EF-M55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM?

Started Jun 16, 2014 | Discussions
67gtonr Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Re: Coming available in Canada..
 67gtonr's gear list:67gtonr's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
John Driggers Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: EF-M55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM?

I agree with your comments and would still opt for the 100mm @ f4 with IS over a shorter macro that was brighter. My goal is macro with a pretty good working distance. I realize other needs may differ. As I don't think we'll see either of these macro lenses any time soon--if ever, I'm mulling using a legacy lens with an adapter--any suggestions?

Markintosh
Markintosh Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

100mm L works really good on the M with adapter. And this lens has an amazing IS.

John Driggers wrote:

I agree with your comments and would still opt for the 100mm @ f4 with IS over a shorter macro that was brighter. My goal is macro with a pretty good working distance. I realize other needs may differ. As I don't think we'll see either of these macro lenses any time soon--if ever, I'm mulling using a legacy lens with an adapter--any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +8 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
Re: That's not huge... this is huge... :-)

Lawrencew wrote:

rrccad wrote:

arielp wrote:

if translate to 529$ , EF-S or Tamron VC would be a better choise... given you can use it on normal DSLR..

bulk - if you have no other EF lenses you want to use - the EF-S and especially the tammy would be huge in a kit compared to this.

If you want a quality 200mm zoom, this is the only way to go on the M

LMAO!

Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,548

TheDigitalDonbavand wrote:

f6.3 at the long end seems odd, wouldn't it be the first lens ever made for EF/EF-S/EF-M mount slower than f5.6?

It might be the first Canon lens made for those mounts that goes slower than F5.6 at the end of the zoom range, but other manufacturers have made Canon mount lenses that go slower, e.g. various Sigma superzooms (18-200, 18-250, 50-500, 150- 500), and Tamron superzooms (16-300, 18-200, 18-270, 150-600). Canon might not have made lenses that go slower than F5.6, because of the AF limitations of most of its DSLRs (only the 1 series and now the 5DIII will AF with a maximum aperture slower than F5.6), but those limitations don't apply to the M.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +23 more
Markintosh
Markintosh Senior Member • Posts: 1,958

I thick think is HUGE!!!!

rrccad wrote:

Lawrencew wrote:

rrccad wrote:

arielp wrote:

if translate to 529$ , EF-S or Tamron VC would be a better choise... given you can use it on normal DSLR..

bulk - if you have no other EF lenses you want to use - the EF-S and especially the tammy would be huge in a kit compared to this.

If you want a quality 200mm zoom, this is the only way to go on the M

LMAO!

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Markintosh.

Markintosh's gear list:Markintosh's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +8 more
kotmj Contributing Member • Posts: 571

Sorry, I did not read through all the posts, but has this lens been released in the US market yet?

Alastair Norcross Veteran Member • Posts: 6,548

kotmj wrote:

Sorry, I did not read through all the posts, but has this lens been released in the US market yet?

No. But it will be available in Canada. You can order from a Canadian store, like Henry's. It's very easy.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 +23 more
kotmj Contributing Member • Posts: 571

Alastair Norcross wrote:

kotmj wrote:

No. But it will be available in Canada. You can order from a Canadian store, like Henry's. It's very easy.

Thanks. Wow, Canon USA really is something.

Lumens77 Regular Member • Posts: 133
So far so good

From the analysis of the MTF curbs this lens is comparable in terms of quality to the 55-250 stm and the 70-200 f4 L IS, setting aside the fact that it is slower of course.

This is a very nice job since the biggest benefit of the EF M mount is for short focal distances. The reduction of the flange distance allows for the design of non retrofocus lenses while a retrofocus design would be necessary with a usual reflex flange distance. This helped a lot for the design of the 22 and 11-22 mm lenses.

Such benefit does not exist for tele zooms.

On the contrary, the smallest the lens is the more telecentric the optical formula must be which increases the constraints for the designer of the lens.

Since the 55-200 STM is significantly smaller than EF and EF S counterparts with similar optical quality I view it as another masterpiece from Canon. Yes, there is a 1/3 stop trade off and 50 mm reduction of focal lens but I do think there was no other design option to preserve quality, which they did.

I guess this one will join my bag when available in Europe.

These are wonderful times for photography.

I nevertheless look forward seeing a 16 f2.0 and 60 f2.0 as soon as possible.

Lumens77's gear list:Lumens77's gear list
Sony a7 II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +15 more
Abu Mahendra Veteran Member • Posts: 5,098
Re: So far so good

Both the 22F2 and the 11-22 are retrofocus. Two give-aways are that unlike telefoto lenses:
● the aperture iris looks bigger from the back than from the front.
● the convex rear-most element.

Abu Mahendra's gear list:Abu Mahendra's gear list
Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +6 more
Lumens77 Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: So far so good

Well, let us say then it would have been less symmetrical with a greater flange distance:

http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/first-look-canon-eos-m

(The optical diagram is at the bottom of this page, sorry the screen copy did not work).

Lumens77's gear list:Lumens77's gear list
Sony a7 II Canon EOS M3 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads