Does OMD em1 have PTP

Started Jun 20, 2014 | Discussions
Chumby
Chumby Regular Member • Posts: 327
Does OMD em1 have PTP

Hi,

Does any know the answer to this? Cant seem to find the details anywhere...

Cheers
Chumby

Chumby's gear list:Chumby's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 +21 more
SLOjoe
SLOjoe Regular Member • Posts: 260
Re: Does OMD em1 have PTP

Sorry if i'm being somewhat dense and not in the know,

but what is PTP? thanks,

cheers and beers,

Joe

Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679

No idea what a PTP is.  Please tell us.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
uRebel Rob Senior Member • Posts: 1,345

Michael M Fliegel wrote:

No idea what a PTP is. Please tell us.

Best guesses:

Precision Time Protocol?
Picture Transfer Protocol?

Acromyn has 87 different ones listed, so agree: we need some help to help the OP.

uRebel Rob's gear list:uRebel Rob's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 +17 more
Phil Rose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,843

I think it's "Post Traumatic Pixels".

Phil

-- hide signature --
 Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Michael M Fliegel

Parallel Time Portal?

Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
Michael M Fliegel

Pregnancy Test Program?  Heck I give up!

SLOjoe
I don't think Chumby has any idea either!

No text.

Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 3,666
Yes. Lots of them.

People Taking Photos

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

jonnieb
jonnieb Regular Member • Posts: 465

I would think, peer-to-peer

-- hide signature --

Jonnieb

jonnieb's gear list:jonnieb's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +13 more
Adamant Contributing Member • Posts: 729

This post was a total fail.

Chumby
OP Chumby Regular Member • Posts: 327

Submit a post - wake up and see this Oh well hope you had fun...

For anyone who cares...

I am getting into timelapse on the em01. The default settings for timelapse are very limited.

an available app - http://dslrdashboard.info/ works well in conjunction with nikon and canon cameras and the excellent LRTimelapse program to produce stunning timelapses.

PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) is used on the Nikons and Canons to transfer images to tablets.

I know the em01 transfers pictures via the Olypmus OI.Share app - but not sure what protocol it uses. For dslrdashboard to ever work with olympus it needs (as a starting point) a camera that uses the PTP protocol.

Hence my question. Google tells me the em5 doesn't but that is as far as I can find.

Would like to get back to the developer of dslrdashboard with some info on this...

That's all...

Cheers
Chumby

Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 +21 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,318

Chumby wrote:

... I am getting into timelapse on the em01. The default settings for timelapse are very limited.

an available app - http://dslrdashboard.info/ works well in conjunction with nikon and canon cameras and the excellent LRTimelapse program to produce stunning timelapses.

PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) is used on the Nikons and Canons to transfer images to tablets.

I know the em01 transfers pictures via the Olypmus OI.Share app - but not sure what protocol it uses. For dslrdashboard to ever work with olympus it needs (as a starting point) a camera that uses the PTP protocol.

Hence my question. Google tells me the em5 doesn't but that is as far as I can find.

Would like to get back to the developer of dslrdashboard with some info on this...

Sorry, just saw this thread. The E-M1 supports Pictbridge, which is a higher level protocol. From PCTECHGUIDE.COM ("What is Pictbridge and PTP?" ):

... In PictBridge, USB is used as a physical layer, and Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) is used as the transport layer protocol. ...

Given someone working on implementing software at this level, the possibility exists that the E-M1 can be made compatible with dslrdashboard since the transport layer protocol is there, but it might take some doing.

-- hide signature --
Chumby

appreciate that Godfrey - really do.

I know a while back there was an Olympus Developer api that you could subscribe to and get access to the development files for my E3.

Is there such a thing around now for the EM1? The developer would need to get access to these I imagine as the next step...apparently the Nikon and Canon development files are readily available.

Cheers
Chumby

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,318

To the best of my knowledge, Olympus has not yet released an SDK for the E-M1. That said, the E-3 SDK might well have enough information in it to deduce how emulate a Pictbridge compatible client side device like a printer. Or there might be some open source code available to work with.

-- hide signature --
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,464
Here you go Chumby...
 daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Chumby
Re: Here you go Chumby...

Thanks for these reply's daddyo and godfrey. Will check out the link.

I signed up for the E-3 SDK but was never given access to it... my request seemed to go into the Olympus ether...

I'll keep hunting around...

Cheers

Chumby

Chumby

Looks like some nice development (reverse engineering) is going on here...

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3579412#forum-post-53890312

CheersChumby

SLOjoe

Sorry for the somewhat rough treatment...like I said somewhat dense about such subjects!

Perhaps better in the PC, Android or Ios forums, at least folks there more than likely know of what

you speak.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads