Great Little Camera but...

Started Jun 2, 2014 | User reviews
barjohn
barjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
Great Little Camera but...

The camera is quick and has an excellent sensor and a great value for the money; however three things go against it for me.

1. The lenses are just too huge except for the kit lens which I found to be mediocre

2. I don't like the complexity of the menu system

3. I don't like the way Sony is so heavy handed on NR, even some is apparent in raw files

-- hide signature --

John
Honest criticism and feedback should be welcomed. It helps the buyer and it helps the manufacturer improve.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20
Sony a6000
24 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 12, 2014
barjohn's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
okay
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
mediocre
Studio / still life
acceptable
= community average
Tom2572
Tom2572 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
Re: Great Little Camera but...

barjohn wrote:

The camera is quick and has an excellent sensor and a great value for the money; however three things go against it for me.

1. The lenses are just too huge except for the kit lens which I found to be mediocre

3. I don't like the way Sony is so heavy handed on NR, even some is apparent in raw files

thanks John. On #2, most reviews point out that the menu system is much better than previous NEX cameras since it's based on the Alpha menu. Are you commenting on the complexity compared to other systems, and if so, which systems? I ask because the menu on my NEX-5R is the one thing I don't like about it and am hoping for a better experience if/when I ever get around to upgrading it.

Dabbler
Dabbler Senior Member • Posts: 2,038

Are the lenses bigger than any other APS-C system? Yes, the kit lens is mediocre. The autofocusing is very fast! I have a Fuji XT1 with superb kit lens. It is heavier than my NEX7 but lens is about the same size.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D800 Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony a7S +16 more
kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

Dabbler wrote:

Are the lenses bigger than any other APS-C system? Yes, the kit lens is mediocre. The autofocusing is very fast! I have a Fuji XT1 with superb kit lens. It is heavier than my NEX7 but lens is about the same size.

The Fuji kit 18-55 is absolutely bigger than the 16-50pz and even the Sony 18-55.

Although it is supposed to be larger, since it is an F2.8-F4.

ijustloveshooting
ijustloveshooting Veteran Member • Posts: 3,001
completely disagree with you...

1.) menu is much better than previous nex menus.although i've used 5n for two years i was still having difficulties to dig in menus to find what i need...now everything is in under logical branch and you dont need scroll down to see what else are there...all items are visible on the visible page and.you just.need.to go left or right to see other things...for me it s much more manageable..

2.) huge lenses?? sel35 is damn good lens in a very small package...sel 1018, again terrific sharp lens in a really small package...only one i find big is sel50f1.8
3.) for Nr in raw, i need evidences...

thanks.

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1 Sony a7 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 5,044

barjohn wrote:

Huge? Compared to what? Actually Sony lenses, though not the best optically, are smallest and lightest. Compare them to Fuji, for example. Sony's both kit lenses are not any worse than most other kit lenses, and they are cheap and small. They actually excellent in the center, they are weak at the edges.

What complexity? The new menu is the simplest you can find. You want to see convoluted menu, check the NEX cameras.

Yes, jpegs show aggressive noise reduction. You can set it to "off", the noise will be higher but the details will be preserved so you can do noise reduction in PP. Sony isn't doing the noise reduction in raw, you're confusing it with Fuji. But Sony raw files do have lossy compression, though it's rarely affecting the images.

Sorry to say, but your review didn't even scratch the surface. The complaints are mostly wrong and superficial.

Sylvain C.
Sylvain C. Contributing Member • Posts: 772
Heavy NR ?

barjohn wrote:

I am curious about your comment on noise.  I  moved up from the NEX 5R and have used 5R RAW files without issues.  However, I find that the a6000 RAW files are very noisy at any ISO setting as compared to the 5R.  Could I be doing something wrong?

Sylvain C.'s gear list:Sylvain C.'s gear list
Sony a7R II Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads