correct AF in these action shots -A6000 & LA4 +Tamron 70-300 USD

Started May 24, 2014 | Discussions
clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026
correct AF in these action shots -A6000 & LA4 +Tamron 70-300 USD

tried these wake boarders with A6000 with LA4 _ Tamron 70-300 USD

used shutter mode with AF-C but didn't do tracking. used AF-S first, then moved to AF-C, but now I can't figure out which shots are which ones

i did focus on the subject and followed all the way until they jumped into the water , but the images not sharp enough, especially water splash not sharp and riders are sharp as we can see. what do I need to do to fix the sharpness of water

should I up the fstop to 8 to get splash clear, then it will raise the iso or is it focus speed problem?

your help is really appreciated !!!

 clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,468
re: can you take and post a series of static target shots...
1

clearzoom wrote:

tried these wake boarders with A6000 with LA4 _ Tamron 70-300 USD


...at the same shooting distance as this one, with good light? Of course replicating also all other shooting params from the exif, and of course the same lens, FL and LA4 ? The plane of critical focus seems to coincide with his left boot and the towing rope - at least only there the details are about good enough. Are these processed RAWs or rather JPGs (it seems the latter)??

jpr2

OP clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026
Re: re: can you take and post a series of static target shots...

jpr2 wrote:

clearzoom wrote:

tried these wake boarders with A6000 with LA4 _ Tamron 70-300 USD

...at the same shooting distance as this one, with good light? Of course replicating also all other shooting params from the exif, and of course the same lens, FL and LA4 ? The plane of critical focus seems to coincide with his left boot and the towing rope - at least only there the details are about good enough. Are these processed RAWs or rather JPGs (it seems the latter)??

jpr2

jpr - thks for the comment. yes I waited today for bright sunlight, but it didn't come, sun light was average today, so you have a good point there.

also increasing shutter speed to 1/4000 helps? it might up the iso to 800 or 1600 depending on sunlight, as I go back to this event on sunday AM. these are jpg.

 clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,468
re: can you take and post a series of static target shots...
1

clearzoom wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

clearzoom wrote:

tried these wake boarders with A6000 with LA4 _ Tamron 70-300 USD

...at the same shooting distance as this one, with good light? Of course replicating also all other shooting params from the exif, and of course the same lens, FL and LA4 ? The plane of critical focus seems to coincide with his left boot and the towing rope - at least only there the details are about good enough. Are these processed RAWs or rather JPGs (it seems the latter)??

jpr2

jpr - thks for the comment. yes I waited today for bright sunlight, but it didn't come, sun light was average today, so you have a good point there.

also increasing shutter speed to 1/4000 helps? it might up the iso to 800 or 1600 depending on sunlight, as I go back to this event on sunday AM. these are jpg.

...not sure whether it might be SS-dependent, that small series you've posted already contained 1/4000 sec. but the shots were worse than the one I've singled out.

I'm following with high interest all fast action cases from the a6k and various lenses, but so far it was ONLY series from the 18-105/4 PZ that yielded beautifully crisp and critically focused images.

Even the 16070/4 ZA, of which we know that it is highly capable of delivering stunningly crisp static scenes, so far has failed to convince me that the same will be a norm for fast action and 11 FPS.

As to the JPG mode - it was certainly a downgrading factor in many fast dynamic action shooting sesions, so... I'd suggest to try and compare RAWs for your "Perfect Light + Static Scenes" testing scenario

jpr2

PS thank you for the high praise in PM

OP clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026
Re: re: can you take and post a series of static target shots...

jpr2 wrote:

...not sure whether it might be SS-dependent, that small series you've posted already contained 1/4000 sec. but the shots were worse than the one I've singled out.

I'm following with high interest all fast action cases from the a6k and various lenses, but so far it was ONLY series from the 18-105/4 PZ that yielded beautifully crisp and critically focused images.

you made me happy today as I do have 18-105G and is primary lens . I have used for some Jousting that it handled, but they are not that fast

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3666263

but wake boarders, I needed tele zoom mostly from 100-300mm, so i didnt take that 105G lens today.

i had low fps today and can try Mid Burst. as the high Burst 11fps fills up SD card and drains battery fast, but will do when necessary here ?.

I am not sure if this LA2/LA4 for ACTION is exactly same PDAF result that you can get from SLT for ACTION with the same Lens , but IS only MY guess !!!

As to the JPG mode - it was certainly a downgrading factor in many fast dynamic action shooting sesions, so... I'd suggest to try and compare RAWs for your "Perfect Light + Static Scenes" testing scenario

ok, let me do RAW + JPG

 clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
nandbytes Senior Member • Posts: 5,972
Re: re: can you take and post a series of static target shots...
1

clearzoom wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

...not sure whether it might be SS-dependent, that small series you've posted already contained 1/4000 sec. but the shots were worse than the one I've singled out.

I'm following with high interest all fast action cases from the a6k and various lenses, but so far it was ONLY series from the 18-105/4 PZ that yielded beautifully crisp and critically focused images.

you made me happy today as I do have 18-105G and is primary lens . I have used for some Jousting that it handled, but they are not that fast

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3666263

but wake boarders, I needed tele zoom mostly from 100-300mm, so i didnt take that 105G lens today.

i had low fps today and can try Mid Burst. as the high Burst 11fps fills up SD card and drains battery fast, but will do when necessary here ?.

don't think any amount of bursting will help in these cases. Instead of one bad shot you'll have 11.

bursting is not the answer to get good action shots (I don't know where people got this idea from). Its a helpful tool but if you are still learning all you doing is spraying and praying. I suggest practising things like panning, tracking, focussing etc.

I am not sure if this LA2/LA4 for ACTION is exactly same PDAF result that you can get from SLT for ACTION with the same Lens , but IS only MY guess !!!

considering your focal length and shutter speed OSS/IBIS will have *NO* effect. In fact its better with it turned off.

Its the same AF module. Technically its the same (unless you use A77/99 or new A77m2). Even then people claim because of the new processor the speed is on the level on A77/99.

As to the JPG mode - it was certainly a downgrading factor in many fast dynamic action shooting sesions, so... I'd suggest to try and compare RAWs for your "Perfect Light + Static Scenes" testing scenario

ok, let me do RAW + JPG

Back you pictures, the light certainly doesn't seem to be on your side. You pictures are lacking contrast and are very flat.

Try 1/1000 and f/8 for a bit more DoF but like jpr2 mentioned your focus doesn't seem on the face of the person but rather on rope.

Also make sure you don't have back-focus/front-focus issue with that lens, if so you may have to do some microfocus adjustment with your camera. While you are testing this you should also be able test the sharpness of your lens.

I will say this again buying a SLT will not make these picture any better you'll be equally disappointed.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

 nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha a7R III Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +3 more
OP clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026
Re: re: can you take and post a series of static target shots...

Thks guys. Think less light was main reason but you right I need to focus on tracking focus subject
I am Out Of Town and driving now so try Monday

 clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads