Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

Started Jun 10, 2014 | Discussions
MrPhotoBob
MrPhotoBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.
 MrPhotoBob's gear list:MrPhotoBob's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
crashpc Veteran Member • Posts: 7,192
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

Stuff happens. He was very brave - I´d propably not hesitate to pacify her with not gentle way to not get hurt or equipment damaged(both)...

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

 crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M10 Sony a7R Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Rokinon AF 35mm F2.8 FE
Sandy Senior Member • Posts: 2,150
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.
2

It might not be illegal to fly a quadricopter over a beach photographing people but it is inappropriate.  This in no way excuses the lady's actions but I would have felt pretty annoyed if I had been on that beach.

-- hide signature --

Sandy

 Sandy's gear list:Sandy's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,542
Only 'Inappropriate' In That People are Paranoid (Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.)
10

Not only was the photographer not breaking any laws, I don't see where he was out-of-line in anyway at all either. What is with this nonsense that people are coming up with that says you can't take photos at a beach? Seriously? It's part of the public arena just as much as any other place is. What in the WORLD makes people think there is supposed to be this "iron curtain" fenced around beach areas forbidding cameras is beyond me.

No sir. Those pictures you see on postcards or in those "Places to See" books of the lake or beach, with "environmental" pictures of people enjoying themselves as part of the scenery, where do you think those photos come from? They don't come from people submitting their own snapshots voluntarily, typically they come from someone who is writing the book or whatever taking their OWN photos of what they are seeing. They have every bit as much right to do that at a beach as they do anywhere else in the public realm. There's nothing indecent about it.

These people complaining and saying it's inappropriate are being paranoid. To them I say--get over it. Tough tamales. You're being ridiculous and you might as well give it up. Unless someone is practically angling up your underwear, you have no basis of complaint whatsoever.

-- hide signature --

LRH

 larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon D3300 Sony a6000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +2 more
scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

She either forgot to take her tranq pills or she is overdue for a prescription.

drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,192
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.
2

While the photographing people on a beach does not bother me, the fact that an individual can operate one on a crowded beach with no laws requiring the individual flying the drone to be competent or that the drone be safe do both bother me.

-- hide signature --

drj3

 drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
chiane Veteran Member • Posts: 4,397
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.
2

drj3 wrote:

While the photographing people on a beach does not bother me, the fact that an individual can operate one on a crowded beach with no laws requiring the individual flying the drone to be competent or that the drone be safe do both bother me.

You staying up at night thinking about it?

I am sure those evil beach kite flyers have given you a sleepless night or two over the years as well. I dare to think of the unlicensed Frisbee throwers.

rickyred Contributing Member • Posts: 529
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

Does she realize while assaulting this kid, she is being photographed? Hope she likes a little jail time. Lets she her try to do that to me? P.S this woman is nuts and dangers

 rickyred's gear list:rickyred's gear list
Canon EOS 7D
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,192
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.
1

chiane wrote:

drj3 wrote:

While the photographing people on a beach does not bother me, the fact that an individual can operate one on a crowded beach with no laws requiring the individual flying the drone to be competent or that the drone be safe do both bother me.

You staying up at night thinking about it?

I am sure those evil beach kite flyers have given you a sleepless night or two over the years as well. I dare to think of the unlicensed Frisbee throwers.

Not personally worried, but if it flew too close over me, I might accidently toss it my Frisbee or volleyball.  If a volleyball or Frisbee hits a quadcopter, which is at fault?

-- hide signature --

drj3

 drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

drj3 wrote:

Not personally worried, but if it flew too close over me, I might accidently toss it my Frisbee or volleyball. If a volleyball or Frisbee hits a quadcopter, which is at fault?

The curvaceous lady you were ogling while hitting that volleyball.   

Sandy Senior Member • Posts: 2,150
Re: Only 'Inappropriate' In That People are Paranoid....

larrytusaz wrote:

Not only was the photographer not breaking any laws, I don't see where he was out-of-line in anyway at all either. What is with this nonsense that people are coming up with that says you can't take photos at a beach? Seriously? It's part of the public arena just as much as any other place is. What in the WORLD makes people think there is supposed to be this "iron curtain" fenced around beach areas forbidding cameras is beyond me.

Thankfully didn't suggest we should not  take pictures on the beach.  It's a matter of respect for others.  If someone wanders along taking loads of pictures of all and sundry they must expect objections.  Discussions on this sort of activity on these forums reveal numerous photographers who ask first to avoid offence.  With so many of us with cameras and phones these days we need to police ourselves before we suffer clumsy legislation.

when I started digital photography few had these facilities and there were rarely restrictions museums,  exhibitions, etc.  Times are changiing.

-- hide signature --

Sandy

 Sandy's gear list:Sandy's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,542
Paranoia Should NEVER Be Respected, and Times Should Be FORCED to Not Change
3

As Wilt Chamberlain once said, "times do change, but sometimes what we need to do is change BACK" (or something like that).

People's attitudes may be changing, arguably, but that doesn't mean what is right or wrong should. I will NEVER be inclined to "respect" someone who is just simply being paranoid for no good reason and is simply being ignorant, especially if they are asking me to stop taking photos throughout an entire public area vs simply asking that I try to frame around them etc. What next, should I "respect" someone by holding my breath and dying of asphyxiation because they're a germaphobe and fear dying of germs because I'm breathing?

Any attempts to change the law to make it to where people suddenly are required to start asking everyone's PERMISSION to take photos in public, that needs to be defeated, and emphatically so--and frankly, anyone who would vote for this nonsense needs to be run out of town on a rail. They're potentially destroying an entire art genre for no good reason, only because they're being paranoid, and paranoid people should not be allowed to write the rules for people who actually have brains and good sense.

As for I operate--if someone asks me NICELY, I don't mind NICELY showing them past examples of photos I've taken and how I have nothing sneaky up my sleeve (never mind that I DO have the right to take photos of them regardless). If that satisfies them, then that's fine, we might even part shaking hands. If they continue to object at that point, though, I then summarily dismiss them with a wave of the hand and a tone that says "I don't have to explain myself to an ignoramus who wouldn't understand good taste if it bit them on the nose." I don't suffer fools lightly, and I don't need to explain myself to an imbecile with pancake batter for brains. Come back and talk to me when you GET some brains--until then, I don't have the desire to explain myself to a moron.

And yes, I have told them as much, and at that point even said such things as "it's not my responsibility to help you with your mental illness, that's what mental institutions are for."

-- hide signature --

LRH

 larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon D3300 Sony a6000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR +2 more
scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Only 'Inappropriate' In That People are Paranoid....

So what happens when we have cameras implanted in our eyes, with all we see and hear recorded and stored, available for review? (Darn, how often I wish I had that sort of hardware)

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

drj3 wrote:

Not personally worried, but if it flew too close over me, I might accidently toss it my Frisbee or volleyball. If a volleyball or Frisbee hits a quadcopter, which is at fault?

god.

besides I'd love to see you throw a frisbee to the height he flew the copter.

I understood what you meant, there does need to be some regulation for those things and I expect there already is but it was a public reserve after all.

She started calling the kid a pervert without any facts, without having seen any video and it wasn't even of her as she was hunting him.

people are crazy, that one moreso.

dougeryb Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

That woman does appear to go off the deep end BUT... There are few to no facts to explain the circumstances on either side of the confrontation. As far as we know, that kid could have been hovering his cam over an open air changing room (side curtains, no ceiling) and her kids could have been in there.

Did this kid have his cam hovering over/following a particular person which could be perceived as predatory behavior? We really have but a one sided glimpse of the situation with few to no facts to pass judgement.

I'm all for the freedoms to photograph in open public places, but with some respect for the people using that space and a dose of common sense. I take pics at public places all of the time, but I also respect unwritten rules of varying environmental/social conditions.

-- hide signature --

Gear: Anything to shoot with, be it a phone, a disposable camera, or my kids Nerf digi-cam.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

dougeryb wrote:

That woman does appear to go off the deep end BUT... There are few to no facts to explain the circumstances on either side of the confrontation. As far as we know, that kid could have been hovering his cam over an open air changing room (side curtains, no ceiling) and her kids could have been in there.

This is absurd, you need to read what you said and then watch the video of her as she she calls him a pervert. Do you understand you have done exactly the same. What if? What if? How on earth do you even justify thinking like this.

Did this kid have his cam hovering over/following a particular person which could be perceived as predatory behavior? We really have but a one sided glimpse of the situation with few to no facts to pass judgement.

One sided, did you watch his video of the flight. It was recording you know, it also how they navigate the copters. You really need to do some work before having an opinion. Go watch his flight video

I'm all for the freedoms to photograph in open public places, but with some respect for the people using that space and a dose of common sense. I take pics at public places all of the time, but I also respect unwritten rules of varying environmental/social conditions.

and deny them here. All the information was available to you and yet you ignored it. You talk about unwritten rules but break the first one.

dougeryb Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

dougeryb wrote:

That woman does appear to go off the deep end BUT... There are few to no facts to explain the circumstances on either side of the confrontation. As far as we know, that kid could have been hovering his cam over an open air changing room (side curtains, no ceiling) and her kids could have been in there.

This is absurd, you need to read what you said and then watch the video of her as she she calls him a pervert. Do you understand you have done exactly the same. What if? What if? How on earth do you even justify thinking like this.

Did this kid have his cam hovering over/following a particular person which could be perceived as predatory behavior? We really have but a one sided glimpse of the situation with few to no facts to pass judgement.

One sided, did you watch his video of the flight. It was recording you know, it also how they navigate the copters. You really need to do some work before having an opinion. Go watch his flight video

I'm all for the freedoms to photograph in open public places, but with some respect for the people using that space and a dose of common sense. I take pics at public places all of the time, but I also respect unwritten rules of varying environmental/social conditions.

and deny them here. All the information was available to you and yet you ignored it. You talk about unwritten rules but break the first one.

When I read the article I only saw the video to the attack, I didn't see a link to his flight video.
--
Gear: Anything to shoot with, be it a phone, a disposable camera, or my kids Nerf digi-cam.

(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 506
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

dougeryb wrote:

dougeryb wrote:

That woman does appear to go off the deep end BUT... There are few to no facts to explain the circumstances on either side of the confrontation. As far as we know, that kid could have been hovering his cam over an open air changing room (side curtains, no ceiling) and her kids could have been in there.

This is absurd, you need to read what you said and then watch the video of her as she she calls him a pervert. Do you understand you have done exactly the same. What if? What if? How on earth do you even justify thinking like this.

Did this kid have his cam hovering over/following a particular person which could be perceived as predatory behavior? We really have but a one sided glimpse of the situation with few to no facts to pass judgement.

One sided, did you watch his video of the flight. It was recording you know, it also how they navigate the copters. You really need to do some work before having an opinion. Go watch his flight video

I'm all for the freedoms to photograph in open public places, but with some respect for the people using that space and a dose of common sense. I take pics at public places all of the time, but I also respect unwritten rules of varying environmental/social conditions.

and deny them here. All the information was available to you and yet you ignored it. You talk about unwritten rules but break the first one.

When I read the article I only saw the video to the attack, I didn't see a link to his flight video.

I know this is the internet but do you really think thats an excuse for mis-information. You have all this access and could have found his flight video in seconds like I did then you would never have made up the fiction about change rooms without a roof.

He looks like a pretty decent 17yo to me but in this world everyone is a pervert.

dougeryb Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Photographer assaulted for taking pictures.

letx wrote:

dougeryb wrote:

dougeryb wrote:

That woman does appear to go off the deep end BUT... There are few to no facts to explain the circumstances on either side of the confrontation. As far as we know, that kid could have been hovering his cam over an open air changing room (side curtains, no ceiling) and her kids could have been in there.

This is absurd, you need to read what you said and then watch the video of her as she she calls him a pervert. Do you understand you have done exactly the same. What if? What if? How on earth do you even justify thinking like this.

Did this kid have his cam hovering over/following a particular person which could be perceived as predatory behavior? We really have but a one sided glimpse of the situation with few to no facts to pass judgement.

One sided, did you watch his video of the flight. It was recording you know, it also how they navigate the copters. You really need to do some work before having an opinion. Go watch his flight video

I'm all for the freedoms to photograph in open public places, but with some respect for the people using that space and a dose of common sense. I take pics at public places all of the time, but I also respect unwritten rules of varying environmental/social conditions.

and deny them here. All the information was available to you and yet you ignored it. You talk about unwritten rules but break the first one.

When I read the article I only saw the video to the attack, I didn't see a link to his flight video.

I know this is the internet but do you really think thats an excuse for mis-information. You have all this access and could have found his flight video in seconds like I did then you would never have made up the fiction about change rooms without a roof.

He looks like a pretty decent 17yo to me but in this world everyone is a pervert.

I totally missed the flight recording, I don't know if the link was dead at the time, but it was most likely oversight.  We saw two videos, both posted by the victim. All evidence points to the attackers guilt, and his innocence, but is that all of the video footage?  I am a cynic when it comes to posts on forums and even verified news sources.  I've seen too much BS online to feel otherwise.

Yes, I believe everything I see, read, and hear on the internet.

btw, Wecome to dpreview letx, it's a pretty good forum overall.

-- hide signature --

Gear: Anything to shoot with, be it a phone, a disposable camera, or my kids Nerf digi-cam.

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,883
Re: Only 'Inappropriate' In That People are Paranoid....

Sandy wrote:

larrytusaz wrote:

Not only was the photographer not breaking any laws, I don't see where he was out-of-line in anyway at all either. What is with this nonsense that people are coming up with that says you can't take photos at a beach? Seriously? It's part of the public arena just as much as any other place is. What in the WORLD makes people think there is supposed to be this "iron curtain" fenced around beach areas forbidding cameras is beyond me.

Thankfully didn't suggest we should not take pictures on the beach. It's a matter of respect for others. If someone wanders along taking loads of pictures of all and sundry they must expect objections. Discussions on this sort of activity on these forums reveal numerous photographers who ask first to avoid offence. With so many of us with cameras and phones these days we need to police ourselves before we suffer clumsy legislation.

when I started digital photography few had these facilities and there were rarely restrictions museums, exhibitions, etc. Times are changiing.

Times are changing, and yet some concerns remain the same:

"Besides the laws of the books it is well for the outdoor photographer to remember the unwritten laws governing the actions of ladies and gentlemen. Do not make a nuisance of yourself. Do not go where you are not wanted. Doing these things puts all photographers in bad repute and makes it very hard for the next fellow who comes along. Certain schools and even certain teachers advise that anything is all right so long as the picture is secured. No picture in the world is that important, and it is never all right to be rude or to fail to recognize the rights of others." Samuel Grierson, Outdoor Photography, copyright 1940

Larrytusaz doesn't understand why some might object to taking photos at the beach, and in a lot of cases I agree. Beach pictures of a kite-flying festival or fishing tournament I can understand, but, as you say, some people with cameras wander along taking pictures of all and sundry, and this is particularly offensive when it involves shooting strangers who are simply enjoying themselves in beachware or, even worse, swimming attire. There can't possibly be anything "gentlemanly" about that.

One of the comments below the linked story sums up my feelings on the matter and mirrors what Grierson wrote 74 years ago. Guest wrote, "Stories like this upset me because I also have a drone that I use with my clients and I'd never use it to take pictures of someone else on a beach without their consent. Legal or not, it's just creepy. If someone's upset, standing there arguing the law is just stupid. Incidents such as this make life harder for those of us that are perfectly respectful of others and our craft."

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads