* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #316 14 05 14 *

Started May 14, 2014 | Photos
Scott Whittemore
Scott Whittemore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,519
Re: Bridge with natural highlighting

I like the seeming incongruity of the lighting on the bridge and I like the green band of water but I think there's a bit too much of it. If this were mine, I think I'd crop off about a third of the green band at the bottom and, from the left, maybe about half the trees. Then I'd look for a way to bring more definition to the clouds in the sky. I might try a graduated filter with some clarity or contrast and maybe a white balance/tint adjustment (just within the filter, so just in the sky). Then, with the better defined clouds, I'd judge whether some of the sky could be cropped.

I think the image definitely has potential.

-- hide signature --
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 26,038
Much better

LouHolland wrote:

Well seen Monty, here a corrected and also different rendered final version to create some separation between the several layers of this image. The ferry is untouched in this rendering.

Thanks for your comments Monty

Lou

-

New and Final

IJveer 54, This ferry looks it resembling a flying turtle

best seen enlarged

Old, dull and ready for the recycle bin

best seen enlarged

savonie wrote:

My kind of picture - I enjoy boats of all kinds - However is a bit tilted to the right?

Monty

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Scott Whittemore
Re: Swim...

Really nice abstract. I find the diagonal, wavy, motion-blurred fish shadows/silhouettes very relaxing to look at. I think I'd try to eliminate or soften the bright spot toward the upper right-hand corner.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Re: Turtle Ferry..

I'm curious about what lens you used for this shot, as I can see distinct vignetting, particularly in the upper corners (or did you add vignetting in post?).

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Re: Port Stanley Terminal Rail - Donald

The colors catch my eye too. Very distinctive. A beautiful machine, well captured.

-- hide signature --
MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 2,068
Going to Vernazza

On a beautifully sunny afternoon we visited Cinque Terre on the coast of Italy.  This shot, from the Monterosso esplanade of the next town down the coast, seemed to capture the warmth of the scene.  It was my first use of the 50-200 + EC14 on this camera.

Shot from Monterosso, about 3 km away.

This was handheld using the ZD 50-200 SWD + EC14 on the EM1. I'm loving this camera!

-- hide signature --

-Mike
You can observe a lot by looking - Yogi Berra
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,244
Re: Shohada Museum (Tehran)

RoelHendrickx wrote:

A modern office building in central Tehran (Iran) houses a museum (not much advertized in travel guides and definitely less popular than the National Jewelry Museum and others), dedicated to the memory of the casualties ("Martyrs" or "shohada") of the Iran-Iraq War.

A soldier keeps guard. Large paintings depict scenes of sacrifice and suffering. Glass cases contain the memorabilia of a number of individual soldiers, lost in the war. And in the small office of the museum, just on the day when we visited, the ceiling is being adorned with dog tags.

This image is not about (geo)politics, but about people, both lost and present.

Any day of the year, conflicts rage across the globe. Lives are lost. Remembrance is a need.

12-40 lens on E-M5

As if the IDs of the Departing Souls got snagged on the way Up/Out.

Apparent thoughtful reverence of the assisting woman suggests curators' awareness of historical context of relics is different -- deeper -- than that of a casual museum visitor, who may approach exhibits more superficially, i.e., as a succession of curiosities.

Identical presentation and style of portraits is interesting.

-- hide signature --

Zin

MikePDX

I had an immediate and interesting reaction to this photo.  I got a strong sense that it depicts global warming and the rising sea level.  I doubt that's what you were after, but it is fascinating how we all interpret images differently.

I think I'm with Zin on this one.  I like all that symmetry, so I wouldn't change the crop.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikePDX
Re: 32 Buick reprise

I flashed to Elliot Ness riding the running board, tommy gun in hand, chasing Al Capone and his gang!

Fine shot and processing, but the tree growing out of the roof seems just a bit too prominent - maybe you could darken it.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikePDX

I agree with the other commenters.  I like this a lot.  I think it might also look great as an "Andy Warhol set" of four versions in different monocromatic colors.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

Scott Whittemore
Re: Going to Vernazza

Wow! What a place! The telephoto's perspective compression makes it look like it's really pressed against the hillside. A great shot.

-- hide signature --
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,447
Re: Shohada Museum (Tehran)

I like the idea of the image and the moment captured. For me (I know you like a slanted outlook) I would correct the vertical distortion with the man leaning into the image and the left wall likewise and level the top of the frames. Then, a small crop off the top to eliminate some empty space.

Andrew

Like this, but perhaps more to the sides if the original was cropped.  You could go a step further and do a horizontal distortion correction as well but the image composition changes quite a bit then.

Scott Whittemore
Ice Leaves Impressions

E-500, ZD 14-54. This is a shot from a few years back when I lived in New England. I miss the ice but I don't miss the 6-month duration of it.

Apologies to Zinfandel for my earlier mis-post (as a reply to his "Road Show" post) and the loss of his comment, in which he said the upper left portion evoked a cat for him and he might crop out all but that. (Feel free to correct/clarify, Zin. )

Ice Leaves Impressions (E-500, ZD 14-54)

-- hide signature --
19andrew47

While it may not make for the best composition, following the 'rules', I would crop about half the bottom green layer of water off and a crop from the left of about 1/3 of the left hand trees.  An interesting image from the standpoint of what is happening here with the atmospheric distortion around the bridge area and the colour changes in the water.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Road show

A well composed image of an everyday life experience.  The shopper with his bag in the shelter, the EMS vehicle, the empty roadways, the mist all add to the image.  Well seen.

Andrew

19andrew47

Well I have no idea if there is anything swimming there or they are just shadow.  Doesn't matter either way.  The image is nicely composed with a diagonal line of 'swimmers' exiting the top right corner and entering from the bottom left.  Thought provoking.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Anyone Home?

I have never used an art filter in camera.  If you shoot RAW you can always apply the art filter in post in Olympus Viewer.  Then you can try them all, play with the results, or go back to the RAW and work with it.  Just a thought!  I think the monochrome version would look better processed from the RAW file than as converted here.  I don't like the colours as produced by the Art Filter.  This is entirely personal.  I played with the colour file to see it I could get something with a more 'earthy' tone that would appeal to me more.  It may not appeal to you.

Andrew

Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,244
Re: Ice Leaves Impressions

Scott Whittemore wrote:

E-500, ZD 14-54. This is a shot from a few years back when I lived in New England. I miss the ice but I don't miss the 6-month duration of it.

Apologies to Zinfandel for my earlier mis-post (as a reply to his "Road Show" post) and the loss of his comment, in which he said the upper left portion evoked a cat for him and he might crop out all but that. (Feel free to correct/clarify, Zin. )

The location of your ice post amidst my mist post was absolutely not a problem for me; it raised the overall artistic tone of my post considerably. I do admire your talent for getting things moved. In a few years we'll be moving our piano to a daughter's place. I'll call you.

The gist of my lost tongue-in-cheek (or maybe just cheeky) comment was that the upper left quadrant of your image resembles a young cat intently watching a bug, the cat seen from above and behind. I would be inclined to crop away everything but the cat, notwithstanding its tail is rather uncatlike -- too rigid.

Ice Leaves Impressions (E-500, ZD 14-54)

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Zin

19andrew47
Re: Kinderdijk through the gates

The snaky patches add to the charm of the image.  I wouldn't change it.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: Road show second look

I did try the crop so that the yellow stripe leaves the bottom right corner and the other the left corner.  I think I prefer it to the original.  That said I am struck by the perfectness of the exposure.  It could not have been better.

Andrew

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads