Which lens (and other equipment) is missing from this group?

Started Jun 2, 2014 | Questions
giorgipo New Member • Posts: 4
Which lens (and other equipment) is missing from this group?

Hello, recently bought a Olympus OD-M10 with M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ. In the few days I fould this zoom too short and not good at night.

Am going to a once-in-a-lifetime Africa trip with wildlife, landscapes, people. Also, other favourite subjects are my children (portraits, football games, concerts) as well as mountains, cities.

These are the (all Olympus m43) lenses I am getting:

- The 14-150 to be "always" ready without having to change lenses in the dusty Namibian desert.

- The 75-300 for the animals.

- The 9-18 for the landscapes.

- The 45 for portraits.

Now I am wondering which lens I am missing for a "perfect" group of all-situations-covered lenses: the Oly 17(1.8), Panny 20 or Leica 25?? (for low light) (I think I should get the Panny 20... What do you think considering the other lenses in the group??)

Also, I think I need a couple of extra batteries and a couple of 32G Sandisk Extreme Plus SD cards. A home-made bean-bag. A camera case or carry-it-all bag... A tripod (which) or a gorillapod? Anything else? e.g. A polarizing filter, but on which of the lenses might I use it most?

Thanks!!!!

gorred
gorred Senior Member • Posts: 1,205
Re: Which lens (and other equipment) is missing from this group?

I think that you are very well equipped with lenses. That would pretty much cover the situations that you meet.

Just examples of what you might meet in Namibia. You see the need of different lenses, of which you possess.

Best, and have a nice trip.//GöranR

gorred's gear list:gorred's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +9 more
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,249
A 2nd body.

giorgipo wrote:

Hello, recently bought a Olympus OD-M10 with M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 EZ. In the few days I fould this zoom too short and not good at night.

Am going to a once-in-a-lifetime Africa trip with wildlife, landscapes, people. Also, other favourite subjects are my children (portraits, football games, concerts) as well as mountains, cities.

- The 14-150 to be "always" ready without having to change lenses in the dusty Namibian

desert.

Leave this at home and get a 2nd body. This also helps to minimize lens changes. And if dust or a thief takes one, you have a back up... (I have to admit, I am biased against super zooms, but still think, my arguments for a 2nd body hold.)

This could be on the 2nd body during day time, the 17/20/25mm at night

- The 45 for portraits.

Now I am wondering which lens I am missing for a "perfect" group of all-situations-covered lenses: the Oly 17(1.8), Panny 20 or Leica 25?? (for low light) (I think I should get the Panny 20... What do you think considering the other lenses in the group??)

Also, I think I need a couple of extra batteries

Make it 3 per camera body at least

and a couple of 32G Sandisk Extreme Plus SD cards. A home-made bean-bag. A camera case or carry-it-all bag...

Whatever you choose, carry the 2 bodies in different bags or leave one body in the hotel, if you walk around in a town.

A tripod (which) or a gorillapod? Anything else? e.g. A polarizing filter, but on which of the lenses might I use it most?

Thanks!!!!

A great time in Africa!

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,894

giorgipo wrote:

- The 14-150 to be "always" ready without having to change lenses in the dusty Namibian desert.

Take look at the Panasonic 14-140mm f3.5-5.6. I'm not a zoom, or superzoom fan, but having used a 14-140mm, they're very convenient!

Check out the 7-14mm, too. Yes, it's a bit more expensive and slightly bigger than the 9-18mm, but the 7mm end gives you a pretty unique perspective on things. The constant f4 aperture is very nice to have, too! It's one of my favorite walkabout travel lenses. It's a good companion for a 17mm, too.

- The 45 for portraits.

I'd say the 17mm f1.8. It's a very flexible length and it's nice to have a wider angle, fast lens for indoor shooting. From what I've read, the 20mm focuses slowly on Olympus bodies. The 25mm f1.4 is a great lens, certainly better than the 17mm. You can't really go wrong with a standard 50mm lens.

Also, I think I need a couple of extra batteries and a couple of 32G Sandisk Extreme Plus SD cards. A home-made bean-bag. A camera case or carry-it-all bag... A tripod (which) or a gorillapod?

I prefer the UltraPod II to a GorillaPod. I have both and the G-Pod is much heavier and it's bulk, and all those knuckles, make it much trickier to work with. The knuckles have grippy rubber on them and snag on things, so it's annoying getting it in and out of a small bag. The UltraPod II is small, super light and cheap (under $20!). I often forget that I'm carrying it!

A polarizing filter, but on which of the lenses might I use it most?

If you're carrying a lot of batteries, getting a second charger helps speed recharging. When traveling, I'm usually out until after midnight and the time available to recharge several batteries is limited, especially with 2-3 hour recharge times. An extra charger helps.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +28 more
Le Frog Regular Member • Posts: 489

giorgipo wrote:

I would second the proposition of getting a second body instead; you might still be able to get a discounted PM2 or a PL5. This, combined with the 14-42EZ, or a pancake prime will also give you a pocketable carry everywhere solution.

Given that, when on travel, it is essential to keep size and weight to a minimum I agree that it is a more sensible choice than the Panasonic 7-14 (which, by the way, does not take filters).

- The 45 for portraits.

Not really a fan of "nifty fifty". Between the 17/1.8 and the 20/1.7 I would recommend the latter, because it is more compact (and cheaper! currently on special offer at Adorama and BHFoto)

Also, I think I need a couple of extra batteries and a couple of 32G Sandisk Extreme Plus SD cards. A home-made bean-bag. A camera case or carry-it-all bag... A tripod (which) or a gorillapod?

Personally, I would not trust the gorillapod with an EM10/75-300.

Anything else? e.g. A polarizing filter, but on which of the lenses might I use it most?

Definitely! I think it would be essential for landscape photos, particularly in Africa. A 46mm filter + 37-46 step-up ring (for the 14-42 and the 45) will cover all lenses except the 75-300. I would suggest the Marumi DHG super circular , which came top in a Lenstip group test and is relatively reasonably priced.

I would also second the idea of getting an extra charger .

Thanks!!!!

Le Frog's gear list:Le Frog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +6 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 18,798
You must have a backup

If this is a "once-in-a lifetime trip" you absolutely need a backup plan if something fails.

Ideally this should be a second M4/3 body but, if the worst comes to the worst, take a superzoom like the Panasonic FZ200 or a travel zoom.

6 years ago my wife and I went to Maui in February to see the humpbacks.  On the first whale watch trip my only telephoto lens started to have a problem but I was unable to find any kind of replacement lens in the local town.  The images from the damaged lens look OK on the small laptop that I had with me, so I continued shooting.

In the 3 days that we spent whale watching I took about 800 shots including 100+ shots of breaches.  When we got back and viewed the images on a large screen they were all unusable.

Now I always travel on major trips with a backup body and some kind of lens backup.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
pocketpygmy Contributing Member • Posts: 829

if the 14mm end of your 10x zoom lens doesn't cut it for 'landscapes' -- is that all a $600-700 UWA lens is good for? -- you might just want to consider the 7.5mm rokinon/samyang/bower fisheye lens at half the price and considerably wider angle of view. de-fished results look great too and are still quite a bit wider than either 9mm and 7mm rectilinear.

LMNCT Veteran Member • Posts: 4,908

You might like to pick up a "normal" lens.  Since you use the Olympus bodies, how about the Oly 25?  Good and fast for subjects after the sun goes down.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +23 more
gak44 Regular Member • Posts: 300

A somewhat contrarian view:

Do you want to take photographs, or do you want to haul around a large kit always wondering if you have the correct body and lens combination and losing shots while swapping lenses.

Get a spare body. In town, or places like the Cape Peninsula or Table Mountain the 9-18 on a camera and the 14-150 in a pocket or small bag will be all you will need. In game preserves or national parks keep the 14-150 on one body and the 75-300 on the other; switch to the 9-18 if you need it for landscapes and mountain views. Keep a small camera in a secure pocket at all times. Mine is an Olympus TG-850, bulky but water, dust and shock proof and 21mm equiv. at the wide end.

Anti-theft straps on the bag and at least one camera are useful if you are going to be in large cities a lot. Carry at least two spare batteries for everything and get a charger that works in a car if you will be in the remote bush.

I have lived and traveled throughout southern Africa with the film and APS digital equivalents of this kit, rarely wanting for more. When I did, it was for something like an then impractically expensive f1.4/f2.0 short tele for evening and night game drives. The Oly 45 or 75 f1.8 would serve this purpose today at a not too excessive price, or just up the sensitivity and accept some noise in low light. Or use a flash on night drives, which is what I used to do.

gak44's gear list:gak44's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +9 more
RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

I am no expert on this subject, not AT ALL, but this makes total sense. Even before I read this post, I was thinking 2nd body, without a doubt, but this post tells you the great majority of everything you need to considernfornthis trip.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
OP giorgipo New Member • Posts: 4

Thank you everybody for your useful and interesting replies! The consensus is: I should get a second body! Good idea, will give to partner on birthday... Saw a good price on the Olympus PM1 : is this a good choice?

Summing up, apart the second body kept in different bag, I should also bring: 3 batteries per camera body, a second charger, a charger that works in a car, the UltraPod II, the Marumi DHG super circular filter (46mm with 37-46 step-up ring), maybe anti-theft straps (??). I was thinking I could use non-olympus batteries: any recommendations on these?

giorgipo's gear list:giorgipo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Le Frog Regular Member • Posts: 489

giorgipo wrote:

Thank you everybody for your useful and interesting replies! The consensus is: I should get a second body! Good idea, will give to partner on birthday... Saw a good price on the Olympus PM1 : is this a good choice?

Summing up, apart the second body kept in different bag, I should also bring: 3 batteries per camera body, a second charger, a charger that works in a car, the UltraPod II, the Marumi DHG super circular filter (46mm with 37-46 step-up ring), maybe anti-theft straps (??). I was thinking I could use non-olympus batteries: any recommendations on these?

My mistake! the 9-18 takes a 52 mm filter (and the 75-300 takes a 58). You might need a 2nd filter after all. Try 2filter.com for best prices on Marumi and expert advice (but compare also with the prices of equivalent Hoya at Adorama or BHPhoto).

The PM1 is rather old in the tooth (1st generation 12 mp sensor). I would go for a PM2 or a PL5 (essentially same performance with a EM5); the only advantages of the latter are a physical mode dial (so what, if once you choose anything but P, you have to use menus) and a tilting screen.

Le Frog's gear list:Le Frog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +6 more
OP giorgipo New Member • Posts: 4

Thanks again. I will start with one filter (have to think on which lens will be used most...hmmm)

giorgipo's gear list:giorgipo's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10
Enir4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,465

To me a very high quality 35mm equivalent lens is missing.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 VI Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads