Does HX400 lens have a filter thread?

Started May 12, 2014 | Questions
GuyMea New Member • Posts: 2
Does HX400 lens have a filter thread?

Can someone who actually has this camera confirm if a filter such as a polorizer can be screwed onto the front of the lens & if so what size. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from Sony on this!

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KJaay Veteran Member • Posts: 6,757
Re: Does HX400 lens have a filter thread?

Reboot

-- hide signature --

KJ

KJaay's gear list:KJaay's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Fujifilm X-S1 Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +1 more
Chuck_IV Regular Member • Posts: 495

If I remember right, it is 55mm.

Chuck_IV's gear list:Chuck_IV's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon Pixma Pro-100 +7 more
YY74
YY74 New Member • Posts: 5

I use 55mm uv filter to protect my Hx400 lens

MN duck New Member • Posts: 1

GuyMea wrote:

Can someone who actually has this camera confirm if a filter such as a polorizer can be screwed onto the front of the lens & if so what size. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer from Sony on this!

Thanks.

Yes you can. It has 55mm threads. If you cannot find that size filter you can use step rings

OP GuyMea New Member • Posts: 2

Thanks for the clarification folks.

Sony Support was no help at all, in one call I was told I could if I purchased an adapter & in another call I was told it didn't have a thread!! Seemed odd to me that they would make such a camera & not put a filter thread on the front though I did have to buy a home made adapter from a guy in Poland for my HX100 that this camera will now be replacing.

Designers Den New Member • Posts: 17

Thanks.

You can use 55mm thread size filters & lens hood if its not available you can use step up ring 55-67mm..
Birat New Member • Posts: 9

Yes it certainly has one...You can use 55mm filters as well as lens hoods...

Check my previous post (link below) for the pictures of the cam with a filter and hood.. Thanx

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54873955

Birat

-- hide signature --
 Birat's gear list:Birat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V
DHPatrick
DHPatrick New Member • Posts: 18

It has a filter thread. I understand it is 55mm. Hopefully will find out in the next few days if I can find a store here that sells filters. Figure to get a skylight A1 to help protect my Carl Zeiss lens. The main reason I purchased the camera.

-- hide signature --

D.Patrick, MBA, MA, USA Ret

DHPatrick's gear list:DHPatrick's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L610 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS Rebel T6s +2 more
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,530

GuyMea wrote:

Thanks for the clarification folks.

Sony Support was no help at all, in one call I was told I could if I purchased an adapter & in another call I was told it didn't have a thread!! Seemed odd to me that they would make such a camera & not put a filter thread on the front though I did have to buy a home made adapter from a guy in Poland for my HX100 that this camera will now be replacing.

You have to understand that the people on the help line are Millennials who have recently graduated from college and for most, it's the first job they've ever had. It's also the first time they've ever communicated with anyone outside their social media circles.

On a different track, I haven't used filters on any camera/camcorder, since I quit using SD, analog video. With a 20-MP sensor and lens glass to match, the cheaper filter glass can only degrade the image. It may also refract light onto the wrong places. Getting a hood will give protection and can be of some optical benefit.

-- hide signature --
DHPatrick
DHPatrick New Member • Posts: 18

Steve what you say is very true. I should have been more implicit.

A lot depends of the value or ability to replace the lens you are using and the conditions where you are using your camera. In my case a Carl Zeiss lens is too precious to risk damage, either from dust, fingerprints or fungus. ...and I've shot in some very unusual places. I can't count the number of times I've had to replace a filter. I recently lost a Nikon lens due to a scratch - no filter in use.

The quality of the filter is very important. That is the reason some filters are fairly inexpensive and others are very costly. I can pickup a UV filter for as little as $4 US or as much as $75.00 US. Both may even appear to be the same filter. ...even with the more expensive filter there will be some loss in quality.

Quality is sometimes a trade off - else no one would ever use telephoto lens, night shots or some of the less expensive cameras.

Lens hoods can be a pain, most times they will not fit inside the camera case and they always seem to be in the way. I kinda like the look a hard hood can give a camera, but have resigned myself to the collapsible ones when I need them and they are available.

-- hide signature --

D.Patrick, MBA, MA, USA Ret

DHPatrick's gear list:DHPatrick's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L610 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Panasonic LX100 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS Rebel T6s +2 more
Reflection Photography New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Does H400 lens have a filter thread?

Can anyone help with the above
I love Sunsets & Sunrises and thought this might help

Reflection Photography New Member • Posts: 2

Hi i have a H400
Does this do the same as HX400

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads