A drive to my Moms house (SX50)

Started May 19, 2014 | Discussions
evancj Veteran Member • Posts: 4,560
A drive to my Moms house (SX50)

I took a drive to my Moms house yesterday to do some yard work for her.

Of course me being me; I had to stop and take a few short walks and some photos on the way there and back.

Here are some photos of some of the things I saw along the way.

I stopped near the south end of the Great Salt Lake to get this shot of an old beach resort called Saltair. My mom live another 20 miles south in the valley between the 2 mountain ranges shown.

A couple of red heads in a pond near the lake.

A canyon near my moms house. My original plan was to dive up and over the canyon, into the Salt Lake valley but it was still closed for the winter.

A mule deer doe eating in an alfalfa field.

Some wildflowers.

Back in the Salt Lake valley. A couple of very pregnant pronghorn does on one of the ranches just outside of the city.

A pronghorn buck looking at the does.

I felt bad for this young buck. You can see the injuries on his neck, probably from a barbed wire fence like the one he is standing next to. He and the buck in the picture above were separated by the fence, and the young one wanted to join his friend on the other side but was not willing to cross the fence. I have several photos of the older buck trying to encourage his younger friend to join him on the other side.

A great Blue Heron hunting mice, or baby birds in the grass. I have a few shots of some red winged blackbirds dive bombing this heron when it approached their nest.

A pair of cinnamon teals and an American avocet on a small island in a pond.

A western king bird.

Thanks for looking.

evancj's gear list:evancj's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
MarioV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,765
Re: A drive to my Moms house (SX50)

Evan, it's great to see that you stopped to smell the roses. You captured some fabulous shots there.  I hope others learn from your example: don't get hung up on reaching your destination but enjoy the journey also.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100 Nikon D5200 Canon EOS M100 +1 more
OP evancj Veteran Member • Posts: 4,560

MarioV wrote:

Evan, it's great to see that you stopped to smell the roses. You captured some fabulous shots there. I hope others learn from your example: don't get hung up on reaching your destination but enjoy the journey also.

Thanks for looking Mario. "Stop and smell the roses" wise advice my friend.

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

Very very nice, you achieve a very smooth looking image without and apparent digital telltale signs, and yet sharp and clean and always consistant.

I know it is a good camera, but I think your skill has something to do with it. What is your processing method, is this all jpg or raw?  Can you reveal some of your secrets !

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,754

Love this nature series Evan..another treat! Thanks for posting.

Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 8,444

Excellent travel images from your beautiful area ! I've enjoyed them as usual of your shots!

Congratulations,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000

brianj wrote:

Very very nice, you achieve a very smooth looking image without and apparent digital telltale signs, and yet sharp and clean and always consistant.

I know it is a good camera, but I think your skill has something to do with it. What is your processing method, is this all jpg or raw? Can you reveal some of your secrets !

Brian

Hi Brian, Thank you for the nice complement, coming from a skilled photographer such as yourself it means a lot to me.

I shoot in RAW, and use FastStone for processing. I usually adjust the photos using the "Adjust Lighting" and then tweak the "shadow", and "contrast" settings, and then sharpen a bit if needed. Sometimes I will hit the "Auto-Adjust Colors" button to see what happens, sometime the "Auto-Adjust Colors" works great sometimes not so much.

Thanks for looking.

Sactojim wrote:

Love this nature series Evan..another treat! Thanks for posting.

Thanks Jim. Glad you enjoyed them.

Hope to see some more from you soon.

Augustin Man wrote:

Excellent travel images from your beautiful area ! I've enjoyed them as usual of your shots!

Congratulations,

Augustin

As always Augustin, thank you for all the encouragement you have given me.

Glad you liked them.

brianj Forum Pro • Posts: 14,657

evancj wrote:

brianj wrote:

I know it is a good camera, but I think your skill has something to do with it. What is your processing method, is this all jpg or raw? Can you reveal some of your secrets !

Brian

Hi Brian, Thank you for the nice complement, coming from a skilled photographer such as yourself it means a lot to me.

I shoot in RAW, and use FastStone for processing. I usually adjust the photos using the "Adjust Lighting" and then tweak the "shadow", and "contrast" settings, and then sharpen a bit if needed. Sometimes I will hit the "Auto-Adjust Colors" button to see what happens, sometime the "Auto-Adjust Colors" works great sometimes not so much.

Thanks for looking.

I do a similar process except from the jpg starting point, using PSP9.

One thing that has interested me is how to get no jaggies on bevel edges and corners during the reduce image step.  I have read a lot and tried a lot of algorithms but I still cannot get them perfect.  So I began to suspect that the pleasing appearance of your images apart from the good color and tone was due to not having jaggies, it creates a very smooth look.

Do you or others have any thoughts on this.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
Hollander Senior Member • Posts: 1,370

Wonderful series of pictures from you again Evan. I love the pronghorns and I hope that the young buck will get over the fence. From what I know they are capable of jumping over very high obstacles. The american avocet and cinnamon teals in one picture is awesome.

As always it is a pleasure looking at your pictures.

Cheers,

Rob.

-- hide signature --

To keep my brain active I'm looking forward to my next trip. So much to see yet and not enough time.
http://robvorderman.zenfolio.com/

Hollander's gear list:Hollander's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +3 more
dicklaxt Contributing Member • Posts: 608

A great resource right in your own backyard,such a diverse data base you have.

dick

peter_friend Contributing Member • Posts: 863

Very good serie.

Hollander wrote:

Wonderful series of pictures from you again Evan. I love the pronghorns and I hope that the young buck will get over the fence. From what I know they are capable of jumping over very high obstacles. The american avocet and cinnamon teals in one picture is awesome.

As always it is a pleasure looking at your pictures.

Cheers,

Rob.

As usual Rob thanks for taking the time to comment and look.

Funny thing about those pronghorns is they seem to prefer crawling under fences, that said I have also observed them jumping over very high fences when they are in a hurry.

Thanks again.

dicklaxt wrote:

A great resource right in your own backyard,such a diverse data base you have.

dick

Thanks for looking Dick. I agree, I feel very lucky to have access all this public land and to such photographic subject matter.

peter_friend wrote:

Very good serie.

Thank you Peter, glad you liked them.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads