Nex 3n or c3

Started May 20, 2014 | Discussions
macca1980 Forum Member • Posts: 91
Nex 3n or c3

I currently have a canon 60d and a fuji x10.

I would like a compact system camera pref aps-c that u can take into gigs and use for parties and functions etc.

The x10 is struggling and image and focus not best in low light

Ideally one that could use a canon 50mm 1.8 (with converter )
And one that has a built in flash or bundled .
I am leaning towards a Nex .

I have seen a nex c3 with a standard kit & also a nex 3n with the 16- 50 power zoom.

Any suggestions over either body or lens?
Ideally I will replace my x10 if the image quality is good enough.

Thanks

Jerry R Forum Pro • Posts: 10,247
The C3 is my favorite NEX camera. It is the smallest and the only thing it lacks

The C3 is my favorite NEX camera. It is the smallest and the only thing it lacks is an EVF.

I use the OVF, made for the 16mm lens, with the 24mm Zeiss (takes a little getting use too)

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm & 16-70 E Lenses, Nikon D5100 + 35mm, 85mm & Sigma 150mm lenses, Nikon V1 + 10-30 & 30-110 lenses.

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,754
Re: Nex 3n or c3

Both are dogs. I had both and IQ was on par or less than my LX5, so I resold them. Keep your X10 or get the RX100!

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Panasonic LX100 Casio EX-ZR5000 808 +5 more
tomtom50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,244

same sensor. I have the 3n and it is fine. No EVF socket, but bounceable built-in flash. The 16-50 and the 18-55 are comparable optically, I like the size of the 16-50.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
OP macca1980 Forum Member • Posts: 91
Re: The C3 is my favorite NEX camera. It is the smallest and the only thing it lacks

Jerry R wrote:

The C3 is my favorite NEX camera. It is the smallest and the only thing it lacks is an EVF.

I use the OVF, made for the 16mm lens, with the 24mm Zeiss (takes a little getting use too)

What benefits has the C3 have over the 3N? I see it can switch the screen around for self portraits... which may be handy for quick family shots.

Also i was checking the RAW output on this site & it looks (to my eye) that it has better noise performance than the 60D.

How well does the kit lens 18-55 or 16-50 power zoom perform. (is the 16-50 better)

one more question... apologies. would a kit lens on this aps-c sensor perform better than the 2.0 X10 lens on 2.3" in low light? If not I would buy an older prime for this purpose & use the focus peaking.

It would only really be for gig shot where I would spot meter off the face. All other applications I would expect it to be better than the Fuji X10 in good light.

I want something I can use to take to gigs etc so that its not too bulky like my DSLR.

Thanks

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944

macca1980 wrote:

I currently have a canon 60d and a fuji x10.

I would like a compact system camera pref aps-c that u can take into gigs and use for parties and functions etc.

The x10 is struggling and image and focus not best in low light

Ideally one that could use a canon 50mm 1.8 (with converter )
And one that has a built in flash or bundled .
I am leaning towards a Nex .

I have seen a nex c3 with a standard kit & also a nex 3n with the 16- 50 power zoom.

Any suggestions over either body or lens?
Ideally I will replace my x10 if the image quality is good enough.

Thanks

Hi. First the Canon 50/1.8 from the old AE-1 is one of the worst lenses you could pick...surely you can find something else?

Now you are discussing 2 superceded NEX cameras, but the 3N is 2 generations newer. Better sensor, etc. But again unless these are free for you surely you could make a better choice with a 5N, 5R or a 6?  The last 2 having hybrid PDAF.

Now if you really want an elderly cheap but good NEX, I suggest the F3. Rugged and takes the EVF.

I have an X10...amazing camera. Has some features and abilities that no NEX ever had. But as you said, smaller sensor means not for low-light.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

telefunk wrote:

Both are dogs. I had both and IQ was on par or less than my LX5, so I resold them. Keep your X10 or get the RX100!

They are not dogs. I have an RX100 and it is just like Dxo would predict - better low light and higher DR.

But the kit lenses are not great. I usually use my 3n with a (Cheap) Sigma 30mm f2.8 and that combo is no dog.

Re: The C3 is my favorite NEX camera. It is the smallest and the only thing it lacks

macca1980 wrote:

What benefits has the C3 have over the 3N? I see it can switch the screen around for self portraits... which may be handy for quick family shots.

The 3n screen also flips up so you can do selfies.

The flash may be the biggest difference.

The 3n HDR feature works really well. You can choose ±EV and it auto aligns. Even if you do it yourself later you can use the built-in jpeg HDR to get the settings right and then the auto-bracket will do a RAW HDR sequence.

I'm not sure the C3 has that feature.

Also you can check speed at Imaging Resource

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEXC3/NEXC3A6.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-nex-3n/sony-nex-3nA6.HTM

Generally speaking Sony improves jpeg processing with each Bionz generation.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,944

macca1980 wrote:

Jerry R wrote:

Also i was checking the RAW output on this site & it looks (to my eye) that it has better noise performance than the 60D.

How well does the kit lens 18-55 or 16-50 power zoom perform. (is the 16-50 better)

They are pretty much equal from 20mm on. The 1650 sucks from 16 to 18mm.

one more question... apologies. would a kit lens on this aps-c sensor perform better than the 2.0 X10 lens on 2.3" in low light? If not I would buy an older prime for this purpose & use the focus peaking.

What is 2.3"? In very low light the NEX will certainly outperform the X10, even with a kit lens.

It would only really be for gig shot where I would spot meter off the face. All other applications I would expect it to be better than the Fuji X10 in good light.

I have found the X10 to be an exceptionally capable/reliable camera in daylight and seldom have any metering problems.

I want something I can use to take to gigs etc so that its not too bulky like my DSLR.

Thanks

Please write in with your decision, thanks.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
saintz Contributing Member • Posts: 551

Some of the answers you've gotten here are not great. Here's some facts to answer your questions, from someone who's owned both.

The 3N is the better camera, in general. It includes a built in flash with bounce capabilities. It has a better sensor, especially for high ISO.

The C3 has a few advantages. You can attach a larger flash, which you can't with the 3N (although with the 3N you could use an off camera flash with optical trigger). You can also attach an EVF (although not at the same time as the flash) which you can't with a 3N. These are the only 2 reasons to get the C3 instead.

The 3N and C3 don't have the same sensor. The 3N is 16.1 MP and the C3 is 16.2 MP. Definitely a similar design sensor, but the 3N is a newer version with better high ISO.

Either kit lens is fine. Not great, fine. There are some pros and cons to each, but really I would choose based on body more than the lens.

The Canon EF 50 f1.8 is not worth using. A manual adapter will be cheap but will give you no aperture control or focus. With an expensive adapter to support aperture, focus will still be slow. Get the Sony SEL50 f1.8 for about $200 used (cheaper than a good adapter for the Canon). It is tack sharp and will give you AF and aperture control, plus OSS which the Canon can't.

A 3N with Sony 50 f1.8 will blow away your Canon 60D and Canon 50 f1.8 in image quality. The Canon sensor is the same one they've been recycling since 2009. The 3N sensor is much better at high ISO noise. The lens is very sharp and stabilized. The only area the Canon will beat the Sony is in focus speed, in which case you would need a Sony A6000 (I would just sell your Canon kit and buy this, it's what I did a year ago).

I also have a RX100. The 3N is generally a better camera, much better when you swap out the kit lens. Get the RX100 only if you need jeans pocketable.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS

saintz wrote:

Some of the answers you've gotten here are not great. Here's some facts to answer your questions, from someone who's owned both.

The 3N is the better camera, in general. It includes a built in flash with bounce capabilities. It has a better sensor, especially for high ISO.

The C3 has a few advantages. You can attach a larger flash, which you can't with the 3N (although with the 3N you could use an off camera flash with optical trigger). You can also attach an EVF (although not at the same time as the flash) which you can't with a 3N. These are the only 2 reasons to get the C3 instead.

The 3N and C3 don't have the same sensor. The 3N is 16.1 MP and the C3 is 16.2 MP. Definitely a similar design sensor, but the 3N is a newer version with better high ISO.

Either kit lens is fine. Not great, fine. There are some pros and cons to each, but really I would choose based on body more than the lens.

The Canon EF 50 f1.8 is not worth using. A manual adapter will be cheap but will give you no aperture control or focus. With an expensive adapter to support aperture, focus will still be slow. Get the Sony SEL50 f1.8 for about $200 used (cheaper than a good adapter for the Canon). It is tack sharp and will give you AF and aperture control, plus OSS which the Canon can't.

A 3N with Sony 50 f1.8 will blow away your Canon 60D and Canon 50 f1.8 in image quality. The Canon sensor is the same one they've been recycling since 2009. The 3N sensor is much better at high ISO noise. The lens is very sharp and stabilized. The only area the Canon will beat the Sony is in focus speed, in which case you would need a Sony A6000 (I would just sell your Canon kit and buy this, it's what I did a year ago).

I also have a RX100. The 3N is generally a better camera, much better when you swap out the kit lens. Get the RX100 only if you need jeans pocketable.

Sorry i meant 2/3" not 2.3".

I am really looking to (possibly)replace my X10 not all my Canon gear to be honest & saw that the NEX had APS-C sensor. The only way my budget would stretch to getting a newer NEX was if I sold my X10 first. I would be gutted if I got a NEX and was disappointed (I don't think I would be though)

I will have a look at the 3N & the others mentioned in this thread. (If I can pick one up reasonabe price)

My aim is for a smallish camera that I can use for personal stuff really like, going to gigs etc & days away with the family, but better image quality than the smaller fuji sensor.

@Captura its good to know that the NEX will outperform the X10 in low light even with the kit lens... this was info that I needed.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Its much appreciated.

Amamba
Amamba Senior Member • Posts: 1,935
Re: Neither... look for F3

I switched from Canon DSLR to Nex because of F3, it's a gem. Shooting Nex 6 now because the AF on my F3 died from a well placed water spill, and the IQ is the same between the two. F3 also has more bells & whistles than either of the other two, Sony seem to have designed 3n in a way that pushes it further away from their mid-range cameras. F3 was too close to 6.

For low light, I'd get F3 with Sony 35/1.8 OSS if you can live with fixed prime. Neither of the kit zooms is a good low light lens. Another (cheaper) solution would be Sigma 30/2.8 or 19/2.8 or both. The old versions can be had very cheaply and optically they are the same as the new ones. But 35/1.8 is stabilized and faster.

I don't think you want to use Nifty 50 on Nex. The smart adapter (i.e. the one with AF and focus confirm) will be very expensive and the lens simply isn't worth it. Plus the AF will be slow. You can use a cheap manual focus 50/1.8 from pretty much any make camera with a simple dumb adapter, as long as you don't need AF, the results will be very good. These old manual focus 50mm lenses from 70s and 80s are high quality optics. An alternative would be to invest in Sony SEL50/1.8 OSS, it's about $200 used. It's as sharp as Nifty, stabilized, and with much better color and bokeh.

Another alternative is to get Sony LA-EA2 adapter - if you are patient you can probably find a used one for sub $200 - and then you can use Sony or Konica Minolta A-mount (DSLR) lenses with full AF speed. I have 3 old KM lenses and they are cheap with very good optics, and reasonably fast AF. KM 50/1.7 was only $20, it's a bit softer than Nifty wide open, but has far better color and bokeh and faster AF, overall I'd say it's a better portrait lens. KM 70-210/4 has absolutely great bokeh and colors and was $90, and I just got a KM 35-70/4 that is very sharp with again great colors (something Minolta was famous for) and only $39 delivered from KEH, this is now my walkabout lens. So that adapter pays for itself. The only downside is that almost none of A mount lenses are stabilized, since Sony SLTs have in body stabilization.

It's a good and versatile system, and fun to use, although it does have some limitations (but so does every other system, so far).

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
saintz Contributing Member • Posts: 551

Since people have mentioned F3, here's pro/cons.

3N

+ Built in flash

+ Newer JPEG engine

- No EVF

- No external flash

C3

+ Can take EVF

+ Can take external flash

- Older sensor

F3

+ Built in flash

+ Can take EVF

+ Can take external flash

+ Better grip

- Larger

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS

I switched from Canon DSLR to Nex because of F3, it's a gem. Shooting Nex 6 now because the AF on my F3 died from a well placed water spill, and the IQ is the same between the two. F3 also has more bells & whistles than either of the other two, Sony seem to have designed 3n in a way that pushes it further away from their mid-range cameras. F3 was too close to 6.

For low light, I'd get F3 with Sony 35/1.8 OSS if you can live with fixed prime. Neither of the kit zooms is a good low light lens. Another (cheaper) solution would be Sigma 30/2.8 or 19/2.8 or both. The old versions can be had very cheaply and optically they are the same as the new ones. But 35/1.8 is stabilized and faster.

I don't think you want to use Nifty 50 on Nex. The smart adapter (i.e. the one with AF and focus confirm) will be very expensive and the lens simply isn't worth it. Plus the AF will be slow. You can use a cheap manual focus 50/1.8 from pretty much any make camera with a simple dumb adapter, as long as you don't need AF, the results will be very good. These old manual focus 50mm lenses from 70s and 80s are high quality optics. An alternative would be to invest in Sony SEL50/1.8 OSS, it's about $200 used. It's as sharp as Nifty, stabilized, and with much better color and bokeh.

Another alternative is to get Sony LA-EA2 adapter - if you are patient you can probably find a used one for sub $200 - and then you can use Sony or Konica Minolta A-mount (DSLR) lenses with full AF speed. I have 3 old KM lenses and they are cheap with very good optics, and reasonably fast AF. KM 50/1.7 was only $20, it's a bit softer than Nifty wide open, but has far better color and bokeh and faster AF, overall I'd say it's a better portrait lens. KM 70-210/4 has absolutely great bokeh and colors and was $90, and I just got a KM 35-70/4 that is very sharp with again great colors (something Minolta was famous for) and only $39 delivered from KEH, this is now my walkabout lens. So that adapter pays for itself. The only downside is that almost none of A mount lenses are stabilized, since Sony SLTs have in body stabilization.

It's a good and versatile system, and fun to use, although it does have some limitations (but so does every other system, so far).

Thanks for this info....I think it would just be the kit for me & made up with older MF primes . I will have a look out for the F3 too.

Thanks

Also ... What mount is the sigma 30mm 2.8?

BobSC Veteran Member • Posts: 3,714

I have a nex 3n with the Sony 16/2.8. $300 from keh.

It works well with my Nikon 50 on an adapter.

joe6pack Senior Member • Posts: 1,593

Jerry R wrote:

The C3 also lacks built-in flash, 1080p video, 180 degree articulated LCD, to name a few.

It does, however, has higher density LCD which can also articulate downward.

joe6pack's gear list:joe6pack's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000 Corel Aftershot Pro IrfanView +1 more

Thanks for this info... Cash wise probably the 3N will be the one I go for. I will let you know

Amamba
Amamba Senior Member • Posts: 1,935

It's a native E mount.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more

macca1980 wrote:

Made for NEX and m43. Make sure you get the right one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads