Best camera in the world

Started May 12, 2014 | User reviews
Krisoft dot EU New Member • Posts: 1
Best camera in the world

CANON EOS 550D Kiss x4 is one of the best DSLR camera in the world. I have seen and tested dozens of DSLR cameras and I must say I loved 550D the most. It's bright LCD with LiveMode is absolutely fantastic, it's showing so real colors and very sharp image. Photos are in amazing quality. I have EOS 30D and comparing their quality I must say that technology went so far in few years that it's impossible to run after it. I know there are another camera models and who knows what will be there, but 550D gives you as I think, everything you need at the best quality and functionality ever needed.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
18 megapixels • 3 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Feb 8, 2010
Krisoft dot EU's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
karl mohr Senior Member • Posts: 1,566
Re: Best camera in the world

I bought a T2i kit with a 18-135 IS in January 2011.  I started getting much better pictures right away (as compared to my Xti).  I also have a T3i and a T4i, but still find the T2i a very capable camera.

karl mohr's gear list:karl mohr's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Digirame Forum Pro • Posts: 35,363

I bought my Canon T2i (550D) camera over two years ago.  I liked it so much that I bought another one about two months later for a special price.  I still have both of them.  Before I started with these 18mp Canon cameras, I was using 8mp and 10mp Olympus DSLR cameras.

BarnET Veteran Member • Posts: 3,577

Krisoft dot EU wrote:

CANON EOS 550D Kiss x4 is one of the best DSLR camera in the world. I have seen and tested dozens of DSLR cameras and I must say I loved 550D the most. It's bright LCD with LiveMode is absolutely fantastic, it's showing so real colors and very sharp image. Photos are in amazing quality. I have EOS 30D and comparing their quality I must say that technology went so far in few years that it's impossible to run after it. I know there are another camera models and who knows what will be there, but 550D gives you as I think, everything you need at the best quality and functionality ever needed.

I think your right. 4 years ago this was probably the best option. However they have progressed very little. The 1200d for instance is still a worse camera. So now people should look elsewhere.

BarnET's gear list:BarnET's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Ken53 Senior Member • Posts: 2,129

It was a great camera when it came out and still can compete pretty well with best of today. I have two of them and am very pleased with both.

The only thing keeping the T2i from being perfect, was no Micro Focus Adjust and no Custom Mode Positions on the Mode Dial.

Nice Thread... Thanks.

Ken

Ken53's gear list:Ken53's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot SX60 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Philip Kendall
Philip Kendall Contributing Member • Posts: 789

OK, I'll bite. And before anyone accuses me of being a Nikon fanboy or something like that, look at my gear list

Krisoft dot EU wrote:

CANON EOS 550D Kiss x4 is one of the best DSLR camera in the world.

That's fairly clearly not true. The 550D has no advantage over (say) the 700D, and the 700D has a flip-out LCD, the ability to act as a wireless flash master and better focusing speed in live view.

It's bright LCD with LiveMode

If you're using an SLR in live view, you'd be better off with one of the mirrorless options as they have lenses designed to work with CDAF. Or at the very least, stepping up to the 650D/700D for a bit quicker focusing, or the 70D for much quicker focusing.

it's showing so real colors

"Real colors" are much more a matter of personal taste and your camera's settings than anything fundamental to the camera.

Photos are in amazing quality.

True if you compare the pictures to your smartphone - but they're not significantly better than any other APS-C camera, or even micro-4/3s these days.

everything you need at the best quality

Which full frame SLRs were in your dozens of SLRs you compared the 550D to?

and functionality ever needed.

Unless you want dual dial control, a bigger and brighter viewfinder, more focus points, better focus tracking, a bigger RAW buffer, class-leading high ISO performance, class-leading dynamic range, wireless flash control, truly fast focusing in live view and dozens of other things the 550D doesn't have.

Don't get me wrong, the 550D is a wonderful camera. But it's definitely not the best camera in the world.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 145

OK, I'll bite. And before anyone accuses me of being a Nikon fanboy or something like that, look at my gear list

Krisoft dot EU wrote:

CANON EOS 550D Kiss x4 is one of the best DSLR camera in the world.

That's fairly clearly not true. The 550D has no advantage over (say) the 700D, and the 700D has a flip-out LCD, the ability to act as a wireless flash master and better focusing speed in live view.

It's bright LCD with LiveMode

If you're using an SLR in live view, you'd be better off with one of the mirrorless options as they have lenses designed to work with CDAF. Or at the very least, stepping up to the 650D/700D for a bit quicker focusing, or the 70D for much quicker focusing.

it's showing so real colors

"Real colors" are much more a matter of personal taste and your camera's settings than anything fundamental to the camera.

Photos are in amazing quality.

True if you compare the pictures to your smartphone - but they're not significantly better than any other APS-C camera, or even micro-4/3s these days.

everything you need at the best quality

Which full frame SLRs were in your dozens of SLRs you compared the 550D to?

and functionality ever needed.

Unless you want dual dial control, a bigger and brighter viewfinder, more focus points, better focus tracking, a bigger RAW buffer, class-leading high ISO performance, class-leading dynamic range, wireless flash control, truly fast focusing in live view and dozens of other things the 550D doesn't have.

Don't get me wrong, the 550D is a wonderful camera. But it's definitely not the best camera in the world.

Any camera can be the best camera in the world. Especially when comparing what you get for what you pay.

Re: Best camera in the world - one of the best

Philip, it was clarified in the body of the message that it was one of the best.  Looking at it that way, don't you think you would have wrote your reply differently?  It was one of the best for the OP, based on what was reviewed and compared with other cameras.

Philip Kendall
Philip Kendall Contributing Member • Posts: 789

Digirame wrote:

Philip, it was clarified in the body of the message that it was one of the best. Looking at it that way, don't you think you would have wrote your reply differently? It was one of the best for the OP, based on what was reviewed and compared with other cameras.

Honestly, no. Nothing in this review is a good indication of why it's "one of the best cameras in the world":

• Bright LCD: it's no brighter than any other DSLR
  • So real colors: as noted, the colors are a function of settings, not of the camera
  • Very sharp image: no sharper than any other reasonably recent DSLR
  • Photos are [...] amazing quality: no more amazing than any other reasonably recent DSLR
  • Best quality: nope. There are similarly priced cameras with non-trivially better IQ.
  • [all the] functionality ever needed: nope. There's plenty of functionality that many photographers need which isn't in the 550D.

Don't get me wrong - I think the 550D is a wonderful tool, and if somebody wants to say "this is the best camera for me because the Canon ergonomics and menu systems work really well for me" then I'm not going to argue with it, but if you can't find something better about any of the dozens of other DSLRs this was compared with, then you're just not being objective.

Philip Kendall's gear list:Philip Kendall's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II

That is correct. The OP was not being objective, but rather subjective. We don't know the exact reasons why and what the OP means, unless told. That opinion could be based on the weight or the OP doesn't like flip out screens and or a number of untold things.

RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,240

I think this review is a little over the top, but glad that you love it.

I had this camera for a year and it did produce some nice pictures. The problem I always had is it blew out the red hue really bad shooting red objects sometimes. To the point where everything red looked plum to purple and was really annoying. I was lucky enough to have fixed in raw, but was a major drawback.

The other issue I had was dynamic range was poor and every time I had to open up the shadows to prevent highlight clipping, I had poor grainy banding in my shadows.

I now have a D5300 and feel that everything is now perfect. My colors are now perfect and dynamic range is beyond awesome.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads