Richard

Richard Pavek
OP Richard Pavek Veteran Member • Posts: 6,969
Re: A Rainbow Lorikeet

Nice shot,
Richard

LeeS Contributing Member • Posts: 785
Bluebirds with OI Share remote shutter release

E-M1 + Lumix 35-100 on tripod 8 feet from Bluebird box. Changed focus point and released shutter using OI Share on the iPhone from about 30 feet away.

Lee

Edit: full name is Eastern Bluebird

Male bluebird with worm for babies

Female bluebird; note less blue on head

Both in same frame, focal point on male

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F
Richard Pavek
Re: Central Oregon birds this week

Very nice, I never see any of these.
Richard

Richard Pavek
Re: Blue Tit has just left the nest exploring my backyard

Love the shot

Richard

Richard Pavek
Re: Little Corella

Nice action shot

Richard

Richard Pavek
Re: A few blue jay shots from the backyard...

Always nice to have feeder around

Richard

MeanGene2 Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: A few blue jay shots from the backyard...

Very nice shots, all of them.

MeanGene2's gear list:MeanGene2's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM +1 more
Richard Pavek
Re: Bluebirds with OI Share remote shutter release

Nice, I don't have an iPhone, I wonder if there is an Android remote shutter.
Richard

joeletx Senior Member • Posts: 2,378

Richard Pavek wrote:

Nice, I don't have an iPhone, I wonder if there is an Android remote shutter.
Richard

I have been using Android remote shutter for sometime and it works quite well. You can tap on the phone and it focuses where you tap and takes the shot instantaneously. You can set timer delay for up to 14s which the camera focuses where you tap and takes picture with onscreen countdown. This is so useful with self group portrait; you just set up timer on camera and phone then get into the group and tap on the phone.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Re: Falcon, Hawk, Raven & Snowy Egret

Very nice! Nothing beats the true 300mm F/2.8. I bought a used EC-14 to use with the 50-200 SWD and it is not much better than with the EC-20 in term of detail and sharpness. Using with the E-M1 help a little but nothing can match real prime.

Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Re: The Sunday BIRD Volume 9 Issue 48, May 25, 2014

The tri-color shots are very nice.

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,197

A nice set and another inducement to consider upgrading my camera!

Andrew

DavBem Regular Member • Posts: 395
Just flying

Tested the new m43 40-150 lens. Some kind of BIf.

DavBem's gear list:DavBem's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-510 +4 more
JLTaylor Senior Member • Posts: 1,069
Re: M1 firmware

Richard Pavek wrote:

Hi Everybody,

Memorial Day weekend for us in the States, a time of remembrance of the war dead and lost loved ones.
Do hope you’ll have some birding time.

NOTE: If you have the M-1 there is a new update available. Looks like a good one!

I updated my M1 to 1.4, and recommend updating. The 50mm was a great improvement, no longer running through all the gears. I think it is better on the M1 then any four thirds body. For telephotos the handling is much better. I took it out yesterday to try CAF on birds in flight. Most of shore birds have moved north, and the few that were around didn't do much flying. Shot a few gulls from a distance, a float plane, and tried for swallows. It is still harder to use then an OVF, once out of focus it is really hard to see anything on the EVF, and if it doesn't get an early lock it will still go through the full range. I think once it gets a lock it tracks better then before.

There was one goose puddle jumping, and it kept lock even with a cluttered background and obstacles in the foreground:

There was a great blue heron in the pond, but he refused to fly. Walked by me about 5 feet away. It was so focused on fishing that even getting a new battery from a zippered pouch didn't make him fly.

I was doing most of these with CAF. It needed help selecting what to focus on, and for some reason we now have CAF+tracking, but no CAF+MF. With the 2x2 switch set to select MF as a workaround, and using focus peaking it is easy to get the CAF a good starting point.

This is how close it got (uncropped). Not a heron's best side.

I wanted BIF, but I got a nice series of it fishing up close. I didn't know they ate fish this small, from a distance I thought they frequently missed.

Fraction of a second later it somehow moved the fish.

Big gulp for such a small fish. Would think it was eating a bullfrog.

Playing with it's food

The new AF firmware is a good improvement for four thirds lenses.  The EVF - mixed bag - focus peaking can really help, DOF and blackout are a disadvantage. Ultimatly I think on sensor PDAF should be the best solution for BIF because there is so much information about shape, color, size and distance for the PDAF sensors.Hopefully the development of the new 300 F4 has AF for wildlife as a major design goal. Olympus still has a ways to go.

There was enough of an improvement, and now that I have the M1 setup properly I like the handling.  Like the update enough that I decided to put a longer plate on my 300mm. The old one balanced with the E5, but not the M1.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads