Canon 6D. Battery Life Horrible.

Started Jun 12, 2014 | Discussions
Tom Boucher Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Canon 6D. Battery Life Horrible.

Hi -

I have a Canon 6D that if I let it 'sit' on battery for more than a day even in the off position the thing is dead when I pick it up again.

For example:

fully charged the batteries.   installed in grip (or, without grip before).  Shoot maybe 100 shots total, all photographs with no flash/wifi off/gps off.

I've tried both leaving it in 'standby' or flipping to the 'off' switch.

return camera to case.   Retrieve it 24 hours later, batteries are dead.

I used to do this with my previous bodies, no problem.  This was Canon 5D, Canon 20D, Canon D60.  All of them with medium to light non-flash usage would take a month before the battery would need a charge, or more when I had a grip and two batteries in it.

What am I missing?   what is doing this?   The main lens I use with the 24-105 F/4L IS lens.

Tom Boucher's gear list:Tom Boucher's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aramgrg Contributing Member • Posts: 733
Re: Canon 6D. Battery Life Horrible.

Turn off gps and wi-fi.
They consume energy even if camera is off.
Update the firmware to the newest one, it seems to have better energy consumption.

aramgrg's gear list:aramgrg's gear list
Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +2 more
DtEW Senior Member • Posts: 2,432

This is not a problem common to the 6D, as I can leave mine sitting around for a couple of weeks and keep the same state of charge.  I can also shoot hundreds of normal shots without causing a significant dent in the charge state.  Even with GPS on, the power draw is surprisingly low.

Therefore, the problem is either specific to your 6D, or your (mis)utilization.

I have noticed there are two instances which do guzzle juice on the 6D:

1. WiFi - with Wifi enabled and active in a tethered state, whether that be between your smartphone/tablet (or presumably, through a router), I can burn through a battery in a few hours of night photography.

2. GPS logging - this is different from merely having your GPS on.  When your GPS is on, it reads and writes a geotag each time you take a shot.  With GPS logging, your camera keeps track of its location and writes it to a log file at a user-defined interval.  This is a juice hog.

Have you checked if you have activated these juice-hog features?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +13 more
RandyB2
RandyB2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,050

aramgrg wrote:

Turn off gps and wi-fi.
Update the firmware to the newest one, it seems to have better energy consumption.

All things to check. Especially the GPS. If you still have a problem you probably have a bad battery. My 6D will last all day shooting a couple of hundred pictures and still have battery left. It is NOT a overall 6D problem.

-- hide signature --

Randy

RandyB2's gear list:RandyB2's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Mr Jam Regular Member • Posts: 328
Check your settings too

I get 1200+ shots with 6D and battery life is great.  But, once I was playing with the WiFi and I set the camera to "Never go to sleep" in the settings menu and then forgot about it.  The next day the battery was completely depleted and dead.

So one more thing to check is, check your settings and check your time to sleep.

Freneticburn Regular Member • Posts: 200

I've taken 1000+ photos on a single battery and still have plenty of battery left.  That's using a 6d with the latest firmware, wi-fi and gps off, and a canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS II with the IS turned off 95% of the time.  I've let it sit for days without losing any charge.  Something is wrong with your camera or the battery if you have the gps and wifi turned off.

Freneticburn's gear list:Freneticburn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +3 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

If you turn off all unnecessary features such as WIFI and GPS (in Airplane mode), LP-E6 battery could take 1000-2000 photos.  I took close to 2000 photos with the same fully charged battery in 5D3 by just shooting no viewing at LCD.

lightform
lightform Regular Member • Posts: 133

Not to pile on, but I too have taken nearly 1000 shots over a months time on a single battery pack charge. Check your settings or send your camera in for repair, something is not right.

lightform's gear list:lightform's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Abu Mahendra Senior Member • Posts: 4,632

I've taken 1000+ photos on a single battery and still have plenty of battery left.  That's using a 6d with the latest firmware, wi-fi and gps off, and a canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS II with the IS turned off 95% of the time.  I've let it sit for days without losing any charge.  Something is wrong with your camera or the battery if you have the gps and wifi turned off.

Same here.

Abu Mahendra's gear list:Abu Mahendra's gear list
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,503

aramgrg wrote:

Turn off gps and wi-fi.

I was about to say that, the GPS & WIFI does indeed drain the battery.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +8 more
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 14,249
Only sometimes

I have had 4 times that the battery was empty the next day, without GPS and WiFi enabled. Twice the camera was off, so I leave it in standby. Once it was tethered to USB (after downloading images). And one time it was in standby.

Usually it keeps power for days and days.

OP Tom Boucher Senior Member • Posts: 1,518

I was unaware of the 'logging' option.  That was the only thing still on.   I've turned it off and we'll see if it behaves better for me.

I knew it couldn't be 'normal'.  Seemed ridiculous.   I never use WiFi so I turned it off completely when I got it.  Didn't know it logged anything.

Will it still geotag?  or is that disabled with the logging thing?

Tom Boucher's gear list:Tom Boucher's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
lucidmedias
lucidmedias Forum Member • Posts: 97

even if it's not the cause of the problem, you should always take the batteries out of the camera when not in use. evens says in the manual.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads