RX10 Portraits with wireless Neewer TT650 flash.

Started Jun 19, 2014 | Discussions
phazelag
phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,228
RX10 Portraits with wireless Neewer TT650 flash.

I just posted my RX100M3 shots in another post, but this is with the RX10 using Neewer TT650 rechargeable flashes that allow wireless manual power control and work with all my camera brands.  This was attached to a 22 inch beauty dish on a stand.

This was not ideal lighting, just a hurried and rush test priory to her church event.  I did reduce the clarity on parts of her face to reduce the prominence of her acne at her request.  She is not insecure, just doesn't like how the flash can exaggerate those blemish or bumps. It was windy and her hair started to fly around and I wasnt about to fix all that in photoshop.

The Sony lens is sharp and this setup was easy to do.  I left a few with harsh light on the left  of her in on my website so you could see the high shutters were no problem with flash using this leaf shutter camera.  Please don't comment on the harsh light to her left in a few as I was just moving around trying to also get some Bokeh in an environment situation.  This was a rushed test.  The last few photos are 3x size as DPreview won't take the originals sizes from my site as usual.  You can see them on my site if you pixel peep.

Here is the Link to whole series of the RX10 if you want to see them. Just click the i at the bottom for the exif data. http://www.scottzinda.com/Point-and-Shoot-Cameras/Sony-RX-10-Test-Shots/

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cchen2
cchen2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171
Re: RX10 Portraits with wireless Neewer TT650 flash.

Well done! She's a lovely young lady. Nice bokeh and diffused flash effect. Thanks for showing your set up- glad you are part of this forum!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

cchen2's gear list:cchen2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6300 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (Sony)
phazelag
OP phazelag Veteran Member • Posts: 3,228

Well done! She's a lovely young lady. Nice bokeh and diffused flash effect. Thanks for showing your set up- glad you are part of this forum!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Just one life, twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last

Thank you.
--
http://www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag

Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Tom Ki Senior Member • Posts: 1,251

Very well balanced shots and beautiful subject.

Did you use manual camera settings and manual control of the flash?  If you did use manual, what metering mode(spot, center)  or  do you use a handheld incident meter?

-- hide signature --

Tom
My Vimeo Travel videos
https://vimeo.com/album/2818274

phazelag

Tom Ki wrote:

Very well balanced shots and beautiful subject.

Did you use manual camera settings and manual control of the flash? If you did use manual, what metering mode(spot, center) or do you use a handheld incident meter?

-- hide signature --

Tom
My Vimeo Travel videos
https://vimeo.com/album/2818274

I shoot in Aperture Priority mostly with Spot metering based on the smallest focus point.  I just place the focus point on the subjects eyes, then lock the exposure and focus with the half shutter and recompose.

Indoors I shot in manual as I am used to studio work and generally know my settings.  I just had to adapt a bit for the look I wanted so I could ambient light.

The flash was wirelessly controlled, but it was manual setting.  This system allows me to change the flash power from my camera by pressing up or down on the remote trigger you can see in the last photo.

Peng Bian
Peng Bian Contributing Member • Posts: 608

Honestly I think the shots in this series (RX10) are better than those taken with your M3. Not because the image quality is better, but because ofbthe longer focal length the subject looks much more pleasing. In comparison the M3 shots look distorted in comparison.

I will stick to my EM5 with the 75mm f/1.8 for portraits.
--
http://500px.com/PBian

Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
phazelag
I agree

Peng Bian wrote:

Honestly I think the shots in this series (RX10) are better than those taken with your M3. Not because the image quality is better, but because ofbthe longer focal length the subject looks much more pleasing. In comparison the M3 shots look distorted in comparison.

--

I agree the RX10 series is nicer. The point the of the M3 photos was just to show what it can do. It seemed there was a lot of talk of the M3's ability to do head and shoulder portraits based on its 70mm f2.8 design.

So I figured why not see what it can do under better lighting. I also started indoors with no specific studio and the RX10 landed outside in better conditions. But yes the focal length did produce more pleasing results.

For real portraits I use my G5 and my Oly 45mm f1.8. (90mm equiv).

I did think since the only other portraits demonstrating the M3 abilities were kind of cool and not ideal,there would be more discussion on this, but apparently arguing over shipping from B and H is more fun! LOL.

I also thought there would be more discussion about how well the tillable pop flash worked for slave mode, etc.  I guess thats for the technique forum.

Peng Bian
Peng Bian Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: I agree

Peng Bian wrote:

--

I agree the RX10 series is nicer. The point the of the M3 photos was just to show what it can do. It seemed there was a lot of talk of the M3's ability to do head and shoulder portraits based on its 70mm f2.8 design.

So I figured why not see what it can do under better lighting. I also started indoors with no specific studio and the RX10 landed outside in better conditions. But yes the focal length did produce more pleasing results.

I did think since the only other portraits demonstrating the M3 abilities were kind of cool and not ideal,there would be more discussion on this, but apparently arguing over shipping from B and H is more fun! LOL.

I also thought there would be more discussion about how well the tillable pop flash worked for slave mode, etc.  I guess thats for the technique forum.

Yes, but because it's the official release date of that camera. For the lucky ones that already have this camera in our possession, it's not too interesting. Haha.

I think it's interesting to use the flash in this way in portrait mode. The problem is nobody who has studio equipment will be using this camera in studio shots outside of testing.

-- hide signature --
 Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
phazelag
Re: I agree

Peng Bian wrote:

Peng Bian wrote:

--

I also thought there would be more discussion about how well the tillable pop flash worked for slave mode, etc. I guess thats for the technique forum.

Yes, but because it's the official release date of that camera. For the lucky ones that already have this camera in our possession, it's not too interesting. Haha.

I think it's interesting to use the flash in this way in portrait mode. The problem is nobody who has studio equipment will be using this camera in studio shots outside of testing.

-- hide signature --

I know thats all true.  I just like to experiment in crazy ways!

Rick Evertsz
Rick Evertsz Regular Member • Posts: 295

Peng Bian wrote:

Strangely, I prefer the facial proportions in the RX100 shots. This just shouldn't be so! Perhaps it has something to do with her unique facial proportions, and of course, personal taste. There are so many variables at play here, but it's nice to see that the RX100m3 can take nice portraits.

Rick Evertsz's gear list:Rick Evertsz's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +1 more
phazelag
Yes the angles and light were not scientific

Rick Evertsz wrote:

Peng Bian wrote:

Strangely, I prefer the facial proportions in the RX100 shots. This just shouldn't be so! Perhaps it has something to do with her unique facial proportions, and of course, personal taste. There are so many variables at play here, but it's nice to see that the RX100m3 can take nice portraits.

Its tough to tell, but what I "could" see was two sharp lenses although in pixel peeping the I think the RX10 is sharper, and two very fun and useful cameras.

EsVeeFoto Regular Member • Posts: 168

Hey Scott,

What radio triggers are you using? Do you need both a transmitter and receiver to work with the Neewer flash or only the transmitter?

Thanks.

phazelag
Correction its the TT850 flash.

EsVeeFoto wrote:

Hey Scott,

What radio triggers are you using? Do you need both a transmitter and receiver to work with the Neewer flash or only the transmitter?

Thanks.

I am using the Godox 16 channel with receiver. My correction I am using the TT850 not the the 650 flash. Yes you need the reviver too.  They come as a set.   Godox/Neewer/cheatahlight are all the Same.

http://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Channel-Receiver-Speedlite/dp/B00GFMNQ9E/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_y--

http://www.scottzinda.com
http://instagram.com/phazelag

EsVeeFoto Regular Member • Posts: 168
Re: Correction its the TT850 flash.

Thanks for the info, Scott.

phazelag
Re: Correction its the TT850 flash.

EsVeeFoto wrote:

Thanks for the info, Scott.

Sure, no problem.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads