XA1 arriving soon..............

Started May 11, 2014 | Discussions
Veducci Senior Member • Posts: 1,086
XA1 arriving soon..............

.........I don`t see a lot of XA1 threads on this camera here in the Fuji forum so it doesn`t appear to be very popular but from what I gather it`s at least on a par with the Canon EOSM but with a faster AF.

The Canon M kit lens (18-55 stm) was better than an average dslr kit lens and from what I read the Fuji 16-50 kit lens is just as good or maybe even better. I just couldn`t see spending $450 for the somewhat slow 11-22 just to get to 24mm (my most used FL)so I sold off the EOSM.

I`m hoping to be more satisfied with the XA1. I read one review that displayed images showing the XA1 IQ to be better than those from the XM1 so I ruled out the XM1 , not to mention that the $399 price tag on the XA1 was hard to resist.

The Canon M wasn`t exactly a hot seller either until the fire sale but other than the slow AF and lack of a grip , it remains a very capable camera. with regards to IQ.

I`m hoping to hear from some XA1 users here to alleviate my concerns with the AF and IQ and what to expect from the XA1.

Thanks for reading.

Veducci's gear list:Veducci's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Samsung NX300
Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,589
Re: XA1 arriving soon..............

I had The EOS-M for 6 months and sold it The M 18-55 is as good as the Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4 at the same apertures (F3.5-5.6) , it`s the best slow kit lens by a mile beating the new canon DSLR kit STM as well as all the M43 , NEX and NX zooms bar the near £1000 fast ones ! ...... the 22mm F2.0 prime for the EOS-M is as good as they get also and both M lenses are cheap despite being very well made .........

the problem is the EOS-M body which although is better made than most has awful handling, slow AF, a large focus point which can`t be resized and the sensor is very noisy in the shadows at base ISO (worse than the G1X or 550D), sharp sensor with weak AA filter but horribly dated in the noise department. ....I`d love the EOS-M lenses on a Fuji XA1 and wish they`d use non X-Trans sensors as an option in the whole range .. .

However you may want to sell the Fuji 16-50 kit and get the 18-55 F2.8-4 for best performance.

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
OP Veducci Senior Member • Posts: 1,086

AdamT wrote:

I had The EOS-M for 6 months and sold it The M 18-55 is as good as the Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4 at the same apertures (F3.5-5.6) , it`s the best slow kit lens by a mile beating the new canon DSLR kit STM as well as all the M43 , NEX and NX zooms bar the near £1000 fast ones ! ...... the 22mm F2.0 prime for the EOS-M is as good as they get also and both M lenses are cheap despite being very well made .........

the problem is the EOS-M body which although is better made than most has awful handling, slow AF, a large focus point which can`t be resized and the sensor is very noisy in the shadows at base ISO (worse than the G1X or 550D), sharp sensor with weak AA filter but horribly dated in the noise department. ....I`d love the EOS-M lenses on a Fuji XA1 and wish they`d use non X-Trans sensors as an option in the whole range .. .

However you may want to sell the Fuji 16-50 kit and get the 18-55 F2.8-4 for best performance.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the input  Adam T.

I am somewhat  surprised at your comment to sell the Fuji 16-50 kit lens since I`d be losing the 24mm and $600 by getting the 18-55.

SLR Gear rates the Fuji 16-50 significantly better than the Canon M`s 18-55 in every aspect as well as most other reviews and opinions. SLR`s tests show the M`s 18-55 to be no more than a typical kit lens . They felt the Fuji 16-50 is " impressive" for a kit lens.

I`m hoping they were right.

Bx100 Regular Member • Posts: 218

I order a red XA1 with 16-50 for my wife but Henry's said we might need to wait up to 4-6 weeks --- well not complaining since the price is CAD $399 + 13% tax = CAD $452 (USD$415, EUR$301).

We might keep the 16-50 since we read some reviews and most of them said its image quality is similar to 18-55. But yes 18-55 has a much better build and better DOF/speed.

We hope Fuji will provide firmware update on XA1 soon

Bx100's gear list:Bx100's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 500D Fujifilm X-A1 +6 more
Bx100 Regular Member • Posts: 218

Veducci wrote:

AdamT wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the input Adam T.

I am somewhat surprised at your comment to sell the Fuji 16-50 kit lens since I`d be losing the 24mm and $600 by getting the 18-55.

SLR Gear rates the Fuji 16-50 significantly better than the Canon M`s 18-55 in every aspect as well as most other reviews and opinions. SLR`s tests show the M`s 18-55 to be no more than a typical kit lens . They felt the Fuji 16-50 is " impressive" for a kit lens.

I`m hoping they were right.

For build quality 18-55 is much better than 16-50

But if you put it on XA1 16-50 might be more balance since 18-55 is not light when compare with 16-50.

We are also waiting for XA1 to arrive Cant wait !!!

Bx100's gear list:Bx100's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 500D Fujifilm X-A1 +6 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,589

V

SLR Gear rates the Fuji 16-50 significantly better than the Canon M`s 18-55 in every aspect as well as most other reviews and opinions. SLR`s tests show the M`s 18-55 to be no more than a typical kit lens . They felt the Fuji 16-50 is " impressive" for a kit lens.

I can only go by my own testing and the M 18-55 is as good as Fuji`s fast kit 18-55, SLR gear must have had a dud . it slays the DSLR 18-55 STM & the Nikon 18-55VR let alone the junky DSLR and mirrorless kits - just a shame the bodies are lame, the Fuji XA1 looks a killer for the money !!   ...

I recommended the Fuji 18-55 because of the aperture speed and reputation for optical quality , it should cost you nothing like 600 bucks, Euros, Pounds or whatever to upgrade if you find a used one and sell the 16-50 ...

-- hide signature --

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
bdy Junior Member • Posts: 34

I have both the XE1 and XA1. I really like both cameras and find they have pretty similar picture quality. They handle differently though, with the smaller size of the XA1 and less manual knobs on it. I think the lighter the lens the better on the smaller XA1, so I would go with the lighter and still good quality kit zoom lens. I personally am waiting on delivery of the 27 mm lens to mate with the XA1. I currently have the 35 mm lens on it which is a pretty nicely balanced set up. I would suggest turning noise reduction to -2 since the XA1 has rather aggressive NR. I used to have the XM1 but found JPEG quality better on the XA1, particularly with snapshots of people at ISO higher than 1600. Enjoy!

Ed Steichen
Ed Steichen Regular Member • Posts: 301

I bought the X-A1 during the Fuji sale and I just love it. I was looking for an APS-C sized mirror-less camera so I could use my legacy glass, and at these prices, I think it is a very good deal.

It is light, easy to use, superb image quality and I think the 16-50, while plasticky, is a fine kit lens. I find the 16-50 to be contrasty and sharp. The X-A1 does feel a bit cheap in hand at first, but I quickly got over that and have grown to very much enjoy using it. I shoot every day with it and am having lots of fun. I did buy a thumb grip though, which I highly recommend to improve the handling.

AF is fine for me. I've done some street shooting with it, and while not as fast as a dslr, I find it plenty quick  and have learned to accommodate it's speed. Shooting kids, or fast moving objects, however, is not it's strong suit.

Wants: A viewfinder would be nice, but I also love using the tilting screen, especially with old, manual lenses. An electronic level would be nice, and so would color peaking. But for the money, I believe it to be a fine camera.

All this said, my X-A1 is about to be joined by an X-E1 very shortly, so I will soon have a better sense of how it compares to other Fuji cameras. I decided that given the prices of the X-E1 right now I would make that plunge as well. The X-A1 has made me a Fuji fan and I decided having two light weight bodies will come in handy when I don't want to be changing lenses in the field. Plus, now I will have a viewfinder for those brightest of days.

I hope this is helpful. I really love the X-A1, hope you do too.

Ed Steichen's gear list:Ed Steichen's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,547

I don't think it makes sense to replace the kit lens with the little faster kit lens. It's far better to add a 1.4/35 for low light and shallow DOF.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +12 more
Mirfak Senior Member • Posts: 1,375

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

I don't think it makes sense to replace the kit lens with the little faster kit lens. It's far better to add a 1.4/35 for low light and shallow DOF.

-- hide signature --

I couldn't agree more. Some folks just have too much disposable income. I'm been a photo enthusiast for over 20 years and don't make money from photography these days. I haven't bought a new camera for a few years - not because I couldn't afford one...it's just that I didn't want to spend money on compromises that I thought would go away in the next model At $399 Canadian + tax, the X-A1 is a no brainer. Even so, I read a lot of X-A1 and X-M1 reviews before making my decision to purchase the X-A1. The 18-55mm is $699 Canadian + tax at Henrys (where I purchased the X-A1 kit). If I could afford that, I might as well have gotten the X-E2 kit for $1399 Canadian + tax (which comes with the 18-55mm lens). I've read enough reviews from pros who consider the 16-50mm to be just fine (a fact that I've confirmed to my utmost delight!).

I looked at a alternatives to the X-A1 in about the same price range (all currently being at least $100 more), and I don't think that any were overall better than the X-A1. At $399 Canadian, this is the best deal I've ever seen for a current production ILC. It's the same price that I paid for my Canon G7 several years ago (on sale at the time!).

I think that the X-A1 is the most overlooked and underappreciated ILC on the planet. This statement coming from someone who's used nothing but Canon gear until now.

Next I need to look at the 50-230mm tele that's gotten very good reviews. At $399, it's $300 less than the 18-55mm. Not the same quality obviously, but the 18-55mm is not a telephoto lens. That's an extra $300 that I could put towards the 35/f1.4 ($599 Canadian).

dmaclau Senior Member • Posts: 2,552
I have an X-M1

I bought it for use with an 8mm lens.  As I also have an X-100 (not s) I believe that the sensor is quite excellent.  I bought they M vs the A because for $100 I wanted to try the xTrans sensor.  It's also quite good.  I believe that the IQ from both the A and M are equal.  Each very good.

The 16-50 lens, although I hardly ever use it, is surprisingly good.  A steal at the price.  I can't see that it really gives up much at all to the 18-55

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 XF 90mm +1 more
Miki Nemeth
Miki Nemeth Senior Member • Posts: 1,439
Fujifilm X-A1 is the 3rd camera (all mirrorless) in our family

Mirfak wrote:

I think that the X-A1 is the most overlooked and underappreciated ILC on the planet.

I simply ignored Fujifilm until my daughter won the 1st and 3rd place of a photography challenge/contest, and one of the present/gift was an X-A1. I am on a business trip, and I have quite a lot of time for having fun with the X-A1. In some other threads a few people wrote that manual focusing is not really feasible with the X-A1. I found it quite OK; definitely, it would be easier with an EVF. Here are two test shots from quite a distance:

Taken with MF with the help of magnification and (white) focus peaking.

Another MF test shot; I'd prefer red focus peaking

For more photos taken with X-A1 visit this album: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6567299074/albums/fujifilm-x-a1

I think I'll keep the X-A1, and let my daughter have the A7. I have already ordered an inexpensive FD-FX adapter; if it works fine I'll order more adapters OM-FX, PEN-FX, MD-FX, NIK-FX for my other lenses.

Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Sony a5100 Sony a9 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS +8 more
OP Veducci Senior Member • Posts: 1,086
Re: XA1 Has arrived !!!!

Mirfak wrote:

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

-- hide signature --

I couldn't agree more. Some folks just have too much disposable income. I'm been a photo enthusiast for over 20 years and don't make money from photography these days. I haven't bought a new camera for a few years - not because I couldn't afford one...it's just that I didn't want to spend money on compromises that I thought would go away in the next model At $399 Canadian + tax, the X-A1 is a no brainer. Even so, I read a lot of X-A1 and X-M1 reviews before making my decision to purchase the X-A1. The 18-55mm is $699 Canadian + tax at Henrys (where I purchased the X-A1 kit). If I could afford that, I might as well have gotten the X-E2 kit for $1399 Canadian + tax (which comes with the 18-55mm lens). I've read enough reviews from pros who consider the 16-50mm to be just fine (a fact that I've confirmed to my utmost delight!).

I looked at a alternatives to the X-A1 in about the same price range (all currently being at least $100 more), and I don't think that any were overall better than the X-A1. At $399 Canadian, this is the best deal I've ever seen for a current production ILC. It's the same price that I paid for my Canon G7 several years ago (on sale at the time!).

I think that the X-A1 is the most overlooked and underappreciated ILC on the planet. This statement coming from someone who's used nothing but Canon gear until now.

Next I need to look at the 50-230mm tele that's gotten very good reviews. At $399, it's $300 less than the 18-55mm. Not the same quality obviously, but the 18-55mm is not a telephoto lens. That's an extra $300 that I could put towards the 35/f1.4 ($599 Canadian).

I`ve had the XA1 in my hand for an hour now (after battery charge) and after viewing about 50 test shots , all I can say is WOW! I`m blown away.

I have very few negatives to say about my (sold off) Canon M and it`s very good 18-55 kit lens but this XA1 with the 16-50 is a significant step up , super sharp it is , snaps into focus quickly , and has great contrast. I don`t think I`m going to have any interest at all in the slightly faster Fuji 18-55 after seeing with my own eyes what the 16-50 can do , plus the 24mmm wide end is a BIG plus (a bonus) .

The low light noise free images look super good on my computer screen too, the best it`s seen yet..

I`m also loving the quick and accurate AF. I don`t miss Canon`s touch screen at all.

What a bargain this is at $399 ! This is all the camera I`m gonna need for a long time.

Re: Fujifilm X-A1 is the 3rd camera (all mirrorless) in our family

Miki Nemeth wrote:

Mirfak wrote:

I think that the X-A1 is the most overlooked and underappreciated ILC on the planet.

I simply ignored Fujifilm until my daughter won the 1st and 3rd place of a photography challenge/contest, and one of the present/gift was an X-A1. I am on a business trip, and I have quite a lot of time for having fun with the X-A1. In some other threads a few people wrote that manual focusing is not really feasible with the X-A1. I found it quite OK; definitely, it would be easier with an EVF. Here are two test shots from quite a distance:

I saw the X-A1 kit at Best Buy about a month ago selling for $499 CAN. I had never heard of it, although the price seemed attractive. I did a cursory search, discovered that it used a standard Bayer filter, and assumed that it was just a cheap knockoff of Fuji's higher end products - probably okay, but nothing to shout about (it's amazing how poor marketing can affect your brain). When the price dropped to $399 (almost a giveaway), I decided to investigate deeper and was shocked to discover just how good this camera performs and amazed that I overlooked all of the great features. So I was definitely in the group of overlookers and underappreciaters. I hope that the camera sells well. As for manual AF, I found it to be fine with the kit lens. If memory serves me right, I believe that many of the manual AF complaints has to do with lenses fitted through an adapter.

For more photos taken with X-A1 visit this album: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6567299074/albums/fujifilm-x-a1

I think I'll keep the X-A1, and let my daughter have the A7. I have already ordered an inexpensive FD-FX adapter; if it works fine I'll order more adapters OM-FX, PEN-FX, MD-FX, NIK-FX for my other lenses.

Miki

Oh, the disadvantages of being a kid Thanks for sharing the photos.

Re: I have an X-M1

dmaclau wrote:

I bought it for use with an 8mm lens. As I also have an X-100 (not s) I believe that the sensor is quite excellent. I bought they M vs the A because for $100 I wanted to try the xTrans sensor. It's also quite good. I believe that the IQ from both the A and M are equal. Each very good.

The 16-50 lens, although I hardly ever use it, is surprisingly good. A steal at the price. I can't see that it really gives up much at all to the 18-55

Currently the X-M1 is selling for $250 more than the X-A1 in Canada. I couldn't see $250 value in the X-Trans sensor over the X-A1. At $100 price difference, I would have been very tempted by the X-M1. I would have been tempted also if the X-M1 had additional features that were dropped from X-E1, like the electronic level, motion panorama, etc (excluding the EVF, which, with additional controls, are key differentiators between the A/M and the higher priced products).

Bottom line is that you have a great product.

Ed Steichen wrote:

and at these prices, I think it is a very good deal.

That's an understatement.

I did buy a thumb grip though, which I highly recommend to improve the handling.

Which one did you get? I'm thinking of the Kiwi, which includes a bubble level (horizontal orientation only).

AF is fine for me. I've done some street shooting with it, and while not as fast as a dslr, I find it plenty quick and have learned to accommodate it's speed.

For stills, I'm not sure how much faster the AF needs to be...and it's very precise.

Wants: A viewfinder would be nice, but I also love using the tilting screen, especially with old, manual lenses. An electronic level would be nice, and so would color peaking. But for the money, I believe it to be a fine camera.

Every time I find myself thinking like this, I'm reminded of how little I paid for the kit...and give myself a slap in the face. Still, I'm hoping that a future firmware update will add a few niceties.

All this said, my X-A1 is about to be joined by an X-E1 very shortly, so I will soon have a better sense of how it compares to other Fuji cameras. I decided that given the prices of the X-E1 right now I would make that plunge as well. The X-A1 has made me a Fuji fan and I decided having two light weight bodies will come in handy when I don't want to be changing lenses in the field. Plus, now I will have a viewfinder for those brightest of days.

I have the opportunity to buy a second hand X-E1 with hand grip, thumb grip and remote shutter for $500. I not tempted, however

I hope this is helpful. I really love the X-A1, hope you do too.

Likewise. Always glad to learn about another happy customer.

BPD7 Regular Member • Posts: 416

Frankly, for the price of the X-A1 with kit lens I was pretty blown away by the images.  yes not viewfinder, but the pics it produces are crazy good. CRAZY GOOD.

BPD7's gear list:BPD7's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more

BPD7 wrote:

Frankly, for the price of the X-A1 with kit lens I was pretty blown away by the images. yes not viewfinder, but the pics it produces are crazy good. CRAZY GOOD.

Before I came across this deal, I was dead set against purchasing any interchangeable lens camera without a viewfinder (no issue using P&S cameras without viewfinders). Well, what can I say. Every man has his price.

johncecilian Contributing Member • Posts: 667

I just got one and I am very happy with the results, to me the sensor seems just as good as the fuji non-bayer sensor( or whatever it is called)...

Beagle profile

johncecilian's gear list:johncecilian's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
BPD7 Regular Member • Posts: 416

Mirfak wrote:

BPD7 wrote:

Frankly, for the price of the X-A1 with kit lens I was pretty blown away by the images. yes not viewfinder, but the pics it produces are crazy good. CRAZY GOOD.

Before I came across this deal, I was dead set against purchasing any interchangeable lens camera without a viewfinder (no issue using P&S cameras without viewfinders). Well, what can I say. Every man has his price.

Exactly, and for this price we can't pass it up

BPD7's gear list:BPD7's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads