x100s vs x100

Started Jun 8, 2014 | Discussions
Jen Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
x100s vs x100

Considering a x100s but is it that much better than the x100?  Thoughts?

-jen

-- hide signature --

I never met a camera or a bicycle that I didn't like.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,726
Re: x100s vs x100

it depends.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
historianx
historianx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,566

Jen Ford wrote:

Considering a x100s but is it that much better than the x100? Thoughts?

-jen

Better is subjective imo.  Depends if you want a traditional Bayer CFA (X100) or an X-Trans II CFA (X100S). The X100S being the current model and very popular will cost you more $$, but at times I have seen new silver models going for under $1,000 from Fuji-approved dealers. I think the X100S was released as a more refined unit, as opposed to the X100's release that was plagued with issues from the get-go, with most corrected over time via firmware updates.

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
dmaclau Senior Member • Posts: 2,608

I suspect you'll get many responses but come no closer to an absolute.

I have an X-100.  Before i could afford the cost to upgrade to the S model Fuji offered a FW update that brought many improvements.  I spent the $$ I was saving on an X-M1 instead.

So now the question: do I see a noticeable difference in IQ with the X-M1?...No.  Not really.  It's a larger sensor but I suspect one needs a larger % increase to see a big difference.  There are some RAW processing problems on some (not all) X-M1 images but each camera delivers quite remarkable JPG's.

If I were to replace my X-100 I think the price would make my decision.  For a moderate difference in price I would grab the S, for a large difference the "non-S" is very very good.

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 XF 90mm +1 more
OP Jen Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

I've seen great images from both cameras - more MP is not too much of a consideration - the little camera is meant to be daily use camera - supplemented by my oly system camera and my Canon dSlr .  Hear talk about bad skin tones from the newer 100s - Not sure the extra money is worth the advantages.

-- hide signature --

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474

Jen Ford wrote:

I've seen great images from both cameras - more MP is not too much of a consideration - the little camera is meant to be daily use camera - supplemented by my oly system camera and my Canon dSlr . Hear talk about bad skin tones from the newer 100s - Not sure the extra money is worth the advantages.

Get a nice used X-100 with a S/N of 21XXX and be happy. Excellent images and there is no controversy with RAW processing.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

If you had two X100's you'd have the X200 and then it would be better....

OP Jen Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,032

Gosh, and if I had 3 or 4!

-- hide signature --

Valzi Forum Member • Posts: 60

I bought my used (but in perfect condition) X100 in March and have absolutely loved working with it. I can't make myself motivated to upgrade at current prices because I doubt I will get many more good shots from it than I will from the X100. The S will let you shoot at higher speeds in lower light without noticeable noise. It will acquire autofocus faster. I mostly use zone focus, but I would like the better light performance, but it's not enough to convince me yet.

Valzi's gear list:Valzi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Marcello Zini
Marcello Zini Contributing Member • Posts: 908

Les Lammers wrote:

Get a nice used X-100 with a S/N of 21XXX and be happy. Excellent images and there is no controversy with RAW processing.

Hi Les,

may I ask you why the specific S/N range? I'm about to get a used x100 myself

thanks

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +3 more
ralphdaily Regular Member • Posts: 257

I rented an X100S but decided to keep my X100.  For me, there wasn't much difference.

ralphdaily's gear list:ralphdaily's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100
Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474

Hi Marcello,

Some X-100's with low serial numbers had issues with the shutter blades sticking. I'm not good at searching here but the issue has been covered to death.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
AllanRinggaard Regular Member • Posts: 143

Hi

Just got a used X100, and it really impress me

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3681117#forum-post-53806917

Best Regards
Allan Ringgaard
www.allanringgaard.dk
www.allanr.dk

DarnGoodPhotos Senior Member • Posts: 7,520

IMO. The only reasons to buy the 100 over the 100S is for the price and if you shoot high ISO JPGs.

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Chuck Snyder Regular Member • Posts: 401

I have a low serial number (12XXXX) X100 with no sign of sticky aperture blade syndrome - yet.  But I'm kinda stuck - not easy to sell.  So, in the meantime, I'm enjoying it - but also carrying along an X-E1 just in case SAB sets in at a most inconvenient moment.  Great camera, though; so much fun to use!

Chuck Snyder's gear list:Chuck Snyder's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Marcello Zini
Marcello Zini Contributing Member • Posts: 908

Les Lammers wrote:

Hi Marcello,

Some X-100's with low serial numbers had issues with the shutter blades sticking. I'm not good at searching here but the issue has been covered to death.

Good to know, I'll do my homework before buying

Marcello Zini's gear list:Marcello Zini's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +3 more
Davidgilmour Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Jen Ford wrote:

-jen

not when it comes to IQ.

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400

Faced with a similar question I rented one of each. Wound up deciding that fir my needs the X100 was enough camera, then found a nice deal on a used one.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655

Jen Ford wrote:

If you don't already own a X100, I'd get the X100s for the AF improvements.  The X100/X100s is the sort of camera you'll keep around for a long time since it is more a single lens/camera tool that you adapt to its limitations than something you upgrade very few years.  To me, the AF improvements, EVF improvements are are worth the few extra bucks considering how long you would be owning this camera.

Otherwise, I would start thinking about Fuji-X interchangeable lens system and if/when you want to take the plunge.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +52 more
pcb_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 838

You'll likely find no consensus, they are both great cameras. To start w/negatives:

The primary X100S downside is the additional cost. There is a minority that prefers the X100 Bayer sensor image quality, and there is some general dissatisfaction with X100S jpg skin rendition at very high ISOs.

Early-production X100 may develop SAB (Sticky Aperture Blade), and the repair cost is high. Later-production used cameras sell at a premium for this reason, often not much cheaper than a used X100S. X100 focuses slower, has fewer setup options (no Q button, fewer custom settings, less-sophisticated Auto ISO, fewer MF focus aid options, probably others I'm forgetting), noiser high-ISO files.

I have both, the X100S is definitely faster-focusing, faster-handling, slightly better IQ at high ISO. Every time I use the X100S I wonder why I keep the X100; every time I use the X100 I wonder why I need the X100S. If I could only have one, I'd keep the X100S. The X100 has become my everyday, all-weather, throw-in-handlebar-bag camera. It has an early ser#, so it's not an easy resale, I figure I might as well use it till it breaks down.

Jen Ford wrote:

-jen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads