Advice on which Fuji x series to go with

Started Jun 4, 2014 | Discussions
jayboo Senior Member • Posts: 2,149
Advice on which Fuji x series to go with

So torn at the moment, on which Fuji model to go with, had almost decided on XE-2 then looked closer at the XT-1 and thought maybe I would regret not going with this one.

My needs:

Lighter alternative to Canon 5DIII/1DIII for trips and everyday use

Although the 100s looks fantastic - cannot live without interchangeable lens

Good viewfinder - my only problem with Canon EOS M, there being none, otherwise I would stick with what I know and obviously be able to use my lenses.

Good low light performance and AF

My worries:

Will I find the Fuji menu and operation a lot to learn - don't mind investing the time but would like to be able to get going with it fairly fast.

I have been thinking of 35mm 1.4 lens to begin, unsure about either the 16-50 or 18-55 zoom, I am very much a prime user, 56mm 1.2 looks very intriguing for later.

Been watching you tube videos, reading reviews till I'm boggle eyed, decided ones to ask were the forum members for some honest opinions and advice please.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

jayboo's gear list:jayboo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica CL Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chad Hardy
Chad Hardy Senior Member • Posts: 1,192
Re: Advice on which Fuji x series to go with

jayboo wrote:

So torn at the moment, on which Fuji model to go with, had almost decided on XE-2 then looked closer at the XT-1 and thought maybe I would regret not going with this one.

My needs:

Good viewfinder - my only problem with Canon EOS M, there being none, otherwise I would stick with what I know and obviously be able to use my lenses.

My worries:

Will I find the Fuji menu and operation a lot to learn - don't mind investing the time but would like to be able to get going with it fairly fast.

I have been thinking of 35mm 1.4 lens to begin, unsure about either the 16-50 or 18-55 zoom, I am very much a prime user, 56mm 1.2 looks very intriguing for later.

Been watching you tube videos, reading reviews till I'm boggle eyed, decided ones to ask were the forum members for some honest opinions and advice please.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

If you want the best EVFs can offer, get the X-T1.  IQ wise it is the same as the X-E2.  X-T1 is also better at continuous tracking if you like to shoot the occasional action scene.  It has more custom buttons, and an articulating LCD.

To qualify, mirrorless isn't quite up to a pro level DSLR yet for AF speed or low light performance so you need to remember the positives (lightweight, EVF, etc) when you miss those shots with the X-T1 you used to hit with ease on a 5D initially.  I have found as I use the X-T1 more the gap narrows, but let's be honest there is a reason the 5D or 1Ds are thousands of dollars more.

Lens wise, 35 is solid and should offer some lower light flexibility.  The 1855 kit is a great lens, I recommend getting it with the body as a kit to save the few hundred on the combo.  The 56 is a dream lens, so incredibly sharp with beautiful bokeh.  I find it hard to take off my camera!

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 +16 more
leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083

Hi,

i'm a 7D user and keep it for shooting, i just bought an X-E1 for a lightweight alternative. The menu is not as bad as i think it would be after reading the reviews, i hated the menu of my NEX-3 a lot more than the Fuji. I navigated without using the book to guide me.

I have the 27mm and just received the 18-55mm, i like the sharpness of the lenses and IQ of the sensor, i just need more time to practice my PP for this new sensor to me.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
OP jayboo Senior Member • Posts: 2,149

Chad Hardy wrote:

jayboo wrote:

My needs:

My worries:

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

If you want the best EVFs can offer, get the X-T1. IQ wise it is the same as the X-E2. X-T1 is also better at continuous tracking if you like to shoot the occasional action scene. It has more custom buttons, and an articulating LCD.

To qualify, mirrorless isn't quite up to a pro level DSLR yet for AF speed or low light performance so you need to remember the positives (lightweight, EVF, etc) when you miss those shots with the X-T1 you used to hit with ease on a 5D initially. I have found as I use the X-T1 more the gap narrows, but let's be honest there is a reason the 5D or 1Ds are thousands of dollars more.

Lens wise, 35 is solid and should offer some lower light flexibility. The 1855 kit is a great lens, I recommend getting it with the body as a kit to save the few hundred on the combo. The 56 is a dream lens, so incredibly sharp with beautiful bokeh. I find it hard to take off my camera!

Thanks for that.

May have a closer look at the 18-55.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

Leica M Typ 240 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Leica CL Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more

leopold wrote:

Hi,

i'm a 7D user and keep it for shooting, i just bought an X-E1 for a lightweight alternative. The menu is not as bad as i think it would be after reading the reviews, i hated the menu of my NEX-3 a lot more than the Fuji. I navigated without using the book to guide me.

I have the 27mm and just received the 18-55mm, i like the sharpness of the lenses and IQ of the sensor, i just need more time to practice my PP for this new sensor to me.

Thanks for your insight.  I was going to ask about PP and Raw images, seems some difficulty with Adobe.  I mostly use Aperture, anything I should be thinking about here.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Get the Panasonic GX-7, micro four thirds would be better if you were considering the Canon EOS M.

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 10,334
My own experience: DSLR -> Fuji mirrorless

Just made the move from a 7D/17-55, 10-22, 100L Macro to a X-T1 with kit 18-55.  I'm quite new to this so others will be able to give better advice on how to get the best out of the camera, but I can help you a bit with understanding the transition.

The VF of the X-T1 is nothing short of a marvel.  I've used it under a variety of conditions (bright sunlight, dark room) and it performs quite well under all those conditions.  The additional information (realtime histogram, exp sim, etc. is invaluable and I'm finding my keeper rate is running much higher because I can see problems before rather than after hitting the shutter.  The kit lens is fantastic with excellent optics, very little or no distortion at the edges.  It changed my perception of what a kit lens is, mostly from Canon's history of having fairly cheaply built kit lenses with OK optics (most current ones still have only OK build quality but far better optics).  I was originally thinking of starting with the 18-55, then possibly moving to the upcoming f/2.8 version (16-55, I believe), but given the very fast range of the 18-55, I doubt that I'll replace it.  It's a worthy substitute for Canon's 17-55, which is IMHO the best of their EF-S series of lenses.

Handling of the camera is also a joy.  It's very light and once you customize it, it's is extremely easy and fast to use.  IQ (DR, colors, noise) pretty well blows my 7D away, particularly at higher ISOs.  I'm able to use the camera at ISO 3200 and below with zero concerns about noise.  If you're inclined to use Auto ISO, it's more than feasible with this camera -- I never used it on the 7D.

I'm retaining the 7D and 100-400 for situations involving lots of movement (wildlife, birds, etc.).  When Fuji finally announces the long tele, depending on quality/price/performance, I might consider completing the transition and going completely to mirrorless.  I doubt that anyone doing a ton of fast motion photography would find the X-T1 an equivalent substitute for a 7D or other DSLR at this point in time, but for my own uses, it might well make the grade.  Time will tell.

So, coming from a DSLR, particularly if you highly value a VF, then give the X-T1 a hard look.  And, do what I did: rent one for a few days.  It takes some of the risk away and will help you make an informed decision.  Good luck!

jayboo wrote:

My needs:

My worries:

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
Chad Hardy
Chad Hardy Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

jayboo wrote:

leopold wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your insight. I was going to ask about PP and Raw images, seems some difficulty with Adobe. I mostly use Aperture, anything I should be thinking about here.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

Aperture works fine with Fuji RAF files.  The future of Aperture is for another discussion.....

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 +16 more
MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,366

jayboo wrote:

Fuji's menus aren't nearly as bad as Sony NEX's or Olympus'. Part of it is because they aren't full of obfuscatory items such as the idiotic "burst mode + IS OFF" in Olympus menus where you have to turn the option off to actually turn IS on in burst mode, and not too badly organised, part of it is because there aren't that many things to customise anyway. As far as I'm concerned I never had to open the manual.

In the same way marked dials are pretty straightforward, that's after all one of their main advantages.

What will take time is to learn how to circumvent Fuji's exotic quirks. You may be surprised for example, that none of the Fuji cameras, unlike all other cameras on the market today other than compacts, locks focus after taking a shot if you keep your finger half-pressed on the shutter release. This is the kind of thing where you'll go at first "WTF ?", and then loose a bit of time trying to work your way around the quirk.

ryan2007 wrote:

Get the Panasonic GX-7, micro four thirds would be better if you were considering the Canon EOS M.

Oh dear, no think that's just too confusing for me.  I have had a Canon Eos M for some time, no complaints really other than no viewfinder and try as I might, I just can't do without one, holding the camera away from the eye to compose just doesn't cut it for me.

I'll take a look but think I'm going with Fuji x series.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

Re: My own experience: DSLR -> Fuji mirrorless

Jerry-astro wrote:

Just made the move from a 7D/17-55, 10-22, 100L Macro to a X-T1 with kit 18-55. I'm quite new to this so others will be able to give better advice on how to get the best out of the camera, but I can help you a bit with understanding the transition.

The VF of the X-T1 is nothing short of a marvel. I've used it under a variety of conditions (bright sunlight, dark room) and it performs quite well under all those conditions. The additional information (realtime histogram, exp sim, etc. is invaluable and I'm finding my keeper rate is running much higher because I can see problems before rather than after hitting the shutter. The kit lens is fantastic with excellent optics, very little or no distortion at the edges. It changed my perception of what a kit lens is, mostly from Canon's history of having fairly cheaply built kit lenses with OK optics (most current ones still have only OK build quality but far better optics). I was originally thinking of starting with the 18-55, then possibly moving to the upcoming f/2.8 version (16-55, I believe), but given the very fast range of the 18-55, I doubt that I'll replace it. It's a worthy substitute for Canon's 17-55, which is IMHO the best of their EF-S series of lenses.

Handling of the camera is also a joy. It's very light and once you customize it, it's is extremely easy and fast to use. IQ (DR, colors, noise) pretty well blows my 7D away, particularly at higher ISOs. I'm able to use the camera at ISO 3200 and below with zero concerns about noise. If you're inclined to use Auto ISO, it's more than feasible with this camera -- I never used it on the 7D.

I'm retaining the 7D and 100-400 for situations involving lots of movement (wildlife, birds, etc.). When Fuji finally announces the long tele, depending on quality/price/performance, I might consider completing the transition and going completely to mirrorless. I doubt that anyone doing a ton of fast motion photography would find the X-T1 an equivalent substitute for a 7D or other DSLR at this point in time, but for my own uses, it might well make the grade. Time will tell.

So, coming from a DSLR, particularly if you highly value a VF, then give the X-T1 a hard look. And, do what I did: rent one for a few days. It takes some of the risk away and will help you make an informed decision. Good luck!

Interesting to hear your experience. I have had 7D in the past and also the 17-55 2.8, if you find yourself happy with the fuji 18.55 after that, definitely one for me to consider.  I was really disappointed with 7D iso performance, and would like to think the Fuji I end up with does better in that respect.

I will look into possibility of renting one, thank you.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

MayaTlab0 wrote:

jayboo wrote:

Fuji's menus aren't nearly as bad as Sony NEX's or Olympus'. Part of it is because they aren't full of obfuscatory items such as the idiotic "burst mode + IS OFF" in Olympus menus where you have to turn the option off to actually turn IS on in burst mode, and not too badly organised, part of it is because there aren't that many things to customise anyway. As far as I'm concerned I never had to open the manual.

In the same way marked dials are pretty straightforward, that's after all one of their main advantages.

What will take time is to learn how to circumvent Fuji's exotic quirks. You may be surprised for example, that none of the Fuji cameras, unlike all other cameras on the market today other than compacts, locks focus after taking a shot if you keep your finger half-pressed on the shutter release. This is the kind of thing where you'll go at first "WTF ?", and then loose a bit of time trying to work your way around the quirk.

So do you mean they don't "hold" focus?  Not sure I understand!

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,366

jayboo wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

So do you mean they don't "hold" focus? Not sure I understand!

On all the cameras I've used except compact cameras and Fuji X cameras, if you keep your finger half-way on the shutter release, the focus will be held, as you put it more eloquently than me :D.

MayaTlab0 wrote:

jayboo wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

So do you mean they don't "hold" focus? Not sure I understand!

On all the cameras I've used except compact cameras and Fuji X cameras, if you keep your finger half-way on the shutter release, the focus will be held, as you put it more eloquently than me :D.

Oh, ok, I see, may be interesting to start with - thanks.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,462

MayaTlab0 wrote:

You must have your Fujis set up in an interesting way.

My X-E2 and x100s both lock focus with a half press on the shutter release button, just like all the previous cameras I've owned. I've just checked ....  No quirk, and no workarounds needed.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

jayboo wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Oh dear, no think that's just too confusing for me. I have had a Canon Eos M for some time, no complaints really other than no viewfinder and try as I might, I just can't do without one, holding the camera away from the eye to compose just doesn't cut it for me.

I'll take a look but think I'm going with Fuji x series.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

Sticking with micro four thirds the Panasonic GH-3, For a smaller mirrorless camera then the Fuji XE, For a Optical Viewfinder the Fuji Xpro which is like the X100s that has switchable viewfinders.

I have shot Panasonic GH-3 and their older rangefinders GF-1 and GX-1 and you can buy an accessory viewfinder. Past that Fuji is a option.

I have not researched The Nikon V whatever its called mirrorless they have.

RhysM Senior Member • Posts: 2,212

jayboo wrote:

My needs:

My worries:

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

I'd go with the XT-1 so far as I can see it has no disadvantages over the X-E2 unless the pop up flash is a deal breaker.

The menu is pretty intuitive after a few hours of playing about with the camera.

I suspect you're like me and spend ridiculous amounts of time researching then focussing on minor negative details in reviews, then talking yourself out of making the purchase then repeating the whole process until your head aches.

My advise would be to get the XT-1, you'll love it.

WT Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,495

Another one of our old friends from the Canon forums, Hello jayboo. I have been shooting the Fuji X-series for nearly two years now. I sold off all my canon gear about a year ago. My favorite is the X100s because it is a cool camera. I have the XT-1 now and I must say it is the best of the Fuji's yet. The EFV is pretty good. Like you I seem to be a slave to the viewfinder, but do use the screen for tripod mounted work a lot.

While the 35mm 1.4 and the rest of the fuji primes are really really good, you might look at the 18-55 to start with, it is a very good lens. I get great results and fairly clean files up to ISO 3200 with a well exposed shot & proper RAW processing most of the time. I have been pretty impressed with the prints I have been making.

I use Adobe for nearly all my processing with little trouble. Apparently Aperture does a credible job, but I have not used it. Fuji's Jpegs are real good, but I seldom use them.

The system as a whole behaves differently than the Canon, you will have to get used to how the auto focus works, it is not as fast. But it is accurate & performs well once you learn it's ways.

You might try to rent or borrow a camera & see if it suits you before you buy one.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Yep, I do all the review stuff - get excited one minute and worried the next.  Finger on button to order ridiculously good deal on xe-1 plus 18-55 lens, thinking cheapest way of getting the lens, body would be left owing me around £150 ish, maybe see how I get on with that before ordering the XT-1, BUT, I know me, minute I get it I will be thinking, oh, should have gone with the XT-1 anyway.

Decisions, decisions ....

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

WT Jones wrote:

Another one of our old friends from the Canon forums, Hello jayboo. I have been shooting the Fuji X-series for nearly two years now. I sold off all my canon gear about a year ago. My favorite is the X100s because it is a cool camera. I have the XT-1 now and I must say it is the best of the Fuji's yet. The EFV is pretty good. Like you I seem to be a slave to the viewfinder, but do use the screen for tripod mounted work a lot.

Hi Warren,

Good to hear you are enjoying your time with Fuji X series, not looking to end my relationship with my DSLR's just yet, but a smaller package with great IQ is what I am looking for, hopefully I am now on the right track.

While the 35mm 1.4 and the rest of the fuji primes are really really good, you might look at the 18-55 to start with, it is a very good lens. I get great results and fairly clean files up to ISO 3200 with a well exposed shot & proper RAW processing most of the time. I have been pretty impressed with the prints I have been making.

Yes, I am now convinced to go for the 18-55 zoom as a start.

I use Adobe for nearly all my processing with little trouble. Apparently Aperture does a credible job, but I have not used it. Fuji's Jpegs are real good, but I seldom use them.

I don't use jpegs at present, but from what I hear Fuji jpegs are very very good.

The system as a whole behaves differently than the Canon, you will have to get used to how the auto focus works, it is not as fast. But it is accurate & performs well once you learn it's ways.

Having used Canon Eos M for some time, not known for its autofocus speed, don't think that will bother me.

You might try to rent or borrow a camera & see if it suits you before you buy one.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Had a look at rental costs here in the UK and to get my hands on one for 3/4 days which I feel I would need looks fairly pricey, as usual I think looking for a good deal at purchase is probably my best option.  Haven't even managed to find a XT-1 in any local camera store which is pretty annoying, as I would have liked to handle one.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

-- hide signature --

Jayboo

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads