E-M1 unraveling. What do I do?

Started Jun 4, 2014 | Discussions
William Porter
William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730
E-M1 unraveling. What do I do?

Noticed last night that the rubber thumb panel (don't know what to call it) on the back right side of my E-M1 has come loose at the lower right corner, to the right of the trash can button and below the play button.

I haven't done anything that could cause that to happen, in fact, my use of the E-M1 for the last couple of months as been kind of light. Never had anything like this happen with the many cameras I've owned.

I suppose it's covered by warranty but I can't afford to be without the camera right now for a couple of weeks. I'm not a super handy do-it-myself fixer and the idea of put a drop of Super Glue in there seems risky to me. I've tried gently but firmly pressing the rubber corner back into place, but it doesn't stay there.

Any suggestions? Anybody else ever had this happen?

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,366
Re: E-M1 unraveling. What do I do?

William Porter wrote:

I haven't done anything that could cause that to happen, in fact, my use of the E-M1 for the last couple of months as been kind of light. Never had anything like this happen with the many cameras I've owned.

Perhaps where you stored it ? Could it have been too dry maybe ?

Or perhaps, simply because the employee that happened to be gluing your copy of the E-M1 made a little mistake !

I suppose it's covered by warranty but I can't afford to be without the camera right now for a couple of weeks. I'm not a super handy do-it-myself fixer and the idea of put a drop of Super Glue in there seems risky to me. I've tried gently but firmly pressing the rubber corner back into place, but it doesn't stay there.

Tape it in place for the time being ? And then send it for repairs ?

Savas Kyprianides Veteran Member • Posts: 3,619

Glue it down or send it in or live with the material separation.

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,299

William Porter wrote:

Will

The original Olympus E-1 DSLR was notoriously bad about this. There used to be complaints about it on the Olympus DSLR forum constantly. The shell starting peeling off mine within 4 months of brand new back in 2006 so I sent it in to Olympus to replace, which they did, but within another several months it started doing so again and today that camera is sitting in a bag with the shell 90% completely off.

With subsequent models they seemed to have the issue solved and I never experienced another such problem, especially with the higher end E30 and E5 models. Hate to see it starting to happen for some with the E-M1. Hopefully it's limited in scope, but there was a time in the past.....

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +31 more
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,306

Don't super glue that is caustic, try a minimal adhesive or double sided tape square.  It's a cosmetic thing so if you can live with it save the warranty efforts.  There is also a miracle product called sugru and a small blob of it would secure that though a more expensive rout it's easy to work with and environmentally stable as to not effect any materials around it on your camera.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
William Porter
OP William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730

Thanks for these tips — just the kind of info I was looking for. Never heard of sugru but I'll look into it. In the meantime I think I'll go with tape as a temp fix.

lambert4 wrote:

Don't super glue that is caustic, try a minimal adhesive or double sided tape square. It's a cosmetic thing so if you can live with it save the warranty efforts. There is also a miracle product called sugru and a small blob of it would secure that though a more expensive rout it's easy to work with and environmentally stable as to not effect any materials around it on your camera.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
William Porter
OP William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730

Gregm61 wrote:

The original Olympus E-1 DSLR was notoriously bad about this. There used to be complaints about it on the Olympus DSLR forum constantly. The shell starting peeling off mine within 4 months of brand new back in 2006 so I sent it in to Olympus to replace, which they did, but within another several months it started doing so again and today that camera is sitting in a bag with the shell 90% completely off.

Thanks for the background, although it's a bit discouraging.

This is a pain because I'm about to go on vacation, and as soon as I get back I have a number of shoots for which I need this camera. Might get a lull after that and if so, I'll send it in to Olympus for repair.

Will

Jim Salvas
Jim Salvas Veteran Member • Posts: 5,389

My E-M1 looks exactly like this right now. Same place, same degree of separation. I haven't had this happen with a camera since the 80s, when there were some notoriously bad camera "leatherette" coverings.

On mine, it looks like this covering has expanded a bit, so it won't just fit back down with just some glue or double-sided tape. It appears to be a poor choice of materials.

Like you, I've been reluctant to part with the camera for warranty service, but it's an annoying thing  I notice every time I pick up the camera.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +11 more
ijm5012 Senior Member • Posts: 1,538

This is an issue with Olympus cameras (there are well document issues with the E-M5, the E-P5, and now this with the E-M1). For a top-tier camera, this is simply inexcusable IMO. Olympus is touting the E-M1 as being "pro-grade" and freeze proof, yet people can't even use the camera in normal conditions without having adhesive failing and buttons/knobs coming loose? It's pretty embarrassing for Olympus when you claim this camera can compete with the likes of Nikon and Canon pro bodies, yet the glue holding the rubber on the back of the camera fails after a few months (not years) of use.

That's the great thing about Canon and Nikon pro-level service, is that if you send your camera in for repair they'll lend you the same body while yours is in for repair so that you can keep on shooting. With Olympus' "Pro" bodies and lenses, maybe they should think about adopting a similar program (or paying for a better adhesive during production).

ijm5012's gear list:ijm5012's gear list
Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +8 more
Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679

My E30 has done this on the thumb rest.  I No real solution but it does happen.  I guess the glue that Olympus used may fail but I would not expect it so soon.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
traveler_101 Senior Member • Posts: 1,981

It is inexcusable, but if it happened to me I wouldn't bother sending it to Olympus. Simply dab a little white glue in there, make sure the panel is held tight against the body and go to sleep. The next morning it will be as good as new and you will soon forget all about it.

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,010

Noticed last night that the rubber thumb panel (don't know what to call it) on the back right side of my E-M1 has come loose at the lower right corner, to the right of the trash can button and below the play button.

Will

If you are worried about glue try using double sided carpet tape.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90891174@N04/

merijnwijnen Regular Member • Posts: 120

For the EM1 Olympus in the Netherlands has something called "service plus". Only for the EM-1, free, you need to register within 4 weeks after you buy the camera. They guarantee repair within 3 working days, pick up service, 6 month extra warrantee and a service hotline to call.

Seems pretty good to me. No idea if this is available overseas as well.

Regards,

Merijn

-- hide signature --

Merijn Wijnen

merijnwijnen's gear list:merijnwijnen's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 10D Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
luisflorit
luisflorit Veteran Member • Posts: 8,166

Jim Salvas wrote:

My E-M1 looks exactly like this right now. Same place, same degree of separation. I haven't had this happen with a camera since the 80s, when there were some notoriously bad camera "leatherette" coverings.

On mine, it looks like this covering has expanded a bit, so it won't just fit back down with just some glue or double-sided tape. It appears to be a poor choice of materials.

This exactly happened to me with my FZ50, but only after several years. The 'leather' had expanded. I had to cut a strip of it before applying glue.

Maybe the place I stored it was too dry?

Like you, I've been reluctant to part with the camera for warranty service, but it's an annoying thing I notice every time I pick up the camera.

It's VERY annoying.

L.

-- hide signature --
 luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT Olympus E-M1 +3 more
daddyo Forum Pro • Posts: 12,670
William...

I would suggest calling Olympus USA service and reporting the problem -- tell them about your issue with needing the camera in the short run, and ask if there is a problem with using a small dab of adhesive as a quick fix until you can send it in.

This will create a record of your problem, prior to doing any self-repair and should avoid any 'voided warranty' issues once you do send it in.

I would ignore those who suggest just simply gluing the grip material down and going on without sending it in for repair. The problem is that if you put a dab of glue on the part that is detached, experience tells me that the rest of the grip will simply start to separate later on.

Best to check with Olympus and make sure whatever you do does not create warranty problems down the road.

-- hide signature --

God Bless,
Greg
www.imagismphotos.com
www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com
www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
drj3 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,663

William Porter wrote:

Will

Mine started this at after about 14,000 shutter activations.  I took a 1.5 inch long piece of good quality electrical tape (slick plastic and waterproof with no glue residue) and taped it across the bottom 1/4 inch of the rubber cover down onto the grip and around the side under the card door.  Now at 27,000 shutter activations and no problem with further cover release.  I did this to my E5 when the same thing happened to the thumb rubber cover.  I will eventually send it in to be repaired if the cover starts to come off in other places or something else breaks.  I have the two year extended warranty, so I will send it in for repair before that expires (on my E5 I had it repaired when the shutter failed under the extended warranty).

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +7 more
Lux Painter Junior Member • Posts: 49
Yikes!

Looks like Olympus is plagued by the Nikon rubber-curse. For more than a decade Nikon hasn't been able to come up with a solution for that problem. Every 1-2 years I need to get the rubber grip parts replaced.

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,150

William Porter wrote:

Will

How about just acquiring some 3M high grade 2 ways tape and applying it under the rubber, assuming there is no dust accumulation in the gap.

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
Macintosh Sauce
Macintosh Sauce Contributing Member • Posts: 706

Is it me, or does Olympus seem to have more quality control problems than Panasonic?

pocoloco Senior Member • Posts: 1,645

ijm5012 wrote:

It's pretty embarrassing for Olympus when you claim this camera can compete with the likes of Nikon and Canon pro bodies, yet the glue holding the rubber on the back of the camera fails after a few months (not years) of use.

I agree it is embarrassing, but my experiences with Nikon are the same. My D200 went back twice to get most of the rubber replaced. Everytime it came loose again, they just can't make it stick... a well known problem with this so called 'pro' camera.

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads