Photoshop CC 2014

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,130
Photoshop CC 2014
1

Adobe held an Applesc - Hello New York, Hello World - conference to announce the all new Creative Cloud 2014 yesterday. Unfortunately it didnt really match the hype for photographers at least.

1) Lightroom 5.5 launched - no noticeable additional functionality. No mention of LR6.
2) LR Mobile update = minor increases in functionality but nothing significant like smart collection integration
3) A whole host of other IOS based apps were launched including a mobile photoshop. A couple of impressive drawing apps, I suspect the mobile photoshop app is a gimmick to show your friends content aware fill.
4) Photoshop CC 2014 was launched. Rather strange to me this downloads as a totally separate program to Photoshop CC. But additional features are not that impressive. Of note...
a) Select areas of image in focus. Could be useful I guess.
b) Smart guides. These look useful.
c) Expanded font collection. Fonts now preview on your text as you scroll over different choices. Very nice.
d) Blur gallery adds non-linear motion and spin blur (as in spinning wheel)
e) Content aware features now include color blending option. This should be good.
f) Pin edges to liquify for warping in from image edges. This is useful but it only applies to the edge of the photo not the edges within the photo.
g) For Windows users. Needs to be turned on in preferences. Scaling of UI 200%. Seems to be a bit extreme to me. Would like adjustable UI scaling.

Possibly the most important news or possibly not. Adobe announced that the current LR and PS price is 'the' price and not an 'introductory price' US$9.95. I have a feeling they did say something similar before. I did notice that the photography offer on the website no longer says 'limited period offer' with it. Given that Adobe hasnt added any killer features since CC was launched, there doesnt seem that much incentive to upgrade from CS6.

A full list of additional features available at Adobe.com.

jackzuckerphotography Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Abrak wrote:

Adobe held an Applesc - Hello New York, Hello World - conference to announce the all new Creative Cloud 2014 yesterday. Unfortunately it didnt really match the hype for photographers at least.

Disagree . Focus masking, enhancements to the pen tool, new blur tools and the ability to blur along a path are huge to me.

Johanfoto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,763
Re: Photoshop CC 2014
2

jackzuckerphotography wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Adobe held an Applesc - Hello New York, Hello World - conference to announce the all new Creative Cloud 2014 yesterday. Unfortunately it didnt really match the hype for photographers at least.

Disagree . Focus masking, enhancements to the pen tool, new blur tools and the ability to blur along a path are huge to me.

The problem is that photographers created their own hype. All Adobe did was e-mail an invitation to an online event. Big deal. But lots of photographers here knew for certain that this was going to be the launch of Lightroom 6. Why? Not because Adobe gave any hint in that direction, but simply because they wanted it to be the launch of Lightroom 6. People like me, who pointed out this was nonsense, were ignored. And now they are disappointed that it didn't happen.

-- hide signature --
jackzuckerphotography Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Johanfoto wrote:

jackzuckerphotography wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Adobe held an Applesc - Hello New York, Hello World - conference to announce the all new Creative Cloud 2014 yesterday. Unfortunately it didnt really match the hype for photographers at least.

Disagree . Focus masking, enhancements to the pen tool, new blur tools and the ability to blur along a path are huge to me.

The problem is that photographers created their own hype. All Adobe did was e-mail an invitation to an online event. Big deal. But lots of photographers here knew for certain that this was going to be the launch of Lightroom 6. Why? Not because Adobe gave any hint in that direction, but simply because they wanted it to be the launch of Lightroom 6. People like me, who pointed out this was nonsense, were ignored. And now they are disappointed that it didn't happen.

I guess I object to the premise that lightroom is for photographers but photoshop isn't. I find lightroom useful only in cataloging an image and/or making global adjustments to the image prior to editing in photoshop so for me, the announcement wasn't disappointing.

I wasn't all that thrilled with the adobe back-patting that was going on but based on the success of apple conferences, this tactic is not all that surprising.

Ailish Eklof Regular Member • Posts: 328
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Abrak wrote:

4) Photoshop CC 2014 was launched. Rather strange to me this downloads as a totally separate program to Photoshop CC.

Yes, I thought this was rather odd.  I now have three PS versions on my system.  CS5, which I'm keeping while it works, since I have a perpetual license for it; CC, which I thought would just be periodically updated with new features; and CC (2014), which is new.

I'm thinking I can probably safely uninstall the previous version of CC, and just have CS5 and CC (2014) left, but I'm not certain.

-- hide signature --

Ailish

 Ailish Eklof's gear list:Ailish Eklof's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 2,292
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Ailish Eklof wrote:

Abrak wrote:

4) Photoshop CC 2014 was launched. Rather strange to me this downloads as a totally separate program to Photoshop CC.

Yes, I thought this was rather odd. I now have three PS versions on my system. CS5, which I'm keeping while it works, since I have a perpetual license for it; CC, which I thought would just be periodically updated with new features; and CC (2014), which is new.

I'm thinking I can probably safely uninstall the previous version of CC, and just have CS5 and CC (2014) left, but I'm not certain.

This question was posed in another forum and apparently you can safely uninstal CC but I'm still hapily using CS6, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

-- hide signature --

Ailish

jackzuckerphotography Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Jestertheclown wrote:

Ailish Eklof wrote:

Abrak wrote:

4) Photoshop CC 2014 was launched. Rather strange to me this downloads as a totally separate program to Photoshop CC.

Yes, I thought this was rather odd. I now have three PS versions on my system. CS5, which I'm keeping while it works, since I have a perpetual license for it; CC, which I thought would just be periodically updated with new features; and CC (2014), which is new.

I'm thinking I can probably safely uninstall the previous version of CC, and just have CS5 and CC (2014) left, but I'm not certain.

This question was posed in another forum and apparently you can safely uninstal CC but I'm still hapily using CS6, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

does the cc 2014 install move over all the plugins, macros, patterns, etc?

Jack Hogan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,682
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Abrak wrote:

3) A whole host of other IOS based apps

Adobe is just the best.  Soon CC is going to work on Macs only and then they are going to merge with Apple, simultaneoulsy disappering in a puff of (red) smoke

birdpix Senior Member • Posts: 1,411
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

jackzuckerphotography wrote:

does the cc 2014 install move over all the plugins, macros, patterns, etc?

Moved my workspace setting after a prompt, but did not move any of my filters / plug-ins from CC to PS CC-2014 for me. Lightroom 5.5 did move my presets and custom settings. Using Win 7.

Had to reinstall several plug-ins today - OnOne Suite seems to work through the "automate" menu, and Imagenomic's Portraiture seems to work okay as well.

Alien Skin (discontinued) Image Dr. did NOT work and totally crashed photoshop repeatedly every time I tried it.  I use a Wacom Intous 4 graphics tablet, but based on previous major conflict issues with that and Topaz filters, I did not have the patience to even try installing Topaz today, so don't know about that one.

-- hide signature --

Eric in Florida

 birdpix's gear list:birdpix's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D750
bettyswolloks
bettyswolloks Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

It will not work for me, the whole 2014 update has been a BIG disappointment for me. 1st LR wouldn't open, I had to un-install it then re-install it. Now photoshop wont bloody open.

 bettyswolloks's gear list:bettyswolloks's gear list
Pentax Optio I-10 Kodak DCS560 Pentax K10D Pentax Q Nikon D600 +13 more
jackzuckerphotography Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

Jack Hogan wrote:

Abrak wrote:

3) A whole host of other IOS based apps

Adobe is just the best. Soon CC is going to work on Macs only and then they are going to merge with Apple, simultaneoulsy disappering in a puff of (red) smoke

no, whiners are the best.

Jim Hess Veteran Member • Posts: 5,416
Re: Photoshop CC 2014
1

I haven't joined the Adobe creative cloud. I'm using Windows 7. I have Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CS6. I don't use any of the mobile features in Lightroom. I haven't experienced any interruption in my workflow since installing Lightroom 5.5 and Camera Raw 8.5. Everything just works like it always has. At this point, I think it would take a significant change motivate me to do anymore upgrading or updating. It seems like with all these new features that users have become subscribing beta testers. All I want to do is work on my images.

jackzuckerphotography Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

birdpix wrote:

jackzuckerphotography wrote:

does the cc 2014 install move over all the plugins, macros, patterns, etc?

Moved my workspace setting after a prompt, but did not move any of my filters / plug-ins from CC to PS CC-2014 for me. Lightroom 5.5 did move my presets and custom settings. Using Win 7.

Had to reinstall several plug-ins today - OnOne Suite seems to work through the "automate" menu, and Imagenomic's Portraiture seems to work okay as well.

Alien Skin (discontinued) Image Dr. did NOT work and totally crashed photoshop repeatedly every time I tried it. I use a Wacom Intous 4 graphics tablet, but based on previous major conflict issues with that and Topaz filters, I did not have the patience to even try installing Topaz today, so don't know about that one.

i had to copy my plugins manually but so far, all of them work. Portraiture, portraitpro, nik, topaz, alienskin, didn't try onone but I have version 6 which crashes even without CC's upgrades.

jackzuckerphotography Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Photoshop CC 2014

bettyswolloks wrote:

It will not work for me, the whole 2014 update has been a BIG disappointment for me. 1st LR wouldn't open, I had to un-install it then re-install it. Now photoshop wont bloody open.

mine all work fine, without issue.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads