Software for Sony Alpha & NEX cameras

Started Jun 18, 2014 | Discussions
ZaneO Junior Member • Posts: 47
Software for Sony Alpha & NEX cameras

I've recently spent a great deal of time trying to get various bits of software for my shiny new Sony Alpha a6000.

It came out of the box with no software, and the manuals made no mention of any software available, except lens firmware updates that were not applicable to me.

I've waded through many forum threads, google seaches, youtube videos, Sonys website, Sonys app store, Googles app store....  and finally distilled what is available.

In the hope that I can save someone else many hours, here is my findings.

Note: I dont use any apple products, but have tried to provide links where possible.

Sony software general links:

Somewhere in my searching, I found these helpful 'link' pages.  These link to the Sony software available.  I will provide the direct links I've used also

Sony software downloads for Windows

(Includes: Play Memories Home, Image Data Converter, Music Transfer and Remote Camera Control.)

Sony software downloads for Mac

(Includes: PlayMemories Home, Image Data Converter, Wireless Auto Import, Share-it-Later for Bloggie, Music Transfer, Remote Camera Control, Product registration software)

Sony PlayMemories Home

"Play Memories" seems to be Sonys branding for 'Sony Stuff' in the same vein as iTunes for Apple, and Google Play for Google... 

This is a photo management software for your computer.

Pretty sure you need this if you want to use your cameras WiFi to 'Send photos to Computer' option and/or auto-sync to your computer.

Sony PlayMemories Home for PC

Sony PlayMemories Home for Mac

Remote control from mobile:

Using your phone (or tablet) as a remote (with live view and instant image view/transfer) is actually quite good once you have the right things installed.

First, you need to update to the latest version of Smart Remote Control.  This is an app you install on your camera using PlayMemories Camera Apps.

(If you don't do this, you will not have any settings control)

Then install the mobile app:

PlayMemories Mobile (for Android)

PlayMemories Mobile (for Apple)

This gives control over zoom, touch-to-focus, iso, aperture, shutter speed, ev, self-timer, and white balance.  It also, very quickly, transfers the photo to your smartphone.

Touch-to-focus is particularly nice, given i have an a6000 with no touch screen, and a less-than-speedy way to set the af point.

Remote Camera Control (from Computer):

Tether your camera to your computer, and use your computer as a remote.

No live view.

Adjust all the basic settings you'd expect, and more... bracketing, drive mode, picture effects, and lots lots more...

This video shows how it works / settings control etc.

Remote Camera Control for Windows

Remote Camera Control for Mac

Time Lapse:

If you can get over the sting of having to pay an extra $12 for timelapse, you can download it from the Sony Camera Apps store and install it on your camera.

I haven't bitten that bullet yet, but im sure I will.

Sony Time Lapse

Alternatives exist if you want to use your phone...

Timelapse - Sony Camera for Android  (Free)

IntervalCam from iTunes  ($0.99)

I've only used Timelapse for Android, and here's my comments:

- Your phone is managing the timelapse, so you can not use the internet or leave the area etc...  You can, of course, make phone calls or send messages.

- Very limited settings control

- The LCD off on the camera stays on, so camera battery usage is a consideration

edit: The app description says "*Take pictures when screen is off", so this must be user error on my part.

- Photos are not converted into a timelapse, but stored as individual images on your SD card.

Other:

Sony software available, but not mentioned, understood, or downloaded by me are included in the links at the top of this post, and include:

- Image Data Converter (for dealing with RAW)

- Music Transfer (la lala laaa)

- Share-it-later for Bloggie (for Mac)

- Wireless Auto Import (Required for Mac, but included in PlayMemories Home for Windows

Firmware updates - It is easy enough to find firmware updates for your camera/lenses on the Sony website via the support tab for your make/model.

Geeez, this took forever to write, so I hope it saves someone the trouble i've had! 

ZaneO's gear list:ZaneO's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon EOS 1100D +6 more
joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,598
Re: Software for Sony Alpha & NEX cameras

Thanks for the comprehensive list.

I wonder if Sony provided any software for video editing or management? I never understood how the AVCHD directory structure works.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView +1 more
octavecat New Member • Posts: 4

Great post. Thanks so much for this. As much as i'm impressed with this camera's technical ability, sony's user experience / ease of use leaves way too much to be desired. The manual is basically an explanation of what menu items do, not why they do those things.

PVCdroid
PVCdroid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,383

Very nice reference list. I didn't see RCCDroid which is the tethered remote control app just released in Google Play Store. Not sure about iPhone version. It's hear and was discussed a couple weeks ago.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53825058

Thanks.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617

ZaneO wrote:

Remote control from mobile:

Using your phone (or tablet) as a remote (with live view and instant image view/transfer) is actually quite good once you have the right things installed.

First, you need to update to the latest version of Smart Remote Control. This is an app you install on your camera using PlayMemories Camera Apps.

(If you don't do this, you will not have any settings control)

Then install the mobile app:

PlayMemories Mobile (for Android)

PlayMemories Mobile (for Apple)

This gives control over zoom, touch-to-focus, iso, aperture, shutter speed, ev, self-timer, and white balance. It also, very quickly, transfers the photo to your smartphone.

Touch-to-focus is particularly nice, given i have an a6000 with no touch screen, and a less-than-speedy way to set the af point.

There is a third party Windows Phone app that is the equivalent to PlayMemories Mobile, M2 Sony Camera Control. This is also available as a Metro app for Windows 8.1.

Remote Camera Control (from Computer):

Tether your camera to your computer, and use your computer as a remote.

No live view.

Adjust all the basic settings you'd expect, and more... bracketing, drive mode, picture effects, and lots lots more...

This video shows how it works / settings control etc.

Remote Camera Control for Windows

Remote Camera Control for Mac

Time Lapse:

If you can get over the sting of having to pay an extra $12 for timelapse, you can download it from the Sony Camera Apps store and install it on your camera.

I haven't bitten that bullet yet, but im sure I will.

The Sony Remote Camera Control application also does time lapse. Great if you own a Win8.1 tablet.

If you have a Samsung Galaxy Android device that has an IR transmitter, I think most of them do, if not all, there are several apps that you can use to trigger the camera, DLSR Remote will do time lapse, sound triggering, light triggering, HDR via bulb, and timed triggering.

Thank you
Russell

The Incredible Hoke
The Incredible Hoke Contributing Member • Posts: 894

Thanks for this thread! I just received my A6000 today and it's charging now. 

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads