shaking the s120

Started Jun 6, 2014 | Discussions
Dewitj Junior Member • Posts: 40
shaking the s120

Just bought the s120 as replacement of my broken s100. I love the responsiveness, the screen, the touchscreen (as a lefty it works great!) and the touch focus.

When I shake it, it makes a sound as if something is lose, is that normal?

Canon PowerShot S120 Kodak Pixpro S-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sensingsys Senior Member • Posts: 1,554
Re: shaking the s120

Mine's the same, but hardly at all when powered on. Probably the image stabilisation mechanism.

Molsal Regular Member • Posts: 142

sensingsys wrote:

Mine's the same, but hardly at all when powered on. Probably the image stabilisation mechanism.

Ditto.

Molsal's gear list:Molsal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
OP Dewitj Junior Member • Posts: 40

Thank's that helps. Didn't have that with the s100. Assume it's normal with mine.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,853
Orientation sensor (n/t)

N/T

panamforeman
panamforeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Now wait a minute! I have the S120 and it doesn't make any noise when I shake it. (and why would I want to? I only did so because of this post)

It seems to me that if you shake a camera and you hear something "rattling around" inside the body, or lens, something is wrong!

Hey! Just a thought: I would contact Canon and inquire! With Canon's production mishaps in the last 2 or 3 years (ala S100 etc.)it's worth looking into. Do it before the warranty expires!!

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic ZS100
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,597
My old SX220HS does it too

and it`s not the ball bearing rattle from the position sensor, it`s a heavier rattle than that , I`m guessing its the lens . doesn`t do it when powered on, the pos sensor always rattled on the old ixus series .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR-Iqnjwnck

here an example of the rattling sound of my s120.  it is much less when the camera is turned on, although it is still there.

Is that the same sound?

You are right, I'll contact them next week

mauijohn Forum Member • Posts: 91

My canon s100 that got a "lense error" has a rattling sound when I shake. But I haven't gotten back it yet from canon authorized dealer for repair.

Today I checked with Canon. They 've also watched the movie and told me the sounds were totally normal and there is no reason to think Anthony is wrong with the camera.

MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277

Dewitj wrote:

Today I checked with Canon. They 've also watched the movie and told me the sounds were totally normal and there is no reason to think Anthony is wrong with the camera.

Every Canon Powershot I have ever owned, G6,G6,G9,G12,G15, and SX230 have all had what sounded like a rattle when I shook them.  I thought it was either the IS or the orientation sensor.  I think it is normal.

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
boogisha Contributing Member • Posts: 591

Dewitj wrote:

Just bought the s120 as replacement of my broken s100. I love the responsiveness, the screen, the touchscreen (as a lefty it works great!) and the touch focus.

When I shake it, it makes a sound as if something is lose, is that normal?

There was a similar topic a while ago, here`s my post from there:

boogisha wrote:

Hi fkjensen,

While I can`t really tell you if this is totally normal, I can just confirm that my S120 does the same - though I`ve shot some 1000+ pictures with it so far, and I wouldn`t have noticed it if you didn`t bring it up

That said, I tried my IXUS 220HS, and it behaves the same, just that the shaking rattle noise (when camera is off) is much quieter.

[edit] Ok, I found some more topics about it, and it seems to be perfectly fine and that you have nothing to worry about, check these:
> Rattling sound inside Olympus Pen EP-5
> Does your camera have a small rattling noise when you shake it?
> SX50HS rattle noise when moving camera (only turned off)
> Canon S120 Rattle Noise?
> K5 Camera Rattle

In the end, I may quote one of the posts in there (just for laughs ;)):

Guy Parsons wrote:

Lesson... spend more time with camera on and shooting, less time off and shaking it.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads