Tamron 400 F4.

Started Jun 22, 2014 | Discussions
yesman12 Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Tamron 400 F4.

I recently bought this lens in good condition... These were processed for sharpness and exposure but no CA adjustment in either. There are shots where CA and PF showed up but not in these....

Comments please....

f6.7 ISO 280 not cropped

f6.7 ISO 800 50% cropped

-- hide signature --

A picture is worth a thousand words but talk is cheap.
Best regards
Nick

yesman12's gear list:yesman12's gear list
Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Greyser Veteran Member • Posts: 4,975
Re: Tamron 400 F4.

Good job! The lens is capable, but is is not easy to make such a quality MF. I used to have Tamron 400/4 a few years ago. My main goal was to pair it with 1.7x AFA TC. I did not work out well for me.

I replaced it first with FA*300/4.5 +Tamron 1.4x AF-Pz TC. Then I upgraded to Sigma 500/4.5.

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Nikon D500 Pentax K-1
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337

They look pretty good to me. However, I would have used a smaller aperture (perhaps f/9) myself. That would have probably gotten the rear claw on that first bird in focus. It also could be that the focus was more on the branches in front of the bird.

I would give the lens another test with a subject that is clear of all obstructions (branches). I would also test it using Live View for focusing in addition to viewfinder focusing.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,501

"These were processed for sharpness and exposure but no CA adjustment in either. There are shots where CA and PF showed up but not in these...."

Unless your trees (in the first shot) have purple limbs and twigs, I would have to disagree.

As for the second shot, I think there is not enough in the way of contrasty areas to invoke CA or PF.

OP yesman12 Contributing Member • Posts: 906

Fair point there is some PF around the twigs but I was more focused on the bird...I had the 300F2.8 but that was much more prone to PF.

i dont think the contrast is as high on these lenses as on more modern designs.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Nick

KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,465

The later 360B 300/2.8 is better in the CA and PF areas than the earlier 107B or 60B. I had a 400/4 also that previously belonged to the originator of the Adaptall-2.com website. I thought the lens was plenty sharp but the difference between it and my 360B model was mainly it was not quite as sharp but still very good. The extra stop of the 360B speed wise made it the lens I tended to use most. The 400/4 lens formula was basically a stretched 300/2.8. I also tried the 1.7x AFA on both lenses and I tended to use it most on the 300/2.8.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
OP yesman12 Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Re: Tamron 400 F4. now with 1.7 AF TC

I took some shots with the 400 & Pentax 1.7AF TC and compared it to DA*300 & Pentax 1.7 AF TC.

I tired to position myself such that the image size is the same.  The first of these shots is DA* & TC The second is the tamron 400mm &TC.  I move backed to approximate similar FOV.  Note that I cropped and adjusted exposure to try to get both to be as equal as possible.  Both are at F6.7  (F4 on the lens but adjusted due to converter) and ISO 400.

I think the DA* is capturing more detail, but not by much.... Note that both do not show much CA.  I even pointed the 400&TC onto tree branches but am not getting much PF... CA seems to be ok( some Green but not awful).

Comments please

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Nick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads