What are the best spare batteries for E-M1/E-M5?

Started May 31, 2014 | Discussions
OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466
Re: Rose

Henry Richardson wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Now that you mention it, perhaps not. Yeah, I now remember that I've heard of Walimex. A dear child has many names as we say in Swedish (kärt barn har många namn). Is there an English counterpart to that idiom and if so what?

Not exactly the same, but a similar meaning is this expression:

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

It comes from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet:

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

I see the relationship, yes, but I'd say Shakespeare (or rather Juliet) is arguing here that you can't really change the character of things by giving them a new name, which is not quite the same thing (and frequently forgotten in these days of "political correctness").

However, there's a nice Swedish counterpart in this case as well, by one of my favorite poets, Gustaf Fröding. And for some strange reason, he too prefers to talk about roses.

Men strunt är strunt och snus är snus, om ock i gyllne dosor, och rosor i ett sprucket krus är ändå alltid rosor.

Can't guarantee that Google translate will be able to make sense of that.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
richarddd
richarddd Senior Member • Posts: 2,982

Anders W wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Now that you mention it, perhaps not. Yeah, I now remember that I've heard of Walimex. A dear child has many names as we say in Swedish (kärt barn har många namn). Is there an English counterpart to that idiom and if so what?

I see the relationship, yes, but I'd say Shakespeare (or rather Juliet) is arguing here that you can't really change the character of things by giving them a new name, which is not quite the same thing (and frequently forgotten in these days of "political correctness").

However, there's a nice Swedish counterpart in this case as well, by one of my favorite poets, Gustaf Fröding. And for some strange reason, he too prefers to talk about roses.

Men strunt är strunt och snus är snus, om ock i gyllne dosor, och rosor i ett sprucket krus är ändå alltid rosor.

But nonsense is nonsense and snuff, snus, if also in golden boxes, and roses in a broken jar is still always roses

-- hide signature --
 richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466

richarddd wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Anders W wrote:

But nonsense is nonsense and snuff, snus, if also in golden boxes, and roses in a broken jar is still always roses.

Very good Richard, except that "snuff" should be repeated too ("snus" is still Swedish). Was that you or Google?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +28 more
javayoda Regular Member • Posts: 371
(Probably Not) KAPAXEN

Years ago I purchased a two battery set under the trademark KAPAXEN. They came with a charger that looks exactly like the Wasabi charger (including the car adapter). They worked fine with the EM5 although they didn't hold a charge as long as the OEM battery.

Earlier this year I got an EM1. The camera would only work a very short time with these batteries so I stopped using them, thinking they were shot. Today I tried one in the EM5 and it's been working without a hitch. I'm not sure what's going on. I thought about using it in the EM1 again but the last time I tried I had a hard shutdown without warning. Given how much I spent on that camera, I decided it was best not to risk it.

-- hide signature --
Erick L Senior Member • Posts: 1,063
Re: What are the best spare batteries for E-M1/E-M5?

I've been using 6 DSTE for over a year and a half and added 3 more and 4 BLS-5 from them last autumn. I also have a bunch of GoPro batteries from them. No problem except for one battery (BLN-1) that wouldn't keep its charge. I like the charger since I travel on a bicycle with 2-3 chargers and 4-6 plates covering 3 types of batteries. They can also be charged in a Pearstone charger but not in the Olympus charger.

I'm happy with them.

-- hide signature --

Erick - www.borealphoto.com

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 12,698
I don't buy cheap garbage...

arbuz wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Ya, you pay $$$$ for a good camera, why be a cheapskate on batteries, the life blood of the camera?

Do you buy the most expensive gasoline as well and drink only most expensive bottled water?

Well I don't buy cheap garbage...some local third party gas has been discovered to be 50% water, and some bottled water has foreign chemicals in them.

stagedoor Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: DSTE battery disassembled

I know next to nothing about the engineering and attributes of batteries but here are photos of a Dot.foto BLN-1 clone which I took apart after it failed to realise expected performance.

In one of the pictures there is an orange pad around 1mm thick - this is on the side that that others have noted has a possibility of bulging. Connected?

The lettering on the cell reads

FT603443AR

ABHGE 3.7V

Hope this is of interest to techies!

stagedoor's gear list:stagedoor's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +5 more
baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,108

The first battery I bought for my EM5 was an EzoPower, which only lasted 3 months. Fifteen bad reviews out of 20 on Amazon. Enough said.

Since then, I bought three other BLN-1's in pairs from ebay.
-First set came with generic charger, won't work in BCS-1 charger. Maybe $16. One quit working.
-Second set are Progos. About $15 USD. Still work. Will charge in BCS-1.
-Last set are Maximal Power. Also $15. Still work. Will charge in BCS-1.

I thought charging in the BCS-1 charger was an advantage. It is not. The "compatibles" do not charge fully in the BCS-1 charger. For a full charge, they need to go into my generic charge. The Olympus battery also doesn't fully charge in the generic charger. So I need both chargers on my desk to charge my five remaining clones and one OEM battery.

By the way, the amount of charge in dispute here is little more than a quarter volt, which I guess might be a a 30-40 shots at most.  It might not bother many users.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
Thomas Niemann Veteran Member • Posts: 4,353

Probably this one, 850 mAh.

travlinhoosier Regular Member • Posts: 192
I've been using a couple of Progo batteries for about 9 months with no problems and

they charge in the Oly charger just fine. They're far cheaper than the Oly batteries and they get good reviews on Amazon.  I got a spare Oly battery when I got the EM-1 but due to a rapid discharge experience, for whatever reason, I decided two of those might not get me through the day and two of these cost a lot less than one of the oem and any difference is not obvious to me.

travlinhoosier's gear list:travlinhoosier's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,296

I buy OEM batteries for my Olympus cameras. I've had issues with various aftermarket batteries and they've never lasted as long.

(For my Sony A7, I use the Wasabi batteries and they're virtually identical to the Sony OEMs. Don't know why the difference.)

-- hide signature --
Scotsman Senior Member • Posts: 1,447

I've had the Wasabi batteries for 18 months. They work perfectly.

-- hide signature --

A DSLR is a black hole that you throw money in to, and enjoy every minute of it!!!!

Scotsman's gear list:Scotsman's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +7 more
Allan Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,382

stagedoor wrote:

I know next to nothing about the engineering and attributes of batteries but here are photos of a Dot.foto BLN-1 clone which I took apart after it failed to realise expected performance.

In one of the pictures there is an orange pad around 1mm thick - this is on the side that that others have noted has a possibility of bulging. Connected?

The lettering on the cell reads

FT603443AR

ABHGE 3.7V

Hope this is of interest to techies!

I was the one who mentioned the bulging related to the glue.

In my battery, a Wasabi, the pad was held in place with a dab of glue but not as much as is evident in your case. The glue had migrated and clumped pushing the cells apart thus giving the bulging appearance.

The pad is required to prevent one of the cells shorting out.

In my case, the battery failed due to a faulty circuit board otherwise, I would have removed the glue and held the cells and pad together with tape. The cells, themselves, are still good and not swollen.

Allan

Elix Regular Member • Posts: 298

Anders W wrote:

Even when it is possible to get shipping from the US to Europe, it is usually so expensive that it makes no sense for products like this. I'd expect a shipping cost of some 50 USD even if it is a small and light item like a battery.

Actually USA postal prices are very low. For example, $15 for up 1 pounds, "slow" shipping to Europe.
However most seller do not ship overseas or overcharge for doing it.

Elix's gear list:Elix's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
Re: Olympus brand!

Cani wrote:

So what? Buy your camera body from a nice place that can offer you a very good price and reward them by purchasing a manufacturer battery or two.

"reward" a business? That's laughable. If you want to be generous with your own money, that's fine, but not telling other what they should do with their own.

Original batteries are overpriced, and it's just right that there is a market for compatible ones.

Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +3 more
stagedoor Regular Member • Posts: 107

Thomas Niemann wrote:

So - if I understand this correctly - although the voltage stacks up (3.7 x 2 = 7.4), the mAh rating is way off the mark given that this (as explained elsewhere in this thread) does not increase with more than one cell.

stagedoor's gear list:stagedoor's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +5 more

stagedoor wrote:

Thomas Niemann wrote:

So - if I understand this correctly - although the voltage stacks up (3.7 x 2 = 7.4), the mAh rating is way off the mark given that this (as explained elsewhere in this thread) does not increase with more than one cell.

It does increase.

Example, laptop battery 6 cell, 5.2 Amp/Hr
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/43R9254/460/D65CF46CB0DB412FA2E56C552E0D8A38#techspecs

9 cell, 7.8 Amp/Hr
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/43R9255/460/D65CF46CB0DB412FA2E56C552E0D8A38#techspecs

More cells = more weight = more amperage = (optionally) more voltage

Moti Veteran Member • Posts: 7,801
This is what I am using.

http://www.amazon.fr/Dot-Foto-Batterie-qualit%C3%A9-Olympus-InfoChip/dp/B004SG3CCA/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1403035918&sr=8-25&keywords=omd+em10

Bought 6 of them long time ago and never had any problem. And they are 100% compatible with Olympus chargers. Not all bet tries are.

moti

-- hide signature --
Thomas Niemann Veteran Member • Posts: 4,353

Elix wrote:

stagedoor wrote:

Thomas Niemann wrote:

It does increase.

Example, laptop battery 6 cell, 5.2 Amp/Hr
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/43R9254/460/D65CF46CB0DB412FA2E56C552E0D8A38#techspecs

9 cell, 7.8 Amp/Hr
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/43R9255/460/D65CF46CB0DB412FA2E56C552E0D8A38#techspecs

More cells = more weight = more amperage = (optionally) more voltage

When identical batteries are in series the voltage adds the current rating does not.

When identical batteries are in parallel the current rating adds and the voltage rating does not.

Lithium ion batteries are rated at 3.6 volts. For 10.8 volts we must have three batteries in series (3 x 3.6 = 10.8).

For 6 batteries we have 2 parallel stacks, each stack containing 3 batteries. So 2 parallel stacks doubles the amperage. That works out to 5.2/2 = 2.6 amps/stack.

For 9 batteries we have 3 parallel stacks, each stack containing 3 batteries. So 3 parallel stacks triples the amperage. That works out to 7.8/3 = 2.6 amps/stack.

Thomas Niemann wrote:

When identical batteries are in series the voltage adds the current rating does not.

When identical batteries are in parallel the current rating adds and the voltage rating does not.

Correct. But since most applications require constant voltage, the practical consequence is that "more cells = more amperage = longer lasting".

Of course, in photography that cannot be done done because the battery has a constrained size, unlike some laptops and electrical tools.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads