Pentax

Started May 22, 2014 | User reviews
orendanger New Member • Posts: 4
Pentax

ok i love it first thing i really do its big for a mirorles however it outperforms most aps-c dslr of its year BUT BUT it has a slight meetering problem it wants to use slow shutter speeds alwayes

 orendanger's gear list:orendanger's gear list
Pentax K-01 Epson R-D1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens
Pentax K-01
16 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 2, 2012
orendanger's score
4.0
Average community score
4.1
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
tom1234567
tom1234567 Senior Member • Posts: 1,803
Re: Pentax

orendanger wrote:

ok i love it first thing i really do its big for a mirorles however it outperforms most aps-c dslr of its year BUT BUT it has a slight meetering problem it wants to use slow shutter speeds alwayes

Your back again??????????

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

 tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2
afterswish1
afterswish1 Contributing Member • Posts: 743
Re: Pentax

orendanger wrote:

ok i love it first thing i really do its big for a mirorles however it outperforms most aps-c dslr of its year BUT BUT it has a slight meetering problem it wants to use slow shutter speeds alwayes

Prove it by posting a few images with exif intact

-- hide signature --

Gravity will make you crazy until you get the hang of it.

JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Pentax

OK, I sort of enjoy seeing these reviews of older Pentax digital cameras that are no longer in production, but WHAT GIVES??? Who are these folks who keep doing this, and WHY? While I figure it's OK for anyone to review any product at any time (after all, if they just bought it, it's NEW to THEM), it seems a bit strange to see reviews for cameras such as the K-01, which has been out of production for a couple of years, now -- or, especially, the K-20D, which was also reviewed here recently and has been out of production for at least, what, 6, 7 years? It's from before MY time in the Pentax digital world. I certainly know that. Of course I just got into Pentax digital just shy of three years ago, but the K-20D was already OLD NEWS then, having long been usurped by the K-7 and K-5 (and since I don't know the exact order of cameras PRIOR to the K-7, NOR if the K-20D was a TOP- or MID-tier camera, I have no idea how long prior to the K-7 it was in the line  -- or discontinued).

Of course I still see plenty of great images posted here by folks who still shoot with a K20, so I'm not saying it's irrelevant. The latest issue of Outdoor Photographer magazine even has a monthly contest winner shot with one, I think (all the rest were shot on Canons or Nikons). It just seems a bit ODD seeing reviews for cameras so "long in the tooth," that's all.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

 JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +8 more
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,691
Recent model and mirrorless.... ??
2

Jeff,

I did the same, so guilty as well........ why? perhaps because the k-01 whilst out of production for the rest of the world, was given a new lease of life in Blue recently for the Japanese market who seem to like it. I guess it's not quite dead and buried as much as the k20D (no offence intended to K20 owners) Also,

because by being the only recent mirror less large sensor that Pentax had a go at and that it's now very cheap and available to those who like me where curious from the outset, makes it still kind of interesting to a few of us.

I also do find it interesting to see a 'good' review on older Pentax DSLR's, especially where some of them had functions, capabilities and sensors that spark certain little interests in me.

As you alluded to....... this is a forum about Pentax...........after that, well anyone can post what they like and the proof of interest will be in the amount of interest it does or doesn't get.

Believe me, sometimes I shake my head as well, but then I know there are those who will do so about my threads..... if it doesn't float your boat, leave it alone I guess...... 

Brentliris Veteran Member • Posts: 3,557
Re: Recent model and mirrorless.... ??

I could see getting a K-01 as a back up and for it's uniqueness which gives it something extra, imo worth owning, image qualitiy wise it is no slouch.

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

 Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3 II Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +10 more
robbo d Senior Member • Posts: 2,691
Re: Recent model and mirrorless.... ??

I bought the K-01 as a back up of sorts and because it does have the time lapse function which i want to use for weddings and the like, plus it uses the same battery as my K5IIs. Nice to have a full set of common batteries....same as the K3 as well(bonus).

Image quality..........well it's pretty damn good, why?, because as it's mirror less, does not have the micro adjustment issues of DSLR's. When you nail focus in a controlled situation or with landscape it maximises the sharpness of your lenses.

There were recent forum users who shot with k-01 in a professional or semi pro with studio stuff, making use of the focus peaking. So as the sensor is pretty much the same as the K50, it's a fairly current and relative piece of kit, especially now it's cheap.

Tom__Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,345
Love my K-01
2

For all the K-01's user interface problems and focus performance, most of my photography is done in Av mode with a DA-21L. Extremely unsophisticated, to be sure, but I shoot a K-01 with a DA-21L in Av mode and get stunning results on a regular basis.  This is one of the cameras I took to Florida on our winter vacation and it was brilliant and convenient.  Love it.

It's a camera that only a Pentax fan can love but I'm a Pentax fan so it's great for me.

As for the bias for slow shutter speeds, I haven't noticed it and it has not been an issue for me.

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

 Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K20D HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
nbela Senior Member • Posts: 1,088
Re: Recent model and mirrorless.... ??

I bought the K-01 in 12-2013 (used from the other forum marketplace) as an intermediate step until I replace my trusty ol' K20D.

Is K-01 perfect? Nope. It has a few shortcomings? Yes.

Do I use it more than my K20D since I've bought it? Yes I do!

Because the DR is night and day from the K20D... because I can use my old manual primes (and DA limiteds) with focus peaking, I dont even bother to switch back to AF

Besides these positive features (and many other things/features which I don't recall right now) It took some time for me to get used to not to slap my forehead trying to look through the non existent viewfinder on the K-01

Shooting mostly landscapes & macros from tripod the K-01 proved to be a very good tool.

I love it.

 nbela's gear list:nbela's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +3 more
JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,334
Re: Love my K-01
2

I have no problem with people posting reviews of the K-01 because 1) it remains in production for the Japanese market, 2) got few reviews and none that were detailed and accurate, 3) remains largely misunderstood, and 4) needs the deserved love it gets so that Pentax (Ricoh) starts thinking in a modern way about a high-quality mirrorless update.

Yes, it is 1 frps in RAW, so for many situations it just doesn't work real well. However, if you need a quiet, unobtrusive camera for low light situations such as concerts - by adding a quality loupe you can achieve extremely good results without the intrusions that are inevitable from the three major brands. I also disagree with the idea that the overall quality of the construction is not good. It is odd, it does have a few loose ends, and it isn't weather sealed, but in most respects it has a fine overall feel. Controls are better than the K-30/50 - closer to flagship models (such as the K20D).

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

 JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T20 Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +18 more
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Love my K-01

I didn't realize Ricoh had given the K-01 a new lease on life in Japan with a new blue model. And I agree with all of you who've said it's not only still a RELEVANT camera to most Pentax shooters, but also one many may still want to add to their systems...

In FACT, several months back, Ron posted a link to a good buy on a used K-01 and I took a look. Of course by the time I looked it was gone, but that got me started snooping around for one, and I discovered there really weren't any available at that time unless I purchased one from China or Japan (which I really didn't want to do). So long as I don't have to pay more than a reasonable used price (or new price, if I can get one that's still new), I'd like to add that to my retinue, as well. I've read a good many things about it that make me think it can come in quite handy in several situations.

I don't know where he disappeared to, but we had a forum member named Wesley Wang a year or so back who was shooting PROFESSIONALLY with the K-01. He shot covers for some of the foreign (Chinese, I think) issues of Vogue magazine, as well a a promotional video to match for the magazine's website with the K-01, and it was HIS extraordinary shots of a sunset over a Pacific beach with that camera and the Samyang/Rokinon F3.5 8mm lens that were the impetus to make me finally "take the leap" and buy that particular lens.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

 JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +8 more
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Jeff...

JeffAHayes wrote:

I didn't realize Ricoh had given the K-01 a new lease on life in Japan with a new blue model. And I agree with all of you who've said it's not only still a RELEVANT camera to most Pentax shooters, but also one many may still want to add to their systems...

In FACT, several months back, Ron posted a link to a good buy on a used K-01 and I took a look. Of course by the time I looked it was gone, but that got me started snooping around for one, and I discovered there really weren't any available at that time unless I purchased one from China or Japan (which I really didn't want to do). So long as I don't have to pay more than a reasonable used price (or new price, if I can get one that's still new), I'd like to add that to my retinue, as well. I've read a good many things about it that make me think it can come in quite handy in several situations.

I don't know where he disappeared to, but we had a forum member named Wesley Wang a year or so back who was shooting PROFESSIONALLY with the K-01. He shot covers for some of the foreign (Chinese, I think) issues of Vogue magazine, as well a a promotional video to match for the magazine's website with the K-01, and it was HIS extraordinary shots of a sunset over a Pacific beach with that camera and the Samyang/Rokinon F3.5 8mm lens that were the impetus to make me finally "take the leap" and buy that particular lens.

Hi Jeff,

I sent you a PM about a new K-01.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

OP orendanger New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Pentax

i didnt know it would jump up for anyone... but still with what pentax gives in its cameras  and "older" pentax is still relavent but i more asking about the meetering system over exposing

 orendanger's gear list:orendanger's gear list
Pentax K-01 Epson R-D1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens
OP orendanger New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Pentax

uploading now! i may have compensated for it by use a bit of negative expousre comp

 orendanger's gear list:orendanger's gear list
Pentax K-01 Epson R-D1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens
Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,419
Re: Pentax

JeffAHayes wrote:

OK, I sort of enjoy seeing these reviews of older Pentax digital cameras that are no longer in production, but WHAT GIVES??? Who are these folks who keep doing this, and WHY? While I figure it's OK for anyone to review any product at any time (after all, if they just bought it, it's NEW to THEM), it seems a bit strange to see reviews for cameras such as the K-01, which has been out of production for a couple of years, now -- or, especially, the K-20D, which was also reviewed here recently and has been out of production for at least, what, 6, 7 years? It's from before MY time in the Pentax digital world. I certainly know that. Of course I just got into Pentax digital just shy of three years ago, but the K-20D was already OLD NEWS then, having long been usurped by the K-7 and K-5 (and since I don't know the exact order of cameras PRIOR to the K-7, NOR if the K-20D was a TOP- or MID-tier camera, I have no idea how long prior to the K-7 it was in the line -- or discontinued).

Of course I still see plenty of great images posted here by folks who still shoot with a K20, so I'm not saying it's irrelevant. The latest issue of Outdoor Photographer magazine even has a monthly contest winner shot with one, I think (all the rest were shot on Canons or Nikons). It just seems a bit ODD seeing reviews for cameras so "long in the tooth," that's all.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

The K-01 may be out of production - but is still a current model , you can still buy new ones direct from Ricoh , in a variety of colours as listed on the Ricoh online store - listed as from £369 so something of a bargain .

I too still use a K-20D , bought secondhand , it was the flagship model of its day , superceding the K-10D ( which I bought new for my daughter ) which in turn replaced the *istD as the flagship ( I have , and occasionally still use , two of these as well ) .

I am now toying with buying a K5II since they can be picked up for very reasonable money , and while the K-20D is still very competent , should be a step forward .

Incidentally , my time with Pentax goes back to the 1970's , so I can remember all of these , all K mount cameras , and even some of the screw mount cameras , as new models .

--
With kind regards

Derek.

 Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +46 more
Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,419
Re: Love my K-01

JeffAHayes wrote:

In FACT, several months back, Ron posted a link to a good buy on a used K-01 and I took a look. Of course by the time I looked it was gone, but that got me started snooping around for one, and I discovered there really weren't any available at that time unless I purchased one from China or Japan (which I really didn't want to do). So long as I don't have to pay more than a reasonable used price (or new price, if I can get one that's still new), I'd like to add that to my retinue, as well. I've read a good many things about it that make me think it can come in quite handy in several situations.

Jeff

Jeff , still listed on the Ricoh UK store . Here -

http://shop-uk.ricoh-imaging.eu/k01.html?options=cart

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

 Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-01 Pentax *ist D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +46 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads