Using D600 with SB600 cls for macro

Started Jun 10, 2014 | Discussions
DavePeterson Junior Member • Posts: 33
Using D600 with SB600 cls for macro

Hey all you Nikon Macro shooters...

I am just setting up my macro right for flash. I am wondering if CLS is usable or if I should use some kind of a cable.  I want to use an SB600 in slave mode, driven by my D600 as commander (using the pop-up flash).  My macro rig will be the typical unit with a flash bracket with the flash mounted on a gooseneck and diffuser at the end.

So... should I go with CLS, or just get a hotshoe sync cable. Or something else?

thanks!

DP

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: Using D600 with SB600 cls for macro

Sorry, I have to ask, what is the cls? How does it work wth the SB600?

I have been shooting macro with the R1C1 wireless macro flash units. It works really well but sometimes I need to get the dual flash units out there farther from the lens, or maybe behind the subject. RRS makes a good macro flash ring and arm assembly but it costs over $800 and weighs about 2 pounds without a focus rail.

Using the command mde within the menu system of the D800 is really cumbersome and time consuming. You have to dig way into the menu to change the dual flash settings. The SR-800 command unit makes this much easier to accomplish.

I prefer manual flash settings for macro. The aperture and flash settings control flash exposure while the shutter speed controls ambient light. Once you're close to correct exposure you can adjust aperture or flash settings slightly based on distance. For this type of control you don't need anything fancy to control the flash, just a sync. You can use it wirelss or by direct connection, through the PC connector or a hot shoe cable.

If you use the on board flash to trigger the remote you'll get reflections and shadows of the lens from the on-board flash. Use an IR gel filter over the flash to eliminate white light from the on-baord that will mess up your exposure and lighting. Also turn the power of that flash down to conserve battery power.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Duncan Glendinning Regular Member • Posts: 264

DavePeterson wrote:

Hey all you Nikon Macro shooters...

I am just setting up my macro right for flash. I am wondering if CLS is usable or if I should use some kind of a cable. I want to use an SB600 in slave mode, driven by my D600 as commander (using the pop-up flash). My macro rig will be the typical unit with a flash bracket with the flash mounted on a gooseneck and diffuser at the end.

So... should I go with CLS, or just get a hotshoe sync cable. Or something else?

thanks!

DP

I use my SB600 in slave mode for CLS with all my Nikon bodies. I use a SG-3IR (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sg-3ir&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=) to eliminate the on-camera flash from contributing to the exposure.

Hope this helps...  Duncan

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile

Duncan Glendinning's gear list:Duncan Glendinning's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D90 Canon EOS M Nikon D600
OP DavePeterson Junior Member • Posts: 33

Thanks for the tip Duncan, that will help.  Less cables the better!

CLS is nikon's builtin wireless flash system.  Google "Nikon CLS" for more information.

Turns out there is no need to mask the front flash.  When in menu e3 you can set the internal flash to "- -"

According to the D600 manual when using this setting:

"The built-in flash does not fire, although remote flash units do. The built-in flash must be raised so that it can emit monitor pre-flashes."

Cool...

Looks like I spoke too soon.  The weak flash it emits to trigger other units can be caught by the close-up pictures.  So the  SG-3IR panel needs to be used.

Duncan Glendinning Regular Member • Posts: 264

Yup - that's why I use it

-- hide signature --

Equipment in profile

Duncan Glendinning's gear list:Duncan Glendinning's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D90 Canon EOS M Nikon D600
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 1,966

Yes, when it's "off" it's not completely off. However whether it affects the photo depends on the photo. It could reflect in some surfaces, or be completely insignificant. I use the cover sometimes and use CLS (triggered by the built in flash) for macro using regular flashes or with a ring flash modifier.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads