Any hidden improvement after D800 FW update?

Started May 13, 2014 | Discussions
Photo Pete Veteran Member • Posts: 3,996
Re: Any hidden improvement after D800 FW update?

I'd like to know if anyone noticed some improvement that has not been listed in the Nikon announcement.

In particular if live view has been in some way improved..AF speed in live view mode is the same?

Quality of the zoom-in whyle manual focusing in live view has improved?

I also have to ceck other bugs like focusing fast lenses with the af-assist light from the hot-shoe mounted flash but can't access my camera till next week so any information is very wellcome.

Thx to everyone!

Has Nikon ever introduced hidden features in a firmware update? Surely it would put them in a legally awkward situation if they did and the updating user didn't actually want the change.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

OP Simone S Regular Member • Posts: 390

Yes They just called me today and they told me they will update the firmware in both cameras!

Simone S's gear list:Simone S's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D810 Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
ormdig
ormdig Senior Member • Posts: 2,051

Photo Pete wrote:

Has Nikon ever introduced hidden features in a firmware update? Surely it would put them in a legally awkward situation if they did and the updating user didn't actually want the change.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Hi Pete, they might not be technically "hidden" but to someone like myself, who sometimes can't see the forest for the trees, they aren't always obvious. For example, the post by xtm on using the rec button to set ISO, I read the Nikon page on changes but missed the significance of this so I am glad to see a post like this.

Some cool images in your gallery by the way,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +7 more

Photo Pete wrote:

--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Hi Pete, they might not be technically "hidden" but to someone like myself, who sometimes can't see the forest for the trees, they aren't always obvious. For example, the post by xtm on using the rec button to set ISO, I read the Nikon page on changes but missed the significance of this so I am glad to see a post like this.

Some cool images in your gallery by the way,

-- hide signature --

Pete

Ah. I misunderstood. The query was whether there are any less obvious advantages of the changes they've made rather than if there are any changes they've made without announcing them.

I'll be upgrading over the next couple of days and am also keen to discover how the changes can be best used.

Very pleased to have trap focus back.

Nikon have been a bit slow on the firmware update but it's welcome. Now if they could only solve the AF assist focus issue and the slight shift in AF fine tune with different light colour temperature!
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,857
Re: Yes, absolutely!

bgbs wrote:

I know you're trying to be funny, but it's a thumbs-down fail.

Made me laugh, so I'll give it a thumbs-up success!

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
abcdefghijklmnop Senior Member • Posts: 1,098

Photo Pete wrote:

--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Yes.

It is apparent you have not read the mandated user agreement.

abcdefghijklmnop's gear list:abcdefghijklmnop's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
Svetoslav Popov Forum Member • Posts: 75

When *i* feel the need to troll here, i take a deep breath and do it just in my head, without annoying other people. Try it, really works!

Photo Pete wrote:

--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

Yes.

It is apparent you have not read the mandated user agreement.

abcdefghijklmnop

You are only giving us half the story here

-- hide signature --

Have Fun
Photo Pete

Simon Garrett Veteran Member • Posts: 5,857

Svetoslav Popov wrote:

When *i* feel the need to troll here, i take a deep breath and do it just in my head, without annoying other people. Try it, really works!

I agree, but I think there's a difference between trolling and light humour. I read Ralf Ronander's post at the latter.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Event_shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
White Balance

I upgraded the firmware and took my standard in house shot of the kitchen ( ( at least it's not a cat ) and it seems much more true to color in a low light room. Previous I would get heavy yellow saturation, not now with upgrade.

PatrickP Contributing Member • Posts: 716
Re: White Balance

Event_shooter wrote:

I upgraded the firmware and took my standard in house shot of the kitchen ( ( at least it's not a cat ) and it seems much more true to color in a low light room. Previous I would get heavy yellow saturation, not now with upgrade.

Well same here. I think in general my D800E has gotten a bit more responsive (speed optimization?) and the color look a little nicer (esp in Auto WB in indoor situations) than it used to. It could well be the AWB improvement from D610/Df going into this D800/E firmware upgrade.

There is likely a lot of improvement that went into this firmware upgrade that went undocumented.  I can smell a D800S (or called D810) around the corner very soon.

-- hide signature --

D800E, 16-35/4 VR, 24-70/2.8, 70-200 VR2, AF-S 80-400VR, 50/1.8G, 85/1.8G.

PatrickP's gear list:PatrickP's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
Re: White Balance

Great!

Sony Alpha a7R Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D810 Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Bunza Contributing Member • Posts: 528

Nikon17 wrote:

• bocajrs wrote:

Simone S wrote:

Why don't you read my post again?

Yes I read your post - What's the point if you even don't have access to your camera. Update your firmware when your have your camera and find out for yourself.

Gee!!!
Typical Riquelme behavior

SNIP from Wikipedia:

Riquelme may refer to:

Bunza's gear list:Bunza's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,906
Could you explain

PatrickP wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Well same here. I think in general my D800E has gotten a bit more responsive (speed optimization?)

Could you explain what you're finding??  What is "speed optimization"?

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,227
I see it. Don't you?

I suspect they applied a placebo shiftto all settings.  

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Nikon D800 Pentax K20D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,618
d800s

PatrickP wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Well same here. I think in general my D800E has gotten a bit more responsive (speed optimization?) and the color look a little nicer (esp in Auto WB in indoor situations) than it used to. It could well be the AWB improvement from D610/Df going into this D800/E firmware upgrade.

There is likely a lot of improvement that went into this firmware upgrade that went undocumented. I can smell a D800S (or called D810) around the corner very soon.

-- hide signature --

Strange but when looking at battery packs for a D800 on eBay many are listed as for the D800s also, what do they know that we don't. try it yourself Ha Ha

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
PatrickP Contributing Member • Posts: 716
Re: Could you explain

T O Shooter wrote:

PatrickP wrote:

Event_shooter wrote:

Well same here. I think in general my D800E has gotten a bit more responsive (speed optimization?)

Could you explain what you're finding?? What is "speed optimization"?

The camera does seem to be a tad more responsive with controls, browsing, etc. I think they might have optimized the firmware a bit for better performance. The bug where they need to write to the card for an extended period of time is a good example of how buggy/inefficient the original firmware was.

As for autoWB, I have set of LED flood lights at home that I used to set WB to 5000K to match the exact color temperature the LED light emits. Just today I found AutoWB actually gave me better skin tone than the 5000K setting would have given me. That was definitely not the case prior to the firmware update.

-- hide signature --

PatrickP's gear list:PatrickP's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +8 more
Re: Could you explain

That's a good news!

Re: I see it. Don't you?

vincent__l Regular Member • Posts: 336

Thanks for the heads up on changing ISO with the record button. This is incredibly useful as I mostly use manual exposure with one dial to change aperture and the other dial to change shutter speed. Now I can also change ISO as well all with my right hand. Interesting how such a simple change can improve usability so much.

xtm wrote:

It's always good to ask because some people are more detail-oriented than others when it comes to hidden features and they tend to discover these stuff. The nicest feature so far is the ability to change ISO with the REC button, but other than that, everything else feels the same to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads