Will Leica T Issues Identified by Reviewers be Fixed in Released Firmware?

Started May 16, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216
Re: Will Leica T Issues Identified by Reviewers be Fixed in Released Firmware?

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

Now I am compelled to try this toy. Something tells me that firmware or not, a camera this small cannot be ergonomically sound.

Was the Minox GT "ergonomically sound"? Was the Contax T "ergonomically sound"? Last time I looked, "ergonomic" was not a synonym for "big-ass".

J.

Wetzlarkid
Wetzlarkid Contributing Member • Posts: 614

Both the Minox and Contax though small are excellent
cameras in both ergonomics & results.
(I have owned them both) There is no reason to doubt
that the new Leica T will not only be a pleasure
to both hold and use, it will deliver the Leica
"Look" we all crave and desire...
If as a photographer/artist you cannot take that big step
forward, then watch with amazement..

Wetzlarkid's gear list:Wetzlarkid's gear list
Leica X1 Leica V-Lux 40 Leica V-Lux 4 Leica X Vario Nikon D90 +4 more
bosjohn21
bosjohn21 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,301

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

Now I am compelled to try this toy. Something tells me that firmware or not, a camera this small cannot be ergonomically sound.

just for comparison sake the leica lllC is 136mm in length and the T is 134 the Leica lllC is 65 mm high and the T is 69. I believe we can all agree the screw mt Leica was quite ergonomic and a good size. the T may or may not hold as comfortably but its hard to think of it as tiny.

Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 1,939

be nice ! > for Irakly

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica Q Canon EOS-1D Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +13 more
skeen Regular Member • Posts: 132

Took my Leica T in for a sensor cleaning, and I've been told a new version of the firmware will be out Monday (tomorrow), that they will load on for me. Will report back with any improvements

TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337

barjohn wrote:

Before people go off on some rampage, the purpose of this post is not to bash Leica but to try and learn, if possible, whether Leica is heeding these reviewers and taking any action. I have the camera on order and I suspect many others here do too and would probably like to know the same thing befor spending a significant sum of money. I know there are beta testers and as far as I can tell reviewers are still using pre-release software that is at something like REV 0.64 so presumably some of these things can and will be addressed. The question is will they? That is the $4,000 question. Perhaps Dr. Ulrich can enlighten us on this topic as he seems to have inside connections and information.

You have a pretty long history in dealing with Leica products and service. I would have thought by now you would let the dust settle and only order once you are satisfied that all issues you deem important are fixed. Otherwise, you are going to once again be disappointed it seems pretty clear, given the list of concerns above in your initial post that you won't be satisfied.

Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 5,696

I don't know about Minox, but Contax T I owned and used. The main difference is that Contax T had a viewfinder, while this camera does not. Shooting at slow speeds while holding the camera in midair isn't going to give you acceptable results. An external EVF defeats the purpose. I'd rather have a larger camera with a viewfinder built in.

Of course, in order to make a fashion statement, Leica T is an ideal choice. Photography, however, is not about fashion statements. It is about pictures, and it is not just my humble opinion

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha a99 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +8 more
Dr. Ulrich Rohde Senior Member • Posts: 1,939

Yes, as I said, version 1.1 it will be .

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica Q Canon EOS-1D Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +13 more
barjohn
OP barjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

TEBnewyork wrote:

barjohn wrote:

Before people go off on some rampage, the purpose of this post is not to bash Leica but to try and learn, if possible, whether Leica is heeding these reviewers and taking any action. I have the camera on order and I suspect many others here do too and would probably like to know the same thing befor spending a significant sum of money. I know there are beta testers and as far as I can tell reviewers are still using pre-release software that is at something like REV 0.64 so presumably some of these things can and will be addressed. The question is will they? That is the $4,000 question. Perhaps Dr. Ulrich can enlighten us on this topic as he seems to have inside connections and information.

You have a pretty long history in dealing with Leica products and service. I would have thought by now you would let the dust settle and only order once you are satisfied that all issues you deem important are fixed. Otherwise, you are going to once again be disappointed it seems pretty clear, given the list of concerns above in your initial post that you won't be satisfied.

Terry,

I'm the eternal optimist!  A simple example: The other day I was trying to get on a flight home after my flight from Baltimore to Orange County was cancelled at the last minute at 5AM.  I drove to Reagan National and at the ticket counter I asked, "How does it look for getting an upgrade to 1st class?" The agent replied, "You are an optimist aren't you?"  Of course, I didn't get the upgrade but I did get home only an hour later than my original flight and my limo service was able to accommodate my delay.  So my optimism did pay off.  I don't expect Leica to hit them all but if I get one or two, I think I will be satisfied.  If not, there is always the ability to sell or return and wait for the new X that will be coming.  

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,216

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

I don't know about Minox, but Contax T I owned and used. The main difference is that Contax T had a viewfinder, while this camera does not. Shooting at slow speeds while holding the camera in midair isn't going to give you acceptable results. An external EVF defeats the purpose. I'd rather have a larger camera with a viewfinder built in.

Yes, I like viewfinders too, but I fear that only identifies us as irrelevant to the current generation...

Of course, in order to make a fashion statement, Leica T is an ideal choice. Photography, however, is not about fashion statements. It is about pictures, and it is not just my humble opinion

If you own a Leica, can you lecture others about photography not being about fashion statements? Surely a Leica is what you wear round your neck when you collect the award you won for a photograph taken with your Nikon...

J.

Wetzlarkid

Whether you wait or whether you have ordered.
I'm sure Leica will Update the T. Those already shipping will have to wait till the proud new owners unbox etc..
At some point newer ex factory cameras will already be updated. I personally need a viewfinder, I find it awkward
composing and focusing without.. Someone will always complain about start up and writing speeds.
I look forward with great enthusiasm/excitement to
receiving my T, unpacking will be a great and memorable moment, a little like getting a new Purdy...
Having bought my M6, R6.2, X1, Dlux4 and 40
new, the unboxing it a most pleasurable experience..
Leica = Thinking - Photography..

Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

Anyone that says fashion wasn't at least partially a consideration in purchasing a leica is incapable of telling the whole truth.

TEBnewyork
TEBnewyork Forum Pro • Posts: 11,337

Toccata47 wrote:

Anyone that says fashion wasn't at least partially a consideration in purchasing a leica is incapable of telling the whole truth.

Anyone who wants to shoot a digital rangefinder is incapable of buying any other camera. So essentially that means anyone who shoots a rangefinder wants to be fashionable?

Wetzlarkid

Toccata47 wrote:

Anyone who wants to shoot a digital rangefinder is incapable of buying any other camera. So essentially that means anyone who shoots a rangefinder wants to be fashionable?

Out of Focus..

barjohn
OP barjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Skeen,

How is the new firmware?

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they put on the new firmware Will just have to wait - possibly until release date.

Apparently the new firmware is available to download now: http://uk.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=&subcategory=&type=&language=93871

Will report back when I've got time - at work now.

Irakly Shanidze
Irakly Shanidze Veteran Member • Posts: 5,696

Joe, you have no idea how wrong your statement is
I've been using Leica M for commercial assignments (advertising mostly) exclusively since 2007. Just recently I had to use Sony a7R (because Sony paid for it), and couldn't wait to go back to Leica M9 both in terms of ergonomics and image quality. Leica M9 pretty much made my medium format rig obsolete, as it gives me the same image quality in a much smaller package. I do not come to shoots with a roller suitcase anymore.

-- hide signature --

Irakly Shanidze
www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha a99 Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +8 more
AlanG
AlanG Senior Member • Posts: 1,551

First, you have to be able to turn off the image review. For decades a Leica selling point was that its optical viewfinder allowed you to continuously view the scene without any blackouts from a mirror. Minimizing the blackout and shot to shot time should have been the #1 item on the design list if this camera is actually supposed to have Leica "DNA."

Second, it needs the ability to have magnified manual focus anywhere on the screen in order to get the most out of those expensive lenses in exacting situations.

Third, their wifi situation is way behind what others are doing. This is completely in contradiction of their so called "minimalist" concept unless it works fairly transparently. There is no fast and easy way to trigger the camera using a phone. Why can't they offer a simple wired remote release that plugs in to the USB socket?

Fourth through 101 - you are on your own to add to the list. However, the lack of hardware components such as PDAF on sensor, processor, and faster frame to frame rates will also be a limitation in what can be added to improve speed, features, and overall responsiveness. Maybe some future model will have IBIS and a built in EVF.

In reading David Pogue's comparison with Sony's A6000 it is quite clear to me that Leica emphasizes bling and the slick interface rather than performance and convenience. This is Leica's first attempt at such a camera whereas how many Nex models have preceded the A6000? And how much more has Sony spent on R&D and software development?

So maybe in 3-5 years or so Leica will catch up to what Sony is currently offering performance wise. I doubt if Sony will polish any camera housing for 45 minutes or make such a special neck strap. So Leica may always be ahead there.

Remember, you really have to buy into the marketing concept that "Less is More" to appreciate this camera. I think that is simply a sales gimmick to try to justify what the camera can't do. But you CANNOT complain about lack of features or functionality because many were intentionally left out as part of the actual concept.

It seems to me that one has to really love something ethereal about this camera to spend $4200 for the body, EVF and lens. Since nothing of substance that I can see in it justifies that price. But then $4200 is a lot of money for me to spend on a camera whereas that is chump change to others.

-- hide signature --

Alan Goldstein
www.goldsteinphoto.com
Galleries:
http://www.photoshelter.com/usr-show/U0000PjmCIXEp.NI

AlanG's gear list:AlanG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L USM +16 more
Toccata47 Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

TEBnewyork wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

In part, yes.

There are many reasons, I'm sure, the RD line didn't continue some of which may in part coincide with why fuji based the x-series around an M3. A stretch? Perhaps. The point is the beauty of leica designs are part of the appeal, more so now than in the past when rangefinders also had practical advantages over slr's, etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads