* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #320 14 06 11 *

Started Jun 11, 2014 | Photos
Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,675
Re: Summary and new image to comments..

LouHolland wrote:

This is the result of some slight requested changes...

-

Scott, the post is gone and luminosity is lifted.

Mike, the shadow is slightly lifted on the subject only

Andrew, your 100% is possibly not mine, I think it depends on personal screen format, so I have done a bit to the top as well to the bottem. However I think you wanna took of the upper sky window completely, well that would create a kind of wedding image?

Lou

E3 14-54mm .. Don't forget to enlarge .. Lou

Lou

It end to agree more with the original which looks more "genuine".  The leaves have now acquired a more translucent look and the second "window" framing the sky above the main subject works well to my eye.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

redsox Veteran Member • Posts: 3,093
Re: for baseball fans

Tom Caldwell wrote:

redsox wrote:

I took an opportunity to drive 500 miles to Baltimore to watch my favorite Red Sox go down ignominiously and listlessly to the Os (4-0) on Monday evening. This is Manny Machado (I believe) at Camden Yards, with the well-known (at least to American League baseball fans) B&O warehouse bldg behind the ball park's right field wall.

Interesting, even for a non-baseball believer.

I presume that the warehouse will have another life as a grandstand? Built perhaps by a baseball fan with an eye to the future?

Tom

Actually the warehouse predates the ball park by about 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%26O_Warehouse.

Instead of razing the old buildings when the ball park was built in 1992, much of the existing architecture was incorporated into the locale's aesthetic. The bldg is used for the baseball team's administrative offices and for functions, I believe.

-- hide signature --
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,269
Re: Pee Place

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Zindanfel wrote:

On the local community college campus adjacent to the smokers' lean-to.

Someone has to say it: "well, is that pee on the wall?"

Dunno about the wall, but the hydrant seems to have gotten plenty of caustic attention.

-- hide signature --

Zin

MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,068
Re: Partial Skyline: Miami, a prior working image

19andrew47 wrote:

...The version below is what it looked like prior to the tree removal and a tiny crop to the left side.

Andew

Andrew, the thing I like better in this version is that the bridge seems to have somewhere to go.  In your original, the bridge simply led my eye out of the frame.

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,962
Re: Partial Skyline: Miami

Though some photo purists might take exception I like it a lot better than I would a straight photo. Buildings are not all that interesting to me unless they become art, and you have turned yours into art. Very nice interpretation, stripping away excess detail and letting us see the bones of the buildings without the flesh to distract us.

Re: Church on the hill

I like the image of this lovely structure set into the hillside trees, and especially with Andrew's edit, which gives it a richer tone and more of an old-world feel. I would probably have to get rid of those cables or ropes or whatever they are, if it were mine. But I take more liberties with such things that some of us, when I can get away with it - my weak skills hold me back sometimes.

Re: Folly Cove

I like both the color and black and white versions of this very well composed and executed image. The variegated colors of the rocks surprised me when I clicked on the color version, I wasn't expecting it, but it is lively and engaging. The monochrome one has a darker mood to it. I can't help but see those dark rocks as beached whales, which says more about me than about the image, but that is why I can't quit looking at it.

Re: Charters Towers

That's a pretty impressive piece of artwork. I am very impressed but I don't have a clue how to critique it other than to say that I like it, and am amazed at the skills you've developed to do this.

You remind me how much I miss baseball, having followed my son from t-ball to Fenway. His first big league game was in Camden Yards. You captured what it feels like to be there. We've been in withdrawal for 3 years and will likely never recover.Thanks for the memories.

Re: Charters Towers

minniev wrote:

That's a pretty impressive piece of artwork. I am very impressed but I don't have a clue how to critique it other than to say that I like it, and am amazed at the skills you've developed to do this.

Thanks, I had better put up some of my less prize pics (grin).  I was on a site that behaved similarly to this series of threads "Harphampix" which was a genuine critique thread where constructive criticism was given and received in good light.  I learned a lot from that site.  One of the golden rules is that you don't parade your best work for glory but put up your more experimental work for "other opinions". I seem to have broken that rule but I posted this image quite deliberately to show what can be done to the extreme when a photograph stops being a photograph.

Therefore I am not looking for glory but more exhibiting a point.  As this type of presentation is "different" there are no benchmarks and as it is exacting then any slips in editing literally scream at the viewer out of the page then only the very best versions are worth posting and the mistakes are just from "impossibility" or carelessness. And, yes it is hard meticulous editing sometimes taking days.  Three days for this particular one.  Rebuilding windows behind the vehicles required some ingenuity - pretty heartless of people to park there when I needed a clean image to more easily do this ...

Of course I set my own rules of composition and therefore only I can break my rules

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

redsox wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

redsox wrote:

I took an opportunity to drive 500 miles to Baltimore to watch my favorite Red Sox go down ignominiously and listlessly to the Os (4-0) on Monday evening. This is Manny Machado (I believe) at Camden Yards, with the well-known (at least to American League baseball fans) B&O warehouse bldg behind the ball park's right field wall.

Interesting, even for a non-baseball believer.

I presume that the warehouse will have another life as a grandstand? Built perhaps by a baseball fan with an eye to the future?

Tom

Actually the warehouse predates the ball park by about 100 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%26O_Warehouse.

Instead of razing the old buildings when the ball park was built in 1992, much of the existing architecture was incorporated into the locale's aesthetic. The bldg is used for the baseball team's administrative offices and for functions, I believe.

A big warehouse for B-I-G functions.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

NewGirlLiz Regular Member • Posts: 475
Lou...

Thank you so much for taking the time to play with this photo. I wasn't sure if the pic had much value at all, and I still think it's just an amusing little snap rather than anything more exciting than that - but your changes make it much better. Thank you. I am getting impatient to learn how to do these things but have some big work deadlines between now and September and I know I can't put much time into it till then. But every time someone does something like this with a photo I'm more and more keen to learn! Thanks again

Liz

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 26,103
Re: Selfie in Brussels

19andrew47 wrote:

A strange sight, holding a rather large DSLR in one hand and pointing an iPod at one's self with the other. I like the setting but it would appeal to me more if the verticals were vertical, but I realize you have your own 'slant' on this.

I am having the whole scene "lean backwards" together with the selph-otographer.

But I realize not everyone likes that.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Scott Whittemore
Scott Whittemore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,546
Cool but I wouldn't say cold. [nt]
-- hide signature --
redsox Veteran Member • Posts: 3,093
for minniev

minniev wrote:

You remind me how much I miss baseball, having followed my son from t-ball to Fenway. His first big league game was in Camden Yards. You captured what it feels like to be there. We've been in withdrawal for 3 years and will likely never recover.Thanks for the memories.

Did your son play at Fenway ?? Why withdrawal for 3 years—do you no longer live near a major league team?

If you spent time at Fenway, below are a couple of photos from my first time back to the park last year after being away for nearly 20 years  . . . hope you enjoy with additional memories

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
Manneken Pis

Tom Caldwell wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

(not my selfie but someone else's):

Excellent capture Roel - seen the moment - presumably the selfie was to capture the cherub apparently spouting water over her head ...

Don't let out the location, bound to become a selfie hot spot ...

That little statue is the quite famous "Manneken Pis" (Little Man Pee) in Brussels.

Indeed a hotspot of Brussels tourism and not only for selfies (and has been so since long before the advent of smartphones).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis

He even has his own website, showing (among other things) the different constumes custom-made for him : http://www.manneken-pis.be/

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

to redsox

Thanks for sharing these familiar scenes from Fenway. My son played for the Sox for 3 seasons, going back and forth between Fenway and Pawtucket. So we were there a lot, loved the city. Being "inside" baseball from little league to major league was a heady experience that lasted 25 years so it dominated our lives. He had to give it up three years ago and re invent himself in the "real" world, but we still haven't made the transition from family to fan. I had to develop a hobby (photography) to take the place of baseball, never had time for it while the merry-go-round was still going! We do hope to get back to Boston some day to visit. Great city, great sports traditions.

Scott Whittemore
Scott Whittemore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,546
Folly Cove: Group Reply

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Andrew & Stephen: I actually had to tease out some contrast around the horizon to get it to show up at all. The relatively warm May air over the still-winter-cold ocean caused the horizon and the clouds to be obscured by haze.

Stephen: Yes, it's pretty flat light, with the overcast sky, and I didn't compensate much for that in my processing.

Tom: It was cool but I wouldn't call it cold. May usually brings relatively warmer weather to the northeast U.S. but the ocean's still quite cold and coastal areas are slow to warm up. Still, this was a nice day, temperature-wise. Probably around 60F at the time I took this shot.

Lou: Thanks for mentioning the halo along the upper edge of the rocks. I had been intending to adjust that. It's an artifact I caused when I reduced the luminosity in the blue channel relative to the others to darken the sky and increase definition in the clouds. I have now finally used Lightroom's local adjustment brush to make it a bit less pronounced, thanks to your reminder.

Kevin: Thanks for your suggestions. Lightroom's default rendering of the ORF produces a fairly washed out, nearly featureless sky and dark, blocked up shadows under the rocks. It took a lot of tonal adjustments (local and global) to bring out some detail in the shadows (esp. under the lighter colored rock in the foreground), to enhance the textural details in the rocks, barnacles and seaweed, and to tease out some definition in the clouds and horizon. As you say, though, one can always do more.

Liz, Zin, David & minniev: Thanks again for looking and commenting.

-- hide signature --
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,269
Re: Ruins...

LouHolland wrote:

Ruins of Brederode Castle, Santpoort, Holland. I love the light very today, but I've to bring it back the way I see and expirienced it, it seems the camera has it's own idea and that is not alway I see it. (sometimes

Lou

E3 14-54mm - don't forget to enlarge, Lou

The framing of foliage has the effect of a telescopic view back through centuries of time. This effect is heightened by the viewer's shaded vantage point, looking out into a highlighted past; it's almost a movie effect.

Overall, this is a picture of aspiration. With different knowledge and materials, the builders without doubt would have constructed more grandly than what modern eyes might see as "a hollow pile of bricks." The bit of modern roof hints at the the builders' aspirations, and the future.

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Re: Ruins...

LouHolland wrote:

Ruins of Brederode Castle, Santpoort, Holland. I love the light very today, but I've to bring it back the way I see and expirienced it, it seems the camera has it's own idea and that is not alway I see it. (sometimes

Lou

E3 14-54mm - don't forget to enlarge, Lou

I love the framing on this one.

Excellent use of the foliage for a generous frame around the ruins.

The fact that there is actually even more foliage than ruins, is a bonus.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads