New camera

Started Jun 14, 2014 | Questions
Chocaholic 100 New Member • Posts: 1
New camera

I am 60, have poor eyesight, very poor in one eye. I would like a camera with a view finder rather than just a screen as I find these difficult to see . I like to take pictures of scenery, my two dogs and family . Which camera would anyone Recommend . Not too expensive please .

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,812
Re: New camera

Welcome to DPR.

It's not much information you give us to work with so providing a budget would be a good start.

Anyways, have a look at Pentax. They got dslrs with big and bright viewfinders.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
PenPix Senior Member • Posts: 3,261

The X-T1 has a very large and bright electronic viewfinder.  I think the EVF will be especially useful to help you see when the light is poor.  There are other mirrorless cameras with EVF that are worth exploring too, albeit the viewfinders may be smaller.

For a large OVF, you have to go with a FF sensor DSLR.  The ones on APS-C DSLRs are too small for my liking.

My eyesight is slowly worsening and I am increasingly moving towards the EVF, although an OVF is still better for action and sports photography.

darklamp Senior Member • Posts: 3,567
EVFs very useful for eyesight issues

For someone with poor eyesight EVFs are very handy. Most of the mirrorless systems with EVFs provide focus peaking and a magnified focus view which is very handy for confirming focus and even manual focus.

Not everyone likes them, but I've four DSLRs and an MILC and I find myself more and more wishing the DSLRs had EVFs.

It's worth saying the Sony make the DSLR like SLT range which have EVFs. If you find an EVF of interest but want a DSLR-like experience that's one way to go.

LynniePad
LynniePad Senior Member • Posts: 3,385

Chocaholic 100 wrote:

I am 60, have poor eyesight, very poor in one eye. I would like a camera with a view finder rather than just a screen as I find these difficult to see. I like to take pictures of scenery, my two dogs and family . Which camera would anyone Recommend. Not too expensive please.

Pentax K500 might be the camera for you.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_k500_review/

This is an entry-level camera for about $500. Other cameras with decent viewfinders start at $1000 as far as I am aware. Final cost depends on the lens you choose.

This is an extract from the review:

The Pentax K-500 has a traditional eye-level optical viewfinder which offers an impressive 100% scene coverage. Being able to see exactly what will be captured means that you can only blame yourself for poor composition and unwanted details creeping into the frame. The viewfinder is bright and free of any distortions or aberrations, making it suitable for both auto and manual focusing. It also features an interchangeable Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to improve focusing accuracy during manual-focus operation. The in-finder status LCD runs horizontally along the bottom and it shows most of the camera's key settings.

The rear of the camera is dominated by the large 3 inch LCD screen. The K-500's LCD screen has a very high resolution of 920K dots, wide viewing angle and it remains visible outdoors in all but the brightest of conditions, making it one of the better LCD screens that we've seen on a DSLR.

Ido S
Ido S Senior Member • Posts: 4,923
Fujifilm X20

Go to a local camera store that carries the Fujifilm X20, and try it out. When testing the camera, tweak the diopter: http://youtu.be/R9JurnY4PC4

Ido S's gear list:Ido S's gear list
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
chp Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Fujifilm X20

I second the X20 (for a light camera) and the Pentax k500, in the unexpensive department; it had excellent reviews here, similar to the photography blog already mentioned; I think it is a good deal, and photozone.de rates the included kit lens very well for the price.

As to which of the two, it will come down to holding and manipulating them: keep the one you feel most comfortable with (it 's personal taste)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads