AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G with Nikon D3000: about auto focus

Started May 12, 2014 | Questions
Razib Ali New Member • Posts: 1
AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G with Nikon D3000: about auto focus

Hello Everybody!

I am new in this forum site. I was wondering for some idea and got this site from googling. However, let me describe my queries:

I am using my Nikon 3000 camera  with the lens that I bought (JAA776DC - AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G).

I have some queries about this combination. As per the original website, it has got Auto Focus facility and Its name also means something like that as the name starts with AF! However, I could not find auto focus with it!

Now I have following queries to the forum:

1. Is there any teleconverter lens with Auto Focus which is compatible with Nikon D3000 and JAA776DC - AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G? If yes, what is the price and give me a link to see the specification. The aim is to obtain Auto Focus meaning that, the combination will provide me Auto Focusing.

2. Is there any mode or function in D3000 which enables me to identify my focal point? I am not asking for Auto focus in this point. I am just asking whether there is any option or function in Nikon D3000 by using which I can get the identification of my current focus. That is, I am manually focusing; if any of the 11 focus point gets perfect focus, that point glows or gets indentified (as 3D tracking mode which I got in using lens having focusing motor).

3. I am wondering for some Macro Lens for shooting small object really close up. I am suggested to use Tamron brand with my Nikon 3000. Can I get any suggestion with a macro lens of Tamron in lowest price?

Thanks in advance. discussion from anyone is highly appreciated.

Regards.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
starman1969
starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,109
Re: AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G with Nikon D3000: about auto focus

Razib Ali wrote:

Hello Everybody!

I am new in this forum site. I was wondering for some idea and got this site from googling. However, let me describe my queries:

I am using my Nikon 3000 camera with the lens that I bought (JAA776DC - AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G).

I have some queries about this combination. As per the original website, it has got Auto Focus facility and Its name also means something like that as the name starts with AF! However, I could not find auto focus with it!

1. Is there any teleconverter lens with Auto Focus which is compatible with Nikon D3000 and JAA776DC - AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G? If yes, what is the price and give me a link to see the specification. The aim is to obtain Auto Focus meaning that, the combination will provide me Auto Focusing.

2. Is there any mode or function in D3000 which enables me to identify my focal point? I am not asking for Auto focus in this point. I am just asking whether there is any option or function in Nikon D3000 by using which I can get the identification of my current focus. That is, I am manually focusing; if any of the 11 focus point gets perfect focus, that point glows or gets indentified (as 3D tracking mode which I got in using lens having focusing motor).

3. I am wondering for some Macro Lens for shooting small object really close up. I am suggested to use Tamron brand with my Nikon 3000. Can I get any suggestion with a macro lens of Tamron in lowest price?

Regards.

I can answer question 1. The AF 70-300mm will not focus with the 3000 and 5000 series bodies. You should get the 75-300mm AF-S VR instead, or get a D7000.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EOS 1000D Nikon D4 +5 more
bflood Senior Member • Posts: 1,614

Razib Ali wrote:

Hello Everybody!

I am using my Nikon 3000 camera with the lens that I bought (JAA776DC - AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G).

Regards.

starman is right - it won't autofocus with a D3000.

If you look at the back end of the lens, you'll see what looks like a small bright metal screw - it's unlike the black Phillips head screws holding the lens together. That bright screw is the drive for the autofocus, and it would fit onto a drive screw on the camera body if the D3000 had such a drive screw, but it doesn't. In order for that lens to autofocus, the camera body must have a drive motor in it, as the lens does not have its own motor. Each AF-S lens has its own motor.

The Nikon D3000 series (thru 3300) and D5000 series (thru D5300) omit the drive motor, and as a result, those camera bodies are smaller and lighter than those with the motor. The D200/300, D70/80/90, the newer D7000 and 7100, and all FX format bodies have the drive motor.

The 70-300G isn't that great a lens (at least mine isn't), so I'd replace the lens rather than look for a different camera body. If the 70-300 focal length suits you and what you want to shoot, the Nikon 70-300 AF-S lens is really good. I've read good things about the latest Tamron 70-300 with vibration control, and it's probably worth doing a bit of internet research on it as it should save you a couple of hundred dollars on the purchase price (new).

bflood's gear list:bflood's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +3 more
GlennW Senior Member • Posts: 2,193

1) a AF lens will not auto focus on a D3x00 or D5x00 body. You could replace the lens with an AF-S model or replace the camera body with D90-D7000-D7100/

2) In single focus not sure if you have a center focus point on the screen? Some cameas let you move the focus point to one of the others (depending on how many you have). You may get a green dot in a corner of the screen when in focus. I suspect you get more focus points in D5x00 or D7x00 body.

3) For DX cheapest macro is nikon AF=S 40 2.8G, at $279. Use depends on what you are shooting. For copy work a 40-60 is fine. For bugs a 70-105 is better with more working distance. On DX , Nikon makes the little 40 & a 85 3.5G. Tamron makes a nice 90. For FX Nikon also males a 60 & a 105.

-- hide signature --

I Shoot RAW

GlennW's gear list:GlennW's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 7,450

bflood wrote:

If the 70-300 focal length suits you and what you want to shoot, the Nikon 70-300 AF-S lens is really good. I've read good things about the latest Tamron 70-300 with vibration control, and it's probably worth doing a bit of internet research on it as it should save you a couple of hundred dollars on the purchase price (new).

Thread on Tamron 70-300mm VC

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53516092

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
Steve 316 Forum Member • Posts: 93

Regarding the 70-300, I have the Nikon AF-S that I use on my 5100, and it is a great lens.  Has a built-in motor.

I have the Tamron 60mm macro.  It is great both as a macro and portrait lens.  With an equivalent length of 90mm it a good focal length for most macro subjects.  Plus, it has double the working distance of the Nikon 60mm.  It is not as fast to focus but for macro you are manually focusing anyway.  The Tamron is almost always available with a big rebate.

Tamron also makes a famous 90mm recently updated with anti-shake; that's a 135mm equivalent. It will do slightly better with bugs and other chalenging creatures, but its a lot more money.

Best wishes with whatever you decide.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads