Bye Pentax K-5 -> Hello Sony A6000

Started Jun 3, 2014 | Discussions
audiobomber
audiobomber Veteran Member • Posts: 5,578
Re: Bye Pentax K-5 -> Hello Sony A6000

I own a K-3 and K20D. I just added an a6000 with the little 16-50 power zoom. I ordered the 12mm and 32mm Zeiss Touits. The K-3 is a far more serious camera, but who wants to be serious all the time? The a6000 will give me equal IQ in a small package, which is amazing, but it cannot do everything the K-3 does. For me a MILC can only be ancillary to my DSLR. If you don't shoot a lot of sports or BIF, or need long tele, then an a6000 may do all you need.

I've been struggling for days to set up the camera. Once I get the buttons configured properly, it should handle pretty well, but nowhere near as well as a K-3, and sometimes that matters.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +18 more
glehelle Junior Member • Posts: 45

The OP's post is like a Pentax fan boy bat signal.

Defend the brand like your mother and country!

Well, wasn't that the point?

Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 5,429

Hi Dan,

You've pretty much mirrored my thoughts.  I bought an XT1 as a light kit / second system for travel and hiking.  I bought the 18-55 kit zoom and their 14mm and I'm using legacy lenses for any other FLs.  That keeps it small and less expensive than duplicating or replacing my whole system.  I'm particularly still using my K5 for anything that requires telephoto lenses.

I don't now if it interests you or not but I've found the Kipon TS adapter fantastic for landscape and to offer moderate corrections for architecture.  They do one for Sony too (though not with Pentax lenses).  I bought old AIS Nikon 20, 24, 28, 50 and 85mm lenses and they can all become TS lenses.  Brilliant.   I simply can't get movements with my K5 at all and the DSLR alternative would have meant a huge outlay into Canon that I couldn't afford or justify.

Enjoy both.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +10 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 5,819

gustoy wrote:

I enjoyed many years with my Pentax equippment including some limited lenses, but finally decided to sell off all equippment on eBay and start new with the Sony A6000.

The main reason is, that I was been waiting for a long time for smaller and lighter system cameras from Pentax, but it seems not very likely to happen, and the Sony gives me in some areas better, in other aereas almost as good results as my Pentax K-5, but in a smaller and much ligher package.

Enjoy your Pentax gear!

Guido

I'm going from using a fairly complete Nikon system (in the last ten years) to 2 or three cameras each with 1 or 2 lenses in the area I think the camera excels.  So I've nearly sold off all my Nikon stuff and will have the K3 for aps/c dslr long lens type shooting, a mirrorless camera - Sony or Fuji - for a walk around cam (quiet counts and that RX100 III is very quiet) and a FF camera for wide work - both Canon and Sony (E-mount) are coming out with a 16-35 f/4 stabilized lens so it will be interesting which one wins that battle.  I think I have a flexibility & cost advantage with this approach compared to when I owned a megalithic system.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +5 more
Gazeomon
Gazeomon Contributing Member • Posts: 543

flektogon wrote:

Yes, the days of DSLRs are numbered. Of course, this doesn't apply to the professional DSLRs. I selected the A6000 image comparison with the K-3, and guess what? A6000 easily beats K-3. And for a fraction of size and price.

It's time for prescription glasses.

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Samsung NX500 HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +8 more
Model Mike Veteran Member • Posts: 3,500

audiobomber wrote:

For me a MILC can only be ancillary to my DSLR. If you don't shoot a lot of sports or BIF, or need long tele, then an a6000 may do all you need.

Agree.

Until an MILC comes along which can completely replace the K-5II I don't see the point of keeping two parallel systems. Maybe in the next couple of iterations but not yet.

-- hide signature --
Zvonimir Tosic
Zvonimir Tosic Senior Member • Posts: 2,563
No, thank you. Some like to remain in heaven

The vision in Hell is entirely EVF digital.

As every audiophile will testify you, and what was discovered in the painting of Hieronymus Bosch, the sound in hell is entirely digital. Likevise, the vision in hell is entirely digital too, and the EVF to replace your eyes is mandatory.

All poor souls venturing into hell are thus summoned by Sony who removes their own nature-created analogue eyes and gives them fake EVF eyes, so the mind and soul can be manipulated to one’s scream and anguish, random dilation of pupils incited, then distorted and amplified visions of reality cast directly into retinas.

In the land of heaven, on the other hand, vision is remained intact, and thanks to our good guardian Pentax, we are safe.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

BobORama
BobORama Senior Member • Posts: 2,341
Re: No, thank you. Some like to remain in heaven

Love that!

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

The vision in Hell is entirely EVF digital.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
audiobomber

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Dan,

You've pretty much mirrored my thoughts. I bought an XT1 as a light kit / second system for travel and hiking. I bought the 18-55 kit zoom and their 14mm and I'm using legacy lenses for any other FLs. That keeps it small and less expensive than duplicating or replacing my whole system. I'm particularly still using my K5 for anything that requires telephoto lenses.

You need a K-3.

I don't now if it interests you or not but I've found the Kipon TS adapter fantastic for landscape and to offer moderate corrections for architecture. They do one for Sony too (though not with Pentax lenses). I bought old AIS Nikon 20, 24, 28, 50 and 85mm lenses and they can all become TS lenses. Brilliant. I simply can't get movements with my K5 at all and the DSLR alternative would have meant a huge outlay into Canon that I couldn't afford or justify.

A TS adapter does sound interesting, but unless it can adapt K-mounts, I'm not likely to move on it. I have enough lens systems already.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +18 more
BobORama
BobORama Senior Member • Posts: 2,341

chiane wrote:

Ok, we'll alert the media!

I also have an amazing sampling of cat photos...

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +9 more
ET2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,099

Philnw2 wrote:

There are pros and cons to both types of cameras.

The K3/K5 have 14bit files while the Sony nex 6 and A6000 have only 12bit files. If you like to process files like i do, it makes a difference

This isn't a valid argument. and has been proven (scientifically) over and over again

http://theory.uchicago.edu/~ejm/pix/20d/tests/noise/noise-p3.html

Besides, if you are going stick to numbers then A6000 scores higher (negligibly) on dxomark

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A6000-versus-Pentax-K-3___942_914

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,719
Front Page News! (n/t)
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
fakuryu
fakuryu Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Goodluck with the switch!

gustoy wrote:

I enjoyed many years with my Pentax equippment including some limited lenses, but finally decided to sell off all equippment on eBay and start new with the Sony A6000.

The main reason is, that I was been waiting for a long time for smaller and lighter system cameras from Pentax, but it seems not very likely to happen, and the Sony gives me in some areas better, in other aereas almost as good results as my Pentax K-5, but in a smaller and much ligher package.

Enjoy your Pentax gear!

Guido

The A6000 is indeed a lovely camera with a fast AF system. For me, I just can't handle the EVF too well, very nice in good light but what really irks me is that I can see the moire (using an A6000) on patterns with the EVF.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-r Pentax K-5 II Pentax Q Olympus PEN E-PL1
debo Senior Member • Posts: 1,981
My story - Keep K-5ii for Speed, Fuji body + Pentax primes for regular use

Same needs as the OP: good image quality in a light package especially for casual pics

My solution: Fuji X-E1 kit + 27/2,8 pancake + Pentax primes w. adapter. Also picked a used X100 for my point and shoot replacement. As of now I have best of both worlds. Eventually I will let go of the Pentax lenses except for my FA limiteds (in the hope of a FF from Pentax) since they work well on Fuji

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
maxola67
maxola67 Regular Member • Posts: 123

People are getting older.

Evolution path is FF DSLR->APS-C->MILC-advanced compact-smart-death!

maxola67's gear list:maxola67's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
OP gustoy Junior Member • Posts: 31

chiane wrote:

BobORama wrote:

flektogon wrote:

Yes, the days of DSLRs are numbered. Of course, this doesn't apply to the professional DSLRs. I selected the A6000 image comparison with the K-3, and guess what? A6000 easily beats K-3. And for a fraction of size and price.

Yes, the A6000 solidly beats the K-3 if you:

• love chroma noise and color blotches
  • want a shutter that sounds like someone cutting off fish heads with a hatchet
  • if you are the wicked witch or live in a desert and never get it wet
  • don't need an extra 2-3 stop advantage for image stabilization with any lens
  • don't mind having big glass look like a great dane mounting a chihuahua

Even if the A6000 had better IQ, it would only be when mounted on a tripod.

Where the A6000 does win is in terms of size and video. If those things are important to you, then the Sony offerings would be worth considering. But in every other respect, not so much.

Its funny, I just used my K-5 with a ( completely free to me ) takumar 135 / 2.8 at my daughters dance recital, with the atrocious lighting so typical of these events. I got a lot of fairly decent handheld shots @ f/2.8. Looking at the Sony lens options, I'm not sure that would have been impossible with any of the "less expensive" lenses that Sony offers for the A6000, except for their $1500 cine primes.

Ok, we'll alert the media!

Just relax. My needs toward a camera changed. I now need a small light camera, that also can do video and offers a reasonable image quality. So for me the A6000 seems to be the best choice. For other requirements the Pentax K-5/K-3 might be the better choice. I am not doing any Pentax bashing.

By the way: PENTAX IS DOOOOOMED

Mac McCreery
Mac McCreery Regular Member • Posts: 134

gustoy wrote:

Enjoy your Pentax gear!

Guido

Hi Guido

It comes down to handling for me.......  I honestly hate the handling of this Sony series... I was nearly tempted some time ago- but when I picked one up 'yuk'.

But enjoy- we are all individual!

Mac

Mac McCreery's gear list:Mac McCreery's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
tom1234567
tom1234567 Senior Member • Posts: 1,431

flektogon wrote:

( A6000 easily beats K-3. And for a fraction of size and price. BUT NOT ON 1Q

Tom G

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2
audiobomber

Mac McCreery wrote:

It comes down to handling for me....... I honestly hate the handling of this Sony series... I was nearly tempted some time ago- but when I picked one up 'yuk'.

What series do you mean? NEX controls were an odd mess, but the Alpha a6000 seems pretty comparable to a mid-level Canon or Nikon DSLR. None of these compares to K-50 with dual wheels, but they are serviceable.

"But the nicest discovery was that, with a bit of playing around with the settings, the a6000 is more than just a refreshed and rebranded NEX: it's also camera I found rather pleasant to use."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-a6000/6

I'm obviously not as menu-savvy as Richard Butler, because I'm having a major battle configuring the a6000, but I can see that it will be reasonably responsive when I'm done, with most functions readily accessible.

Or do you mean how the camera felt in your hand? I find it quite comfortable to hold, far nicer than the EM10 or RX100, neither of which had sufficient grip area. Also the Oly controls are so crowded there was nowhere to hold that they weren't in the way.

-- hide signature --

Dan

flektogon
flektogon Senior Member • Posts: 2,237

tom1234567 wrote:

flektogon wrote:

( A6000 easily beats K-3. And for a fraction of size and price. BUT NOT ON 1Q

Tom G

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

Please, check this:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Sony-A6000-versus-Pentax-K-3___942_91

So, you need more proofs?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads