Looks like B&H has MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY!

Started Jun 13, 2014 | Discussions
LenJ Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Looks like B&H has MADE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY!

jintoku wrote:

Len, apart from *one* of their representatives coming on this forum and personally apologizing they have done absolutely *nothing* to rectify their mistake. No apology, not even a notice that the order is delayed, and most importantly, are holding on to the money for ten days before they actually ship the camera, therefore effectively holding customers hostage into their purchase with them when they could purchase the camera any day from BB and have it the next day. That is not optimal behavior by a company realizing that they made a mistake.

I don't want to say that they're particularly bad and that I'll avoid them in the future, but this apologizing for them and pretending that they're saints who put the customers before their own interest is just silly talk. They want to primarily make money, like any other electronics seller, and the reason they're not acting more to correct their error is because this is working out for them: like many others I will keep this order with them because they have my money already and I'm not in a big hurry to get it (but please give me a break attacking those who want it now -- let them have their excitement for Pete's sake and shut up). However when having to pick between them and e.g., Adorama in the future, after this experience I'll be leaning more the Adorama way.

Let me know when the funeral is. Clearly someone died w all this knashing of teeth. ;-).

I wonder how many people were actually affected by this?  10?

much angst about nothing.

Len

newellj Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

Must have been an infant that died, judging by the peer responses... :o

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX100 VA Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,501
You must be kidding

Stephen McDonald wrote:

doctorxring wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

It's amazing to me how many people are brainwashed by the "gotta have it now" mindset being peddled by the consumer manufacturing industry. Especially when most people already have a perfectly serviceable device they can use in the meantime.

Capitalism at it's most beguiling!

That's a fact.

A little faux pas by a retailer that has a track record of exemplary service and people are acting in "righteous indignation" and calling for the axe to fall on them ??

Bad.

Where would the retail electronics industry be, if it didn't have B & H to set a standard for them? In the jungle of shady operators in their city, they stand out like that proverbial lily in an onion patch.

You act like B and H invented digital photography. Some people love this retailer so much they act like they are gods. Without capitalism B and H would not exist! These people are great capitalist. Nothing wrong with that.

I suspect the electronics industry would still be alive and well if your B and H did not exist, B and H is simply taking advantage of our demand for digital electronics which is capatalism at it best!

Just look at the site, DPreview, Amazon did not buy it as a public service, it is strictly to make money!

Capitalism at its best.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica Q Leica M9 Nikon D4
Vince P
Vince P Senior Member • Posts: 1,853

a5519 wrote:

B&H has been cought cheeting. No reason to be happy.

The price of a shiny new camera could also help pay for some English lessons, thereby keeping it out of the hands of those cheeky B&H chaps.

Vince P's gear list:Vince P's gear list
Sony RX100 V Nikon D5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Nikon D850 +61 more
henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 6,812

superstar905 wrote:

In honour of Greg, since the Original thread has reached the maximum posts, and clearly this thread has remained in the top 3 posts in the SAF as such deserves a much needed reset.

Thank you. I appreciate this and your thread title. Since the topic has been dissected to a molecular degree and every possible speculation, accusation, hypothesis, explanation and apology has already been posted I'm going to try to refrain from repeating all I've already said here.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
gteague
gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,378

hey henry!

when i initially ordered i thought i was getting one right away and selected next-day air for delivery the next day. but with a friday ship date only a saturday delivery option would provide next-day delivery. so i called you guys to have you upgrade my shipping method to saturday deliver and it's not even an option and the csr (?lizar?) couldn't understand why--he was very helpful and searched everywhere. i get fedex saturday deliveries routinely from amazon.

what's up with that my friend?

thanks, /guy
--
"The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!" ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more
henryp

gteague wrote:

hey henry!

when i initially ordered i thought i was getting one right away and selected next-day air for delivery the next day. but with a friday ship date only a saturday delivery option would provide next-day delivery. so i called you guys to have you upgrade my shipping method to saturday deliver and it's not even an option and the csr (?lizar?) couldn't understand why--he was very helpful and searched everywhere. i get fedex saturday deliveries routinely from amazon.

Your order is set to ship via UPS. They told us they do not offer Sat delivery service to your zip code. You have my email address. If you want me to find out if we can accommodate FedEx Sat del and what the additional s&h fee would be, send an email (with a note & the B&H order number) please.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

jintoku Contributing Member • Posts: 657

Henry, did Sony tell you that you are not allowed to SHIP before the 20th, or that the RELEASE date is the 20th? I wonder because at least with Apple release date means it can be in hands of owners on the 20th, in which case you could ship e.g., 2 day deliveries out on the 18th and they could get in owners hands on the 20th (Friday). It would be much better than us getting it early in the week, when we can't play around with it. Can you do us all a favor and ask Sony if they can make that compromise, especially given that Best Buy has already been shipping for almost a week?

henryp wrote:

gteague wrote:

hey henry!

Your order is set to ship via UPS. They told us they do not offer Sat delivery service to your zip code. You have my email address. If you want me to find out if we can accommodate FedEx Sat del and what the additional s&h fee would be, send an email (with a note & the B&H order number) please.

jintoku's gear list:jintoku's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +6 more
jlynchtx
jlynchtx Regular Member • Posts: 193

That is a great point. I also was hoping B&H could ship the cameras out so that arrive in our hands on the 20th. It would be the same as walking into a store and buying one on the 20th. Like you mentioned, Apple and other companies do this all the time.

jintoku wrote:

Henry, did Sony tell you that you are not allowed to SHIP before the 20th, or that the RELEASE date is the 20th? I wonder because at least with Apple release date means it can be in hands of owners on the 20th, in which case you could ship e.g., 2 day deliveries out on the 18th and they could get in owners hands on the 20th (Friday). It would be much better than us getting it early in the week, when we can't play around with it. Can you do us all a favor and ask Sony if they can make that compromise, especially given that Best Buy has already been shipping for almost a week?

henryp wrote:

gteague wrote:

hey henry!

henryp

jintoku wrote:

Interesting point and I confess I do not know. I'll ask. FWIW when this topic first came upon my horizon I was told we're shipping 6/20.

UPDATE -- We're shipping 6/19 so customers nearer the east coast & those with overnight shipping at least should have cameras on the 20th. I asked about shipping the 18th and was told if Sony got wind that a camera from us reached the customer on the 19th it would be bad for us -- Red Wedding bad.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,927

henryp wrote:

Red Wedding bad.

Now that would be BAD!

jlynchtx

henryp wrote:

jintoku wrote:

Interesting point and I confess I do not know. I'll ask. FWIW when this topic first came upon my horizon I was told we're shipping 6/20.

UPDATE -- We're shipping 6/19 so customers nearer the east coast & those with overnight shipping at least should have cameras on the 20th. I asked about shipping the 18th and was told if Sony got wind that a camera from us reached the customer on the 19th it would be bad for us -- Red Wedding bad.

is there a way I could get my order upgraded to one day shipping? I would be willing to pay a little more.

Thanks for the update.

Last week on Tuesday, when the website still claimed the orders were going out the same day, I called in and was told that 3-day shipping would not go out the same day and therefore not get to me by the weekend and that I needed to upgrade to 2-day shipping to get it out the same day and receive it before my father's day weekend excursion. So I paid extra for the 2-day shipping, which was rendered pointless by the Sony-imposed delay. Now if my order goes out tomorrow (the 19th) it doesn't seem like I will get it before Monday even with the 2-day shipping I paid extra for, unless 2-day includes Sat delivery. If that is the case, do you think it would be fair of me to ask to have the 2-day I already paid for upgraded for free to overnight?

Honestly, I think a nice gesture would be to upgrade the shipping of anybody who placed their order with you during the snafu last week or before to overnight, and do it free of charge (at least for anybody who writes B&H or you to ask for this). That's what I'd do.

henryp wrote:

jintoku wrote:

Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED +6 more
henryp

jlynchtx wrote:

is there a way I could get my order upgraded to one day shipping? I would be willing to pay a little more.

Phone customer service ASAP: 800.221.5743 or 212.239.7765

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp

Sean Nelson wrote:

henryp wrote:

Red Wedding bad.

Now that would be BAD!

Worse than leaving the Hound bruised and battered at the side of the road with a compound fracture of the femur begging futilely to be put out of his misery?

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp

jintoku wrote:

If that is the case, do you think it would be fair of me to ask to have the 2-day I already paid for upgraded for free to overnight?

You can ask but I cannot guarantee success. Phone customer service ASAP: 800.221.5743 or 212.239.7765

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

jlynchtx

henryp wrote:

jlynchtx wrote:

Phone customer service ASAP: 800.221.5743 or 212.239.7765

Just called and upgraded my order to one-day shipping. The guy on the phone didn't know when they were shipping, but if it does ship out on the 19th, hopefully I will get it on the 20th! Thanks for the heads up.

jlynchtx

henryp wrote:

jintoku wrote:

If that is the case, do you think it would be fair of me to ask to have the 2-day I already paid for upgraded for free to overnight?

You can ask but I cannot guarantee success. Phone customer service ASAP: 800.221.5743 or 212.239.7765

I also already had two day shipping and they just subtracted the amount of two day shipping from the one-day price, and I just paid the difference.

jlynchtx wrote:

henryp wrote:

jintoku wrote:

I also already had two day shipping and they just subtracted the amount of two day shipping from the one-day price, and I just paid the difference.

Did you originally pay for the 2-day shipping though?

henryp wrote:

jintoku wrote:

I called with success. Overnight shipping for the price of 2-day. Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads