* Wed C&C No Theme Thread #316 14 05 14 *

Started May 14, 2014 | Photos
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 25,861
Re: Kinderdijk through the gates

minniev wrote:

Of course I have to share a windmill...

I started to try to mitigate that snaky line down the path but left it alone. You'll tell me what I should do with it, I'm sure.

I find it a funny addition to a shot that would otherwise be a bit of a cliché (it doesn't get more Dutch-archetypical-scenery than Kinderdijk...)

What that shaky line reminds me of, is a Dutch farmer driving home on his high and rigid black bicycle (with back-pedal brake and straight frame), after a cosy afternoon after church.  But the Old Bols (matured grain jenever) has flowed with abundance and consequently, the tracks of his bike path are a bit less straight than they normally would be.

In other words : that shaky paths adds a possibility for imagination and narrative.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Re: Road show

Zindanfel wrote:

As usual, Original offers best view.

-- hide signature --

Zin

I love how misty circumstances can create a monotone feeling to an image that is in reality a colour image.  Add to that the sideshow attraction of a passing ambulance that brings literal colour to a dreary scene : the anonymous shelter-dwellers look on with interest.

The view is nicely framed by the grabbing arm of the lamppost on the right, and the succession of shelters and lampposts on the left.

With my eyes half closed I imagined a 16:9 crop (even more cinematic) that slices the bottom part and makes the yellow line of the road end up in the bottom right corner.  But I am afraid that such a crop would be quite too close to the bottom of the shelter, creating a cramped feeling.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
my Olympus user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
Re: Anyone Home?

I find the black and white not bad but not really anything special either.

The desaturated look with heavy black accents (probably Dramatic Tone?) works well for this subject.  There is a small category of images on which that art filter works really well.  It is beyond horrible for any image with people in it.

There is (on my E-M5 and probably also on more recent cameras) a B&W incarnation of the Dramatic Tone and that I do like a lot, but again mostly for images without people.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,111
Re: Bridge with natural highlighting

O.K. I did my best to interpret the suggestions of (1st photo) and RoelHendrickx ((2nd photo). Let me know if these improve things and if they make them good.

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
RoelHendrickx

You did precisely what I tried to suggest, but looking at it now, I am pleased with how the layers relate, but not so pleased with the small amount of foliage that remains on the left side.  It feels like something that should be bigger or removed entirely.

Difficult one.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,137

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Messing around with the art filters on my camera over the weekend and I came across this rundown shed. Not sure if the pics are any good and if so, which version is more appealing. Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks for looking.

Liz

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

Disrepair / imminent collapse is an apt theme, and #2 better supports that because the details of neglect are more visible than in the B&W. For examples, rust stains are more prominent, details of the failing foundation are better seen, and the askew side panel stands out more. Also, in #2 the wrecked boat seems more of a companion to the building than in #1, where it's sorta lost to my eye. Added visibility of the derelict boat is a useful exclamation point to the theme.

Because deterioration on the right side of the building appears to be more dramatic than the left side, it might be worthwhile to shoot from a spot further right, so as to at least even-up visibility of both sides -- maybe even slightly favor the right side. Elevating the shooting position is another option. A higher perspective could mitigate the "falling away" look.  And/or maybe shoot from further back (if possible), with more tele?

Without seeing the original color photo, I'd still say that added color emphasis is unnecessary. Most viewers should "get it" without the push.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Re: Kinderdijk through the gates

minniev wrote:

Of course I have to share a windmill...

I started to try to mitigate that snaky line down the path but left it alone. You'll tell me what I should do with it, I'm sure.

Accept it.

Months -- maybe years -- in future your photo will irresistibly come to mind when folks who viewed it, again see bucolic windmill scenes. They'll look for snaky-line paths in similar pictures and wonder. No harm done; wonder is good.

The snaky line somehow fits, probably because it's near-same color as the wood gate. This color match helps a viewer's eye move effortlessly between gate and line, facilitating the open gate's function of inviting viewers into the scene. Rich rewards are banks of flowers and golden stands of grass (grain?).

-- hide signature --

Zin

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,188
Turtle Ferry..

Turtle Ferry on the IJ Amsterdam. The IJ is the name of the water.

Thanks for looking & comments

Lou

best seen enlarged

RoelHendrickx
Re: Swim...

stephent wrote:

Hi everyone this one from a walk yesterday.

Regards.

Stephen.

I don't even care what kind of fish these are, where they swim, and which of them are shadows while others are real (and maybe some are not fish, but wavy patterns on a sandy river bottom).

I really don't care.

I like this image for its abstract values : a sense of continued motion and continuity, in a very gentl and tranquil manner.  Very elegant and almost relaxing.

I suppose this image ironed a few of my thought wrinkles out of my forehead (I feel I have them today).  That is a good thing and I thank you for it very much.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

LouHolland
Re: 32 Buick reprise

Very good and nice Andrew, but if you like to balance your shot you've to take out that building behind that lovely car and maybe the tree after that but I'm not sure about that. You only can decide that when you see it after remove that building.

Lou

19andrew47 wrote:

The image below was taken at the same event and is of the same car as in the 300th edition image, link below.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52955943

Andrew

12 - 50 mm

Zindanfel

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

O.K. I did my best to interpret the suggestions of (1st photo) and RoelHendrickx ((2nd photo). Let me know if these improve things and if they make them good.

Maybe it's not a great, grab-you-by-your-lapels picture, but I think the two-axis symmetry is interesting, and also that the depth-effect of front-to-back layers is appealing in this mail-slot presentation.

-- hide signature --

Zin

RoelHendrickx
Re: Turtle Ferry..

Funny how you inscribed your own name onto the hull of the ferry.

Other than that, I don't have many specific comments because the image does not really excite me.  The vessel itself would be more interesting to look at on a clear expanse of water and with less clutter in the background.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

Ravenwing Photo
Ravenwing Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 663

NewGirlLiz wrote:

Messing around with the art filters on my camera over the weekend and I came across this rundown shed. Not sure if the pics are any good and if so, which version is more appealing. Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks for looking.

Liz

-- hide signature --

“You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you.” Barbara Sher

I'm a big fan of decay, so you've hooked me right off the bat. Though normally I tend to favor b/w for these types of shots, I think the color version does a better job of highlighting the extent of the dilapidation here. What I think would be interesting is a square crop, losing the front of the building, and some sky. It would really highlight the relationship between the building and the boat (and the boat is an important element here).  Maybe something along the lines of this (also desaturated a bit and played with the colors/levels some).  Up-sized after cropping, so lost some detail/quality.

-- hide signature --

Nate
"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Ravenwing Photo's gear list:Ravenwing Photo's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 +6 more
savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,331

My kind of picture - I enjoy boats of all kinds - However is a bit tilted to the right?

Monty

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
savonie
Re: Shohada Museum (Tehran)

You have added some pretty good photos but I just don't get this one- What are you trying to show - The man on the right seems to distract from the possible beauty of the lights or the stoic old woman-

Monty

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
savonie
Port Stanley Terminal Rail - Donald

PSTR is a local tourist train operation - They have a variety of equipment including this old switcher - The colors caught my eye-

Monty

PSTR switcher "Donald"

Zindanfel

LouHolland wrote:

Turtle Ferry on the IJ Amsterdam. The IJ is the name of the water.

Thanks for looking & comments

Lou

best seen enlarged

It's unfortunate that the ferry's wheelhouse lies against a busy city background, but the moored boats do enhance a waterfront atmosphere. De-coloring the yellow trucks could eliminate a distraction.

The boat design is attractive. From the look of the dual wheelhouse it appears to be a double-ended boat (capable of equal movement in either direction).

We have only a couple of foot-passenger-only ferries here, rather old and not nearly so sleek as this.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Scott Whittemore
Scott Whittemore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,379
Re: Road show

I really like the light in this and the composition seems perfect to me, with the ambulance in just the right position and everything else seeming to point or attend to it. Assuming the ambulance is moving pretty fast, you did a good job timing the shutter release to position the ambulance so nicely.

Great shot.

-- hide signature --
Scott Whittemore
Scott Whittemore Veteran Member • Posts: 4,379
Re: 32 Buick reprise

Beautiful image. The viewpoint is excellent and the treatment really accentuates the luster of the finish. The top edge of the left headlight gets lost against the black background but that's a very minor thing. It's a really well crafted image and an excellent job on the processing.

-- hide signature --
LouHolland
Monty, Roel and Zin, New Corrected and Final Version..

Well seen Monty, here a corrected and also different rendered final version to create some separation between the several layers of this image. The ferry is untouched in this rendering.

Thanks for your comments Monty

Lou

-

New and Final

IJveer 54, This ferry looks it resembling a flying turtle

best seen enlarged

Old, dull and ready for the recycle bin

best seen enlarged

savonie wrote:

My kind of picture - I enjoy boats of all kinds - However is a bit tilted to the right?

Monty

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads