Panasonic GM1 or RX100 mark ii

Started May 14, 2014 | Discussions
FujLiver
FujLiver Regular Member • Posts: 463
Panasonic GM1 or RX100 mark ii

Deciding between these two cameras. I want something pocket sized and silent (i.e. electronic shutter) with some zoom range

Interchangeable lenses is nice but not a decider. I am more interested in IQ.

So far I see that the GM1 has a 0.5 stop noise advantage and the RX100 has a 0.7 stop dynamic range advantage.

Obviously lens quality is key. I am a big fan fo Sony/Zeiss lenses, but also Panasonic makes some pretty good Panny/Leica lenses. However I don't think the kit lens is a Leica design.

Just wondered what you guys think and also if anyone has used both and can comment

many thanks

FujLiver's gear list:FujLiver's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Samyang AF 50mm F1.4 FE +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Menneisyys Senior Member • Posts: 1,437
Re: Panasonic GM1 or RX100 mark ii

FujLiver wrote:

Deciding between these two cameras. I want something pocket sized and silent (i.e. electronic shutter) with some zoom range

So far I see that the GM1 has a 0.5 stop noise advantage and the RX100 has a 0.7 stop dynamic range advantage.

Obviously lens quality is key. I am a big fan fo Sony/Zeiss lenses, but also Panasonic makes some pretty good Panny/Leica lenses. However I don't think the kit lens is a Leica design.

Just wondered what you guys think and also if anyone has used both and can comment

many thanks

Why not wait for the RX100 MkIII announcement & lens quality & OIS reports?

I'm in the same boat as you BTW - either the GM1 or the RX100 MkIII. I wouldn't get the RX100 MkII because of the cr@ppy OIS and the, sharpness-wise, not splendid and not very wide lens. In all these areas, the GM1 with its 12-32 kit lens easily beats the RX100 MkII.

IMHO, as long as you absolutely don't need as good low-light performance as possible (possible via non-kit lens for the GM1), either wait for the RX100 MkIII or, if you need a camera now, go for the GM1.

jules153
jules153 Forum Member • Posts: 90

If you can fit the Panasonic in your pocket then it's an easy choice...

-- hide signature --

Jules.

jules153's gear list:jules153's gear list
Sony RX100
FujLiver
OP FujLiver Regular Member • Posts: 463

Menneisyys wrote:

FujLiver wrote:

many thanks

Why not wait for the RX100 MkIII announcement & lens quality & OIS reports?

I'm in the same boat as you BTW - either the GM1 or the RX100 MkIII. I wouldn't get the RX100 MkII because of the cr@ppy OIS and the, sharpness-wise, not splendid and not very wide lens. In all these areas, the GM1 with its 12-32 kit lens easily beats the RX100 MkII.

IMHO, as long as you absolutely don't need as good low-light performance as possible (possible via non-kit lens for the GM1), either wait for the RX100 MkIII or, if you need a camera now, go for the GM1.

thanks

I don't know much about the iii, will look up

FujLiver

jules153 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jules.

I actually like the idea of a non-extending lens as its more subtle sometimes

Let me check my pocket

bjones521 Junior Member • Posts: 47
Panasonic GM1 or RX100 mark ii and a5000

Ive rented the GM1 AND the RX100 from camera rental and I purchased the a5000. The gm1 and a5000 are all about the same size and image quality is comparable. The A5000 has a shallower depth of field. FYI.

If you want a pocket camera get the rx100, but if you just want a smaller dslr'esq camera get the a5000 for 449 or the gm1. because neither of those can fit in my pants pocket.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,308

FujLiver wrote:

jules153 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jules.

I actually like the idea of a non-extending lens as its more subtle sometimes

Let me check my pocket

The panny 12-32 extends when unlocked

FujLiver

many thanks all

I have gone for the GM1 as I actually bought one cheaper then a RX100 ii and it seems to have more possibilities

I also liked the manual zoom. Better for speed of operation and also subtlety in certain environments.

I did like the RX100 very much and thought it would be good for a person who doesn't need replaceable lenses or is not going to push the ISO at all. (the difference in sensor size only seems to start to be apparent at A4 or less at ISO 1600).

I am a big Sony fan, and the GM1 is essentially a small silent option to complement my A7 kit

best rgds

ALMUSAFER Regular Member • Posts: 328

Congratulations for the GM1 ,

Two things to mention: 1- the kit lens 12-32mm is very good 2-IQ on GM1 is better than RX100.

mpix345 Contributing Member • Posts: 742

I don't think the GM1 makes a lick of sense if you plan to just shoot with the kit lens.  But if you are going to use it with various lenses then it makes plenty of sense.

Whatever IQ differences allegedly exist with the GM1+12-32 are trumped (for me, at least) by the pocketability of the RX100.

mpix345's gear list:mpix345's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Exactly

mpix345 wrote:

I don't think the GM1 makes a lick of sense if you plan to just shoot with the kit lens. But if you are going to use it with various lenses then it makes plenty of sense.

Whatever IQ differences allegedly exist with the GM1+12-32 are trumped (for me, at least) by the pocketability of the RX100.

GM1 over RX100II (much less RX100 III) makes no sense at all. But, I guess it is too late, as the OP has already made the decision or gotten the GM1.

It has worse pocketability (thicker with kit zoom lens), and the lens itself is slower now even more so when compared to RX100 III. In fact, the miniscule 1/3-1/2 stop advantage GM1 might have in low light (but lower DR than RX100) is handily lost with a lens 24-64mm equiv lens that is 3.5-5.6 (compared to 24-70 equiv 1.8-2.8 for RX100, a difference of nearly 2 stops at wide end, and 2 stops at the tele).

Size Comparison: Panasonic GM1 w/kit lens vs Sony RX100II

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
mjdundee Contributing Member • Posts: 804
Re: Exactly

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

mpix345 wrote:

I don't think the GM1 makes a lick of sense if you plan to just shoot with the kit lens. But if you are going to use it with various lenses then it makes plenty of sense.

GM1 over RX100II (much less RX100 III) makes no sense at all. But, I guess it is too late, as the OP has already made the decision or gotten the GM1.

It has worse pocketability (thicker with kit zoom lens), and the lens itself is slower now even more so when compared to RX100 III. In fact, the miniscule 1/3-1/2 stop advantage GM1 might have in low light (but lower DR than RX100) is handily lost with a lens 24-64mm equiv lens that is 3.5-5.6 (compared to 24-70 equiv 1.8-2.8 for RX100, a difference of nearly 2 stops at wide end, and 2 stops at the tele).

Size Comparison: Panasonic GM1 w/kit lens vs Sony RX100II

Who will actually carry a 800+ bugs camera unprotected in his pocket? It looks strange and it is heavy. Sooner or later you will discover sensor spots because dust has moved from your pocket into the camera and this will ruin each and every picture you take without any chance to get rid of.

Presumed that you use a seperate pouch or bag anyway the GM 1 makes much more sense to me and it is still pocketable. The kit lens is fantastic and it also allows to use filters - and most important - you can remove or replace it at any time including the possibility to remove sensor dust.

mjdundee's gear list:mjdundee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads