D70 with accessories for $85

Started May 31, 2014 | Discussions
Dennis2 Regular Member • Posts: 202
D70 with accessories for $85

I have a local photo store selling D70 + 3 batteries + remote for $85. Reportedly in good condition.

A few month back I saw D70 sell for $200 to $300, not sure if there were extras.

So just wondering if this is a good price ... If I want to buy this, do I look for anything specific? I mean is that a fair price or should I skip this deal?

Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594
Re: D70 with accessories for $85

I can't l comment on American prices but that does sound cheap

I'd check ebay and see what the buy it now prices look like...

the extras aren't worth much. In the uk a battery is a few pounds and the remote under $10 new

for a while I think all DSLRs kept some value as people were still hoping to enter the sector cheaply. But think there are lots of used cameras for sale and the D70s is quite old

But I enjoyed mine. I hope you enjoy yours..

1PhotoFan Contributing Member • Posts: 997

If the camera is in good condition and it includes the lens, I would say that is an excellent price.  The lens alone has to be worth that price.  If I were looking for a camera to "learn" with - I would grab it!  I still have a D70 as a backup body.  It still takes great photos.

I don't see how you could lose at that price.  You could probably resell it for double that price.

Dale

-- hide signature --

Living the dream ... cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 3,594

I was assuming it didn't include a lens. With any Dx lens its amazing

Virtual Photon Contributing Member • Posts: 739

Dennis2 wrote:

I have a local photo store selling D70 + 3 batteries + remote for $85. Reportedly in good condition.

A few month back I saw D70 sell for $200 to $300, not sure if there were extras.

So just wondering if this is a good price ... If I want to buy this, do I look for anything specific? I mean is that a fair price or should I skip this deal?

Despite the advances in newer models, the D70 is still a very capable camera IF it is still in good working condition.

Look at all sides of the camera.  Wear or scuffs wouldn't bother me, but look for any cracks or any evidence of it being dropped.

Check the battery compartment to check for signs of corrosion.

If it doesn't come with a lens, put a lens on it and take a series of photos at various shutter speeds and apertures to make sure the internals are working properly.

Take a photograph of a white wall (or plain blue sky) at f22 (or at least f16) and look at the image  after increasing the contrast to look for excessive dirt or scratches on the sensor.  dirt can be cleaned, but scratches are a deal killer.

Make sure the flash works.

Photo stores usually have a clear idea of how much equipment is worth so if it seems cheap . . .

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II +8 more
OP Dennis2 Regular Member • Posts: 202

no, no lens

It's described as good condition, works well.  Includes strap, remote & 3 batteries, no charger.

inlawbiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,553

That is a fair price.  D70s' are usually around $100, although they are the same exact camera after you upgrade the slightly older D70's firmware.  Either way, a great camera for next to nothing.

inlawbiker's gear list:inlawbiker's gear list
Nikon D2X Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Brian in Montana
Brian in Montana Regular Member • Posts: 442

KEH is selling the D70 in the same price range. Sounds like you'll be spending a little more money to get a charger (but getting extra batteries). It's a fair deal if the camera isn't too bashed up.

Don't buy it without shooting some photos first (and reviewing them on the camera or, even better, on a computer).

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,406

A good price. The extra batteries make the camera, charger, and battery around $70-$75. Nice beginners camera.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
Rolleix Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

To bad din't have the 18-70mm on it.

Rolleix's gear list:Rolleix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100 II Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon D750 +12 more
Marla2008
Marla2008 Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

Great price if the condition is good. Fantastic camera, if you can live with the post stamp sized LCD screen. Other than that, it will still make super pictures !

-- hide signature --

"If you don't have an expression, you don't have a shot" - Peter Hurley.
http://itsnotthecamera.wordpress.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads