DIY- The 4$ tune up for the SEL1650 - Lens hood

Started May 24, 2014 | Discussions
cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,430
DIY- The 4$ tune up for the SEL1650 - Lens hood

Hi,

just wanted to inform you about a easy and effective improvement of the SEL1650 lens, which is quite sensitive to strong light (e.g. window) just outside of the frame. It is supplied without a lens hood and uses a 49.5 mm filter thread.

Step one: get a filter ring adapter from 40.5 to 49mm

Step two: tape a small strip of black enforced linen tape (not electrical tape) onto the outside of the filter ring.

Step three: Take the lens hood of the SEL1855 and press it onto the filter ring adapter.

Step 4: Screw it onto your 1650 lens till it gets somewhat tight.

Step 5: Mark topmost part of the ring (best from front) with a pen

Step 6: Unscrew, take off hood and then align red dot of the lens hood ("SONY", indicating top position) with mark on the adapter, then press hood onto the adapter in that position.

Finished. You can now use the lens hood of the SEL1855 as a screw-on lens hood for the SEl1650PZ.

This hood does not shade the corners even at 16mm in my experience and sticks quite well onto the ring with this modification. While it is not perfect, it certainly improves flaring. If you don't own 1855, the hood can be sourced in the web for 5-7 $.

As alternative, you can instead get an adapter from 49.5 to 52 and use one of the cheap screw-one lens hoods. However, the risk is with those to get one that doesn't vignette.

Lens hood of SEL1855 mounted on SEL1650PZ

Enjoy!

-- hide signature --
 cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +3 more
santiclaws Senior Member • Posts: 1,201
Re: DIY- The 4$ tune up for the SEL1650 - Lens hood

Why not just buy a hood with 40.5mm thread in the first place?

cxsparc
OP cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,430

santiclaws wrote:

Because the hood of my 1855 is available and I won't need it anymore for the 1855 (retired )

Because I could test that this hood works properly with the 1650.

Because hoods for 40,5 are usually for MFt or smaller cams and will very likely vignette a lot when used with the 1650 at 16mm.

-- hide signature --
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +3 more
Keit ll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,333

I was surprised to see that a hood was not supplied with the A6000 but the dealer assured me that one was not necessary ! I didn't spot the lens threads when I first looked at the camera & the fact that they are 40.5 mm certainly complicates matters.

cxsparc

Keit ll wrote:

I was surprised to see that a hood was not supplied with the A6000 but the dealer assured me that one was not necessary ! I didn't spot the lens threads when I first looked at the camera & the fact that they are 40.5 mm certainly complicates matters.

Not necessary? Well, sometime it is.

One instance where the 1670 worked much better with its hood mounted compared to 1650 no hood mounted (there is a bright window to the upper right outside of the picture):

1650 no hood, notice the bleak fur and green linen due to the flare

1670 with hood

I have tested the upper situation with the hood of the 1855 on the 1650 and it visibly improved the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have the shot available anymore.
By the way, this is not a fragile solution. The hood clamps onto the ring adapter quite firmly, actually so much that you could tighten the ring onto the camera by turning the hood certainly to such a degree that you would have difficulties getting it off again ;-). This is not an actual danger, just shows that even without any glue it works nicely.

-- hide signature --
dquangt Senior Member • Posts: 2,492

santiclaws wrote:

Because the hood of my 1855 is available and I won't need it anymore for the 1855 (retired )

Because hoods for 40,5 are usually for MFt or smaller cams and will very likely vignette a lot when used with the 1650 at 16mm.

I tried a cheapie hood off eBay for a couple bucks that didn't flare so it isn't that hard to find.

i meant didn't vignette n/m

No text.

I meant didn't vignette n/m

No text.

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239

Since stray light is mostly a problem during daylight, it behooves to ask how well this setup works with a polarizing filter, which must be rotated.  Also, does mounting any kind of filter with this setup cause vignetting?

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +13 more
alan brown Contributing Member • Posts: 671

cxsparc wrote:

santiclaws wrote:

The last part isn't necessarily true.  Although some 40.5 hoods will vignette, I bought a wide angle metal hood (40.5) from ebay seller heavy stars and it works perfectly.  Very small.

Diy stuff is often fun though.

-- hide signature --

alan brown

cxsparc

Since stray light is mostly a problem during daylight, it behooves to ask how well this setup works with a polarizing filter, which must be rotated. Also, does mounting any kind of filter with this setup cause vignetting?

With this solution, the hood is on the outside of the ring, not where the filter threads are. So you can mount your standard 49 mm pol filter which as you would without a hood. Using a large filter instead of a 40.5 type which is specific only for the 1650 also has the benefit of avoiding vignetting. Accessing the filter is no problem either.

By the way, I would assume that with a pol filter, flare should be already minimal anyway?

Also, my example is indoors where you can have very strong differences in light level, whereas outside, I would assume that the dynamics are lower?

@Alan Brown: Maybe I should emphasize that this isn't the one and only solution, but for the many Nex owners that already have the 1855, it provides with minimal effort and single digit costs a good improvement for the 1650 lens. And it has the advantage to know that this specific hood works, whereas with ebay/web it is always an experiment.

-- hide signature --
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,251

I bought a metal screw-in hood on Amazon that does not vignette and which can screw right onto the circular polarizer that is mounted on my lens most of the time.  It doesn't look as cool as the Sony hood that is shown here but I don't have one of the Sony hoods, anyway.

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
what hood?

CameraCarl wrote:

I bought a metal screw-in hood on Amazon that does not vignette and which can screw right onto the circular polarizer that is mounted on my lens most of the time. It doesn't look as cool as the Sony hood that is shown here but I don't have one of the Sony hoods, anyway.

Would be great if folks provided a link to the hoods that worked for them!

uhligfd Senior Member • Posts: 2,981

You touch on a serious flaw with many shooters: at a public event recently, with the sun low and in our faces, 88%  of the shooters used no hood, and 100 % of those with a lens hood in reverse on their lenses did not put it on properly. Many of the cameras in use where Sony!

And then we hear their complaints here about flare and non contrasty Sony lenses etc .

Why carry  a hood and not put it on? All my lenses have a hood and a cover for its front.

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,340
My E16-50PZ hood....

check my hood:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50845658

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,251
Re: what hood?

Toccata47 wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

I bought a metal screw-in hood on Amazon that does not vignette and which can screw right onto the circular polarizer that is mounted on my lens most of the time. It doesn't look as cool as the Sony hood that is shown here but I don't have one of the Sony hoods, anyway.

Would be great if folks provided a link to the hoods that worked for them!

http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-LW405-40-5mm-Contax-Voigtlander/dp/B005WQZ2NC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401033438&sr=8-1&keywords=40.5+metal+lens+hood

Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239

cxsparc wrote:

Since stray light is mostly a problem during daylight, it behooves to ask how well this setup works with a polarizing filter, which must be rotated. Also, does mounting any kind of filter with this setup cause vignetting?

With this solution, the hood is on the outside of the ring, not where the filter threads are. So you can mount your standard 49 mm pol filter which as you would without a hood. Using a large filter instead of a 40.5 type which is specific only for the 1650 also has the benefit of avoiding vignetting. Accessing the filter is no problem either.

By the way, I would assume that with a pol filter, flare should be already minimal anyway?

Also, my example is indoors where you can have very strong differences in light level, whereas outside, I would assume that the dynamics are lower?

@Alan Brown: Maybe I should emphasize that this isn't the one and only solution, but for the many Nex owners that already have the 1855, it provides with minimal effort and single digit costs a good improvement for the 1650 lens. And it has the advantage to know that this specific hood works, whereas with ebay/web it is always an experiment.

Have you personally tried this setup outside and have experienced no vignetting?

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +13 more
whelmi
whelmi Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: Off the shelf metal lens hood

Well, the JJC LH-405EP metal lens hood (originally designed for MFT lenses) works perfectly on the PZ 16-50 mm:

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-LH-405EP-SAMSUNG-20-50mm-OLYMPUS/dp/B005OPLGK4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401104190&sr=8-1&keywords=JJC+LH-405EP

No vignetting at all. Add a cheapish 62 mm front lens cap to that setup and you're fine!

Wolfgang

whelmi's gear list:whelmi's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,593
Do you know Starbucks makes lens hood too?

Best part is it costs $0

The focus ring still works, sort of...

Also, I can still put on the lens cap.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 IrfanView Corel Aftershot Pro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads