Good Skin tone canon 5d Mk3

Started Jun 9, 2014 | Questions
huggy020 New Member • Posts: 12
Good Skin tone canon 5d Mk3

What exactly is a camera with good skin tone? Is it just a preconceived perception? For example, unedited posted pictures of the the same person from cameras A and B, followed by comments like camera B has better tone. How would one normally get to that conclusion, given you have not seen the person before?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,041
Most often subjective

huggy020 wrote:

What exactly is a camera with good skin tone? Is it just a preconceived perception? For example, unedited posted pictures of the the same person from cameras A and B, followed by comments like camera B has better tone. How would one normally get to that conclusion, given you have not seen the person before?

Skin tone prefrences are most often subjective. Especially when talking about the JPEG engine of the different cameras...as I assume you mean when saying..." unedited posted pictures of the the same person from cameras A and B"

In a blind side by side comparison, most will "prefer" the skin tone that is slightly over-saturated vs the one that is actually the most accurate. You might be surprised how often folks tend towards the example with the red channel slightly blown vs a more accurate exposure. I find that is skin tones are critical...I simply shoot raw and insure all the color channels are not exposed as close to accurate as possible, then work from there. That takes the manufactures "preferences" for color rendition out of the equation.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

OP huggy020 New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Most often subjective

Mako2011 wrote:

huggy020 wrote:

Skin tone prefrences are most often subjective. Especially when talking about the JPEG engine of the different cameras...as I assume you mean when saying..." unedited posted pictures of the the same person from cameras A and B"

In a blind side by side comparison, most will "prefer" the skin tone that is slightly over-saturated vs the one that is actually the most accurate. You might be surprised how often folks tend towards the example with the red channel slightly blown vs a more accurate exposure. I find that is skin tones are critical...I simply shoot raw and insure all the color channels are not exposed as close to accurate as possible, then work from there. That takes the manufactures "preferences" for color rendition out of the equation.

I was refering to  a raw file . So the "camera has good tone" that I've seen so many times here in this forum and elsewhere is not how accurate the camera depicts the tone of the skin but rather what you will like to see as the skin tone??

Just another Canon shooter
Just another Canon shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,691
Re: Good Skin tone canon 5d Mk3

Perhaps the discussion should be continued in the other thread you started.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
OP huggy020 New Member • Posts: 12

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

Perhaps the discussion should be continued in the other thread you started.

The discussion is for this thread. a mod moved it to the other one. After a conversation with him , he advised that I posted another one here , so here we are

PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,778
Good skin tone is...

...Seeing a photo of a person right next to the same person, under the same approximate light source, and not go: "This isn't he/she".

Some cameras are better at this (either from OOC Jpegs or for the minimal time required to process RAW out of them) for most skin tones.

Given the natural and beautiful variety of skin tones in this great planet of ours, none excels at all skin tones.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

Skin tone is something subjective. Many like Canon skin tone that is pleasing out of camera without requiring much tweaking, not necessarily the most accurate.

dpr4bb Senior Member • Posts: 1,290

huggy020 wrote:

My two cents on Canon vs. Nikon skin tones:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53814608

There is a reference to a blind A/B test that you might find useful.

Just another Canon shooter
Just another Canon shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,691

dpr4bb wrote:

huggy020 wrote:

The problems became visible under different type of light (spectrum, diffused or not, etc.). One comparison is just that - one comparison.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
dpr4bb Senior Member • Posts: 1,290

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

dpr4bb wrote:

huggy020 wrote:

The problems became visible under different type of light (spectrum, diffused or not, etc.). One comparison is just that - one comparison.

I'm afraid I'm not quite following you. Could you elaborate?

Did you watch the video? If so, did you go through the test?

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 16,346
Re: Most often subjective

huggy020 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

huggy020 wrote:

I was refering to a raw file . So the "camera has good tone" that I've seen so many times here in this forum and elsewhere is not how accurate the camera depicts the tone of the skin but rather what you will like to see as the skin tone??

I shoot landscapes with both C & N brands. A lot of color in such images.

First, let's take the case of using two 5D3s with identical setups, one mounted with a 17-40 and the other mounted with the 16-35 II shooting RAW. 9 out of 10 folks in a blind test will pick the rich, smoother color and contrast of the 16-35 II. The lens has better coatings. Could a Photoshop Guru equalize the two images? Probably, but I like the difference OOC. Point being, the lens has something to do with things.

Secondly, take the case of using a 5D3 and D800E (all NR and tone-bending BS disabled) with the same lens like a Zeiss 28mm ZF which can be mounted on both systems. In fact, you can find such RAW files at the link below in my signature. Download a couple and try the following: in a neutral RAW converter (I use PS CC & ACR), strip all settings to zero, dial in identical WBs, use a common profile, and it might surprise you to find out that both RAWs now look nearly identical save for differences in resolution and DR. Point being here, if you can strip it down, you can build it back up with custom profiles that give the skin tone you want. Takes a little effort.

Jpeg formats might be a different I've heard. It must be depressing to have to rely on the jpeg algorithms in these cameras.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link below. Includes 5D3 vs D800E (new uploads), 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads