Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

Started Jun 2, 2014 | User reviews
Jamesbond6668
Jamesbond6668 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera
7

I used this camera for 2 years straight shooting about 3 photo shoots a week, taking about 1000 shots each shoot. This camera never let me down. Well, only once and it was because I added an off brand battery grip and when the cameras' internal battery was out and it went to the one in the grip, the LCD went white and wouldn't come back. The camera was still barely under warranty from Nikon and they repaired it and cleaned the sensor, etc....and I was back in action. Needless to say I bought the Nikon brand battery grip and everything was fine.

This camera was a true workhorse going everywhere in some dusty, dirty, wet conditions and kept on working. All the shots I took with it still hold up with the camera's I'm currently using (D4, Df). The only reason I upgraded to the D4 was the better low light qualities of the D4 and Df. I could have easily just stayed

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Topaz Labs: Adjust filter, Photoshop. Model: Jessie Cook. May 18th, 2012.

with this camera for a few more years with no problem. I'm addicted to cameras and always want the latest thing, but in this case I should of held on a few more years. This camera doesn't have video mode but then I had a dedicated digital HD camcorder for that when needed. I always carry a good pocket camera that shoots HD video just in case I want that feature.

I highly recommend this camera to professionals or anyone that wants to step up to full frame that want to get excellent results. It was perfectly suited (as is the D4 and Df) to the Nikkor 24-70 2.8, and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR lenses......you can't go wrong!

-- hide signature --

www.afreemanphotography
www.slambangmedia.com
find me on FB: afreemanphotography

 Jamesbond6668's gear list:Jamesbond6668's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 IV Nikon D4 +8 more
Nikon D700
12 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jul 1, 2008
Jamesbond6668's score
5.0
Average community score
4.6
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,733
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera
2

+1

overniteman
overniteman Senior Member • Posts: 1,119
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

I agree.

ranalli Senior Member • Posts: 1,016
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

Jamesbond6668 wrote:

I used this camera for 2 years straight shooting about 3 photo shoots a week, taking about 1000 shots each shoot. This camera never let me down. Well, only once and it was because I added an off brand battery grip and when the cameras' internal battery was out and it went to the one in the grip, the LCD went white and wouldn't come back. The camera was still barely under warranty from Nikon and they repaired it and cleaned the sensor, etc....and I was back in action. Needless to say I bought the Nikon brand battery grip and everything was fine.

This camera was a true workhorse going everywhere in some dusty, dirty, wet conditions and kept on working. All the shots I took with it still hold up with the camera's I'm currently using (D4, Df). The only reason I upgraded to the D4 was the better low light qualities of the D4 and Df. I could have easily just stayed

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Topaz Labs: Adjust filter, Photoshop. Model: Jessie Cook. May 18th, 2012.

with this camera for a few more years with no problem. I'm addicted to cameras and always want the latest thing, but in this case I should of held on a few more years. This camera doesn't have video mode but then I had a dedicated digital HD camcorder for that when needed. I always carry a good pocket camera that shoots HD video just in case I want that feature.

I highly recommend this camera to professionals or anyone that wants to step up to full frame that want to get excellent results. It was perfectly suited (as is the D4 and Df) to the Nikkor 24-70 2.8, and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR lenses......you can't go wrong!

-- hide signature --

www.afreemanphotography
www.slambangmedia.com
find me on FB: afreemanphotography

Pretty much my experience as well...workhorse camera.  Still completely relevant considering the current Nikon lineup.

odells New Member • Posts: 14
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

I'm confused: are you talking about the D300 or D700 (EXIF indicates the photo was taken with the former).

David

ScottRH
ScottRH Senior Member • Posts: 1,733
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

ranalli wrote:

Jamesbond6668 wrote:

I used this camera for 2 years straight shooting about 3 photo shoots a week, taking about 1000 shots each shoot. This camera never let me down. Well, only once and it was because I added an off brand battery grip and when the cameras' internal battery was out and it went to the one in the grip, the LCD went white and wouldn't come back. The camera was still barely under warranty from Nikon and they repaired it and cleaned the sensor, etc....and I was back in action. Needless to say I bought the Nikon brand battery grip and everything was fine.

This camera was a true workhorse going everywhere in some dusty, dirty, wet conditions and kept on working. All the shots I took with it still hold up with the camera's I'm currently using (D4, Df). The only reason I upgraded to the D4 was the better low light qualities of the D4 and Df. I could have easily just stayed

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Topaz Labs: Adjust filter, Photoshop. Model: Jessie Cook. May 18th, 2012.

with this camera for a few more years with no problem. I'm addicted to cameras and always want the latest thing, but in this case I should of held on a few more years. This camera doesn't have video mode but then I had a dedicated digital HD camcorder for that when needed. I always carry a good pocket camera that shoots HD video just in case I want that feature.

I highly recommend this camera to professionals or anyone that wants to step up to full frame that want to get excellent results. It was perfectly suited (as is the D4 and Df) to the Nikkor 24-70 2.8, and the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR lenses......you can't go wrong!

-- hide signature --

www.afreemanphotography
www.slambangmedia.com
find me on FB: afreemanphotography

Pretty much my experience as well...workhorse camera. Still completely relevant considering the current Nikon lineup.

>Still completely relevant considering the current Nikon lineup.

Yep.

Liviu Namolovan Contributing Member • Posts: 573
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

Workhorse?! Nah...A classic camera. A legendary one, I would say.

Peter Damroth Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

odells wrote:

I'm confused: are you talking about the D300 or D700 (EXIF indicates the photo was taken with the former).

David

Your sample is from a D-300....?

-- hide signature --

Peter Damroth Photography

 Peter Damroth's gear list:Peter Damroth's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Nikon D300 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Kameraphil Regular Member • Posts: 445
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera
1

Peter Damroth wrote:

odells wrote:

I'm confused: are you talking about the D300 or D700 (EXIF indicates the photo was taken with the former).

David

Your sample is from a D-300...

Had to borrow from a D300 because samples from the D700 are not good enough for display

TITCHY Senior Member • Posts: 1,115
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

also the OP claims, the photo taken as follows.

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Topaz Labs: Adjust filter, Photoshop. Model: Jessie Cook. May 18th, 2012.

exif clearly shows D300 and taken in Dec, 2010, some three and a half years ago .

but still relevent, as the D300 was a true classic Too !!!

fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,926
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera
1

The D700 has better color quality and AF precision than the D800.  If you don't need 36MP of resolution (very few people actually do) it is frankly the better choice from both camera performance and value standpoint.  I'm not expecting the midlife update of the D800 to change that.

fPrime

 fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Jamesbond6668
OP Jamesbond6668 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

My Photoshop CS6, changes my EXIF readout to Dec 18th, 2010, D300, etc...and I can't get it to stop doing that and don't have the time to get software and fix this every time I work on a photo.

When i bring in the images to my iMAC they have the correct EXIF...it's after I work on a photo and save it that Photoshop does this.

-- hide signature --

Allen

--
www.afreemanphotography
www.slambangmedia.com
find me on FB: afreemanphotography

 Jamesbond6668's gear list:Jamesbond6668's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 IV Nikon D4 +8 more
Jamesbond6668
OP Jamesbond6668 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: Super Quality-- Excellent Workhorse Camera

TITCHY wrote:

also the OP claims, the photo taken as follows.

Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Topaz Labs: Adjust filter, Photoshop. Model: Jessie Cook. May 18th, 2012.

exif clearly shows D300 and taken in Dec, 2010, some three and a half years ago .

but still relevent, as the D300 was a true classic Too !!!

I went back and opened the RAW file and this is the correct info:

D700 F/5, 1/100 s, ISO 200, 28-300@32mm, 5-15-2012, Matrix Metering, 2832x4256, 300 Pixels per inch....I used off camera flash.

-- hide signature --

www.afreemanphotography
www.slambangmedia.com
find me on FB: afreemanphotography

 Jamesbond6668's gear list:Jamesbond6668's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Sony RX100 IV Nikon D4 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads