Anyone tried one of those Sensor Gel sticks on a 6D or a 5D3 yet??

Started Jun 12, 2014 | Questions
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,574
good move maybe

Timbukto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I first time heard this product. I might give a try if VisibleDust kit (Orange-color) that I just bought is still unable to clean a few dust/oil spots on A7R's sensor. I tried Copperhill wet cleaning (that works fine with all my Canon DSLRs) on A7R's sensor (my understanding is that it has a different coating) but failed to remove spots.

A shame about not being able to clean the new Sony sensor filters. A fix may be here
For Sony

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I really hope they have a strong engineering explanation for the alpha orange like hue and that the product does not use artificial coloring to make it more 'marketable' somehow.

Looks to be a purposed reformulation to deal with the extra friction of the Sony filter that was a cause of possible residue in the past. And color more like a feature to keep folks from using the wrong stick on the wrong sensor. Like having different colored pumps for diesel vs gas. Smart move.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988
Re: good move maybe

Mako2011 wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

I first time heard this product. I might give a try if VisibleDust kit (Orange-color) that I just bought is still unable to clean a few dust/oil spots on A7R's sensor. I tried Copperhill wet cleaning (that works fine with all my Canon DSLRs) on A7R's sensor (my understanding is that it has a different coating) but failed to remove spots.

A shame about not being able to clean the new Sony sensor filters. A fix may be here
For Sony

-- hide signature --

I really hope they have a strong engineering explanation for the alpha orange like hue and that the product does not use artificial coloring to make it more 'marketable' somehow.

Looks to be a purposed reformulation to deal with the extra friction of the Sony filter that was a cause of possible residue in the past. And color more like a feature to keep folks from using the wrong stick on the wrong sensor. Like having different colored pumps for diesel vs gas. Smart move.

-- hide signature --

Not smart...the stick should be colored than not the potentially residue leaving adhesive gel.  The thought of putting color additives on the gel rubs me the wrong way and I hope its more engineering based than marketing but I have my doubts.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,574

Timbukto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

For Sony

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Not smart...the stick should be colored than not the potentially residue leaving adhesive gel.

Apparently, not an issue as even the original color wasn't a factor (colored gel's been in use for sometime, IMU). Apparently the residue issue was due to the Sony filter being "stickier" than the gel.

The thought of putting color additives on the gel rubs me the wrong way and I hope its more engineering based than marketing but I have my doubts.

Doubts can be a good thing. Pros and Cons

-- hide signature --

Timbukto Veteran Member • Posts: 4,988

Well I see they are endorsed and sold by Copper Hill so that is a big boost in confidence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0046VBEE0/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Mixed reviews there.

I saw some good results but for me I don't get my sensor dirty enough for me to use it over wet clean.  Methanol has a very low evaporation residue anyhow and there is no proof that the gel is any better in that regard.  If I'm annoyed enough to wet clean once in a blue moon I want it 99% clean anyhow and I've been pretty good at it.  This one looks like it gets you to 95% clean quickly and you can use it more often.  But to be honest my 6D stays 95% clean as is without any intervention and I shoot only dusty non-sealed primes.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Timbukto wrote:

Well I see they are endorsed and sold by Copper Hill so that is a big boost in confidence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0046VBEE0/ref=cm_cr_pr_top_recent?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Mixed reviews there.

I saw some good results but for me I don't get my sensor dirty enough for me to use it over wet clean. Methanol has a very low evaporation residue anyhow and there is no proof that the gel is any better in that regard. If I'm annoyed enough to wet clean once in a blue moon I want it 99% clean anyhow and I've been pretty good at it. This one looks like it gets you to 95% clean quickly and you can use it more often. But to be honest my 6D stays 95% clean as is without any intervention and I shoot only dusty non-sealed primes.

A few parcels on my A7R sensor are tough to be cleaned. I applied extra liquid with Copperhill kit and tried hard like sweeping floor (before having a chance to scratch sensor) but still unable to remove them.

http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=432

Just got this Orange version (specially designed for sensors without low pass filter) and will give a try this weekend before trying this Gel Stick. Orange is a magic color

JMckenna Senior Member • Posts: 1,842

qianp2k wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

Yes, I see this new Copper Hill Kit now, combination wet and gel; use the stick as often as needed then the wet tools when required:

Copper Hill Gel Kit

Mixed reviews there.

Like someone else said, maybe when the adhesive hits the oil on the edges, it can't really "pick" it up or adhere to it, just smears it around. For loose dust the gel stick is probably great, but the really stuck on stuff and oil would logically be a lot harder to remove.

I saw some good results but for me I don't get my sensor dirty enough for me to use it over wet clean. Methanol has a very low evaporation residue anyhow and there is no proof that the gel is any better in that regard. If I'm annoyed enough to wet clean once in a blue moon I want it 99% clean anyhow and I've been pretty good at it. This one looks like it gets you to 95% clean quickly and you can use it more often. But to be honest my 6D stays 95% clean as is without any intervention and I shoot only dusty non-sealed primes.

A few parcels on my A7R sensor are tough to be cleaned. I applied extra liquid with Copperhill kit and tried hard like sweeping floor (before having a chance to scratch sensor) but still unable to remove them.

Boy, I don't know what you've got going there, if Eclipse can't budge them, I'm not sure anything will. But let us know how you make out, just be careful.

James M.

bosco1955
bosco1955 Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Anyone tried one of those Sensor Gel sticks on a 6D or a 5D3 yet??

My Eyelead SCK-1 Sensor Cleaning stick is a green-blue color.... not orange.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Eyelead+SCK-1+Sensor+Cleaning+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

bosco1955's gear list:bosco1955's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,137
Re: Yes, I use Dust-Aid and it works great

Am on holidays with poor internet. Will look that up when I get home!

-- hide signature --

Níor bhris focal maith fiacail riamh (Irish Gaelic)
A good word never broke a tooth.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS-1D X +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads