any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

Started Jun 12, 2014 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
atracksler Regular Member • Posts: 179
any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

Looking on ebay for a FE 55 and there are a few from japan that are less expensive...

I know that the Japanese bodies cannot be changed form Japanese Firmware...

Is there any disadvantage to buying a Japanese Lens?

Thanks, ad

Paul Kersey Photography
Paul Kersey Photography Regular Member • Posts: 414
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)
1

私であれば何でも、ファームウェアの更新などこれに対する答えだけでなく、中を知っているように思います。

-- hide signature --

PK

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,861
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

Paul Kersey Photography wrote:

私であれば何でも、ファームウェアの更新などこれに対する答えだけでなく、中を知っているように思います。

-- hide signature --

PK

Aha! You wanted to fool us, but I asked my pal Dr. Google and he said,

"I think a firmware update and not only answer to this, anything, as you know the medium, if I.!"

Now, I need a translation from English to English, please?

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,799
Warranty service.

Reports of qc issues in sony lenses are not rare.

padam19 Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

If you have a warranty problem, then it might be a bigger hassle to get it fixed.

It is similar to Canon and Nikon grey market lenses, which are supported and sold by a few US distributors but not all of them, otherwise there are no real differences (maybe Japanese manual, etc.) and the price can be quite a bit cheaper.

dbm305 Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

I bought both the 55 and 35 FE from Japan; no hassles much cheaper and thank goodness no QC issue. I think that QC may be less of a problem with non-zoom non-IS lenses; and also the QC on Zeiss branded lenses seems a little better, though that's not a reliable claim...

 dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7R II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +17 more
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 21,861
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

atracksler wrote:

Looking on ebay for a FE 55 and there are a few from japan that are less expensive...

I know that the Japanese bodies cannot be changed form Japanese Firmware...

Is there any disadvantage to buying a Japanese Lens?

Thanks, ad

My experience with a (superior) !8-55 kit lens from Japan lwads me to wonder if other Somy lenses from Japan might also be superior.

Riquez
Riquez Contributing Member • Posts: 923
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

captura wrote:

atracksler wrote:

Looking on ebay for a FE 55 and there are a few from japan that are less expensive...

I know that the Japanese bodies cannot be changed form Japanese Firmware...

Is there any disadvantage to buying a Japanese Lens?

Thanks, ad

My experience with a (superior) !8-55 kit lens from Japan lwads me to wonder if other Somy lenses from Japan might also be superior.

All mine are JP but my feeling is my 55-210 is not quite up to par. I have difficulty getting sharp images with that lens unless I have really perfect conditions & get as close as possible. Of course that's just my feeling, I could be wrong, but I have given up bothering with that lens due to how troublesome I find it. Also it won't DMF so there is definitely something odd with it.

 Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
RGBaker Contributing Member • Posts: 962
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

Riquez wrote:

captura wrote:

atracksler wrote:

Looking on ebay for a FE 55 and there are a few from japan that are less expensive...

I know that the Japanese bodies cannot be changed form Japanese Firmware...

Is there any disadvantage to buying a Japanese Lens?

Thanks, ad

My experience with a (superior) !8-55 kit lens from Japan lwads me to wonder if other Somy lenses from Japan might also be superior.

All mine are JP but my feeling is my 55-210 is not quite up to par. I have difficulty getting sharp images with that lens unless I have really perfect conditions & get as close as possible. Of course that's just my feeling, I could be wrong, but I have given up bothering with that lens due to how troublesome I find it. Also it won't DMF so there is definitely something odd with it.

I'm confused -- are you claiming you have lenses MADE in Japan or lenses bought from Japan..?

 RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,634
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

atracksler wrote:

Looking on ebay for a FE 55 and there are a few from japan that are less expensive...

I know that the Japanese bodies cannot be changed form Japanese Firmware...

Is there any disadvantage to buying a Japanese Lens?

Thanks, ad

The distance for warrantee claims may be important.

 Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +1 more
Riquez
Riquez Contributing Member • Posts: 923
Re: any disadvantage to buying Japanese lens? (FE 55)

RGBaker wrote:

Riquez wrote:

captura wrote:

My experience with a (superior) !8-55 kit lens from Japan lwads me to wonder if other Somy lenses from Japan might also be superior.

All mine are JP but my feeling is my 55-210 is not quite up to par. I have difficulty getting sharp images with that lens unless I have really perfect conditions & get as close as possible. Of course that's just my feeling, I could be wrong, but I have given up bothering with that lens due to how troublesome I find it. Also it won't DMF so there is definitely something odd with it.

I'm confused -- are you claiming you have lenses MADE in Japan or lenses bought from Japan..?

i live in Japan. All my gear is bought in japan.

 Riquez's gear list:Riquez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads