What feature pleases you the most for new camera purchase

Started Jun 10, 2014 | Discussions
KennethKwok Contributing Member • Posts: 998
What feature pleases you the most for new camera purchase

I have a D700 for family photos. More than enough.

But... I have been thinking of replacing the camera. Probably no good reasons.

Just want a new camera.

When I went from D300 to D700, it was very pleasing.

D700 ISO 6400 is cleaner than D300 ISO 3200.

High ISO improvement is pleasing.

The larger viewfinder is pleasing.

I regret a lot about not buying the D800 for it's Left AF bug. Despite that I do not use the Left AF all the time.

Naturally, I am considering D4s or D800s.

Some internet bloggers said D4s is much better than D800/D800E. It is very difficult to gauge how much is subjective and how much is objective.

E.g. Some say D3 is better than D700. Some say the same.

What is it that pleases you the most after a camera purchase? For me, it's high ISO improvement. We all know how much price difference there is between a F1.8 and F1.4 lens.

KennethKwok's gear list:KennethKwok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D4S Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,084
Re: What feature pleases you the most for new camera purchase

I was so pleased by my first D700, I just bought a second one.

What did I like? Well, better AF than the Canon 5D, and wonderful performance at high ISO, compared to my cropped-frame Canons. I should mention that I am keeping my Canons, especially as I plan to continue using my 7D and 1D Mark II N cameras at work, where cropped-frame cameras are the norm. (evidentiary photography)

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with an EF-S 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L, make evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, and PJ. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +30 more
jkjond
jkjond Veteran Member • Posts: 8,421
U1/U2 [nt]
-- hide signature --

Wedding and fine art photographer based in the Lake District, UK

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,367
Need (NT)
Janoch
Janoch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,773

Delayed shutter!

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Al Giordano
Al Giordano Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Dynamic Range - Megapixels - AF-ON

My Top 3:

Dynamic Range - It wasn't until I had did I know I really wanted it.  I used to struggle with DR in the Darkroom, using digital and with the D800 especially, it's a dream to be able to tone down highlights and bring up shadows in post for otherwise lost photos due to poor exposure.

Megapixels - the resolution and detail compared to my D700 and other cameras I've owned is astounding.

AF-ON - I never used it until the D800 and now I am lost without it.  Any new camera MUST have it.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +3 more
Luke Lim Forum Member • Posts: 86

My first body was D300. It was great but it is not full frame... and I find ISO 1000 and above not as usable as I would have like.

So I got the D700 and I love the cleaner higher ISO. But the 12 MP means I can't be lazy when I shoot. The focus seemed better but D300 was no slow either. My dream would be the D3s (not D3) but cost wise not practical for me. Was waiting for D700 successor and for them to upgrade D700 to include video and better focusing and cleaner higher ISO.

But they disappointed me by releasing D800/e still I got the D800e and love the higher MP. Because it gave me more room to crop and more room to edit without losing much IQ. Love that the higher ISO is slightly better. Love the sharpness. The lower fps didn't bother me. Love that it can take video but I only used it once if at all. Love the increased dynamic range. Love the better WB especially for skin but I still have to re-touch a bit. The focus seemed better for me. The ability to focus at f/8 and low-light better than D700. Hated the SD card as I prefer CF but I still get CF in D800e. Hated they change the zoom in and out button but this is a small matter. Again D4s (not D4) is my dream. Yes if the rumored specs of D800s is true, this would have been my preferred D700 successor but I guess I am still happy with D800e.

Tkopa Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Dynamic Range - Megapixels - AF-ON

yes, yes, yes.

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 6,454
Re: Dynamic Range - Megapixels - AF-ON

Al Giordano wrote:

My Top 3:

Dynamic Range - It wasn't until I had did I know I really wanted it. I used to struggle with DR in the Darkroom, using digital and with the D800 especially, it's a dream to be able to tone down highlights and bring up shadows in post for otherwise lost photos due to poor exposure.

Megapixels - the resolution and detail compared to my D700 and other cameras I've owned is astounding.

AF-ON - I never used it until the D800 and now I am lost without it. Any new camera MUST have it.

I am a B&W photographer.  I spent years developing the developing skills and techniques to master matching dynamic range of the subject to that of my film.  I first tried digital with the D200 and was appalled with the lack of dynamic range of the cameras of the day.  I decided to just keep shooting film until a camera came out with sufficient resolution without an AA filter and with sufficient dynamic range to rival B&W film.

After seeing enough reviews - particularly the DXO Mark review, I decided to try the D800E.  That did it - my film days are over.  My only complaint is the D800E is a bit big and heavy.  Having sufficient dynamic range to realize my vision and the resolution to pull it off is the key to why I am very satisfied with the D800E.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,441

What is it that pleases you the most after a camera purchase?

The Smell after the Unpacking...

overniteman
overniteman Senior Member • Posts: 1,119

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

What is it that pleases you the most after a camera purchase?

The Smell after the Unpacking...

LOL, +1

Oscar Rico
Oscar Rico Senior Member • Posts: 2,375

The ON switch in all of them.

pheanix Regular Member • Posts: 211

I moved to Nikon from Sony last month for the OVF. For my shooting style, the EVF is not an advantage.  In the process of upgrading I also gained better AF, lower noise, longer battery life, etc. The Sony and a couple lenses are still around for certain things.

-- hide signature --

'Shoot first (pictures that is); ask questions later'
Keith

pheanix's gear list:pheanix's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +5 more
OP KennethKwok Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Oscar Rico wrote:

The ON switch in all of them.

LOL

KennethKwok's gear list:KennethKwok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +4 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,441

For ME, a new camera purchase would follow on a line of former camera purchases.  I currently have a D200, D300, D700 and D800e, all with grips.  Only the D800e gets any use now.

There are times I want a second body with me, but it has to be well-matched to the one I'm using.   A DX/FX mix didn't work for me (D300/D700).   While my D200 mixed well with my D300, the D700/D800e combo just doesn't as I invariably go for the D800e only.

So - a new camera would please me if it matches up well with the D800e, meaning FX and similar capabilities.

D800s sounds good just on that reasoning.

D800s sounds better since it improves on weaknesses of the D800e, specifically frame rate.   Been a long time since I've had to shoot at only 4fps.

Each of my last four cameras were primarily purchased because they gave me about 1 stop better low light performance, opening up more shooting opportunities around dusk.   If Nikon comes out with another camera that's yet again a stop better, I'm highly interested.   I've got enough (!) pixels, but I can always use better low light capability and faster frame rate.

Frame rate is even more important for a wildlife (DX) camera, assuming modern sensor.

Finally, I'm really really really sick of having to buy new, overly expensive batteries and chargers.  I get the large battery for grips with my cameras, other than the D200.  Nikon changes batteries on me again, I may pass on a purchase.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +35 more
ARB1
ARB1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321

If you're also talking about cameras other then Nikon DSLRs, I'd say I've grown to love the flip up LCD on my OMD and would like to have one on my D800.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
gina003 New Member • Posts: 2

Go for Canon IXUS 155 Point & Shoot Camera , with fine detailing for capturing live picture. Its revolutionary wide range lens detect the sweet moments with sharp look..

chuhsi Contributing Member • Posts: 999

High iso. I can shoot 12800 and use noise cancelling software to have what looks essentially like a noise free image. It's incredible.

The only reason why I would buy a new camera now is for some huge auto focus improvement like auto focus points across the entire viewfinder or instantly focusing on eyes for sharp portraits at 1.4

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads