Bird thread - with Canon FF camera's

Started May 9, 2014 | Discussions
NewForce Senior Member • Posts: 1,263
Bird thread - with Canon FF camera's

With my recent purchased of Tamron SP 150-600mm Di VC UD lens, I've finally managed to gain more fun with birding. (after much undesirable experienced with the 70-200mm IS and the 70-300mm IS lenses on my 6D.)

As I've just started my birding interest for less than 2 months, so I am very new to this shooting interest and there's a lot for me to learn.

In order for myself to gain more experience, I've started this Bird thread to have more experience Birding photographer to pour in and share your great BIS (birds-in-still) and BIF (bird-in-flight) shots that you'd taken with your Canon Full Frame camera's, so that myself, and other birding photography lovers can learn a few techniques in how to shoot bird in the better way.

I have some birds shoots. All C&C are welcome.

Last but not least, here I would like to say, "Many thanks to all the Senior Bird Photographer first".

-- hide signature --

Kenny

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike Guffin
Mike Guffin Regular Member • Posts: 490
Re: Bird thread - with Canon FF camera's

Here's a couple of mine...

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony a6300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
mikero Contributing Member • Posts: 589

And three of mine with the 5DIII:

mikero's gear list:mikero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Fujifilm X-T10 Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM +16 more
Colin Franks
Colin Franks Senior Member • Posts: 1,557

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +17 more
Kevin G. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,234

Very nice Kenny!  I've been waiting for the Tamron now for about 1 1/2 months, no idea when it will be available.

I like your images - I'm presuming these are full frame with little cropping?  As you know with a full frame camera, you are disadvantaged somewhat with reach.  I've been shooting with the 5DIII (coming from the 7D) and using the 300mm f/4 with a 1.4 TC.  It is really not enough, even when shooting larger birds.

One thing you may enjoy doing is try shooting some larger birds, especially in-flight, for practice.  It is very hard to do this with the smaller ones.  Anyway what I do is always use AI Servo when shooting, usually center point expanded (sometimes zone), and I also use  back button focusing.  I shoot aperture priority and adjust  ISO so that I get a decent shutter speed, especially for BIF (at least 1/1600).  Recently I tried shooting smaller perched birds at my feeder in the backyard, after taping some branches to the feeder to act as perches.  In order to get close enough, I used my car parked in the drive, acting as a hide, as close to the feeder as possible and shot out the window!  These are all slightly cropped, but they still have a lot of detail.  Here are a few of mine from the feeder, plus a few BIF.

Regards,

Kevin

Carolina Wren

Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Black Vulture

Juvenile Bald Eagle

-- hide signature --
ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,726

Nice work, some of mine.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM +10 more
Neil Schofield Contributing Member • Posts: 546

All taken using a prefocused lens and remote cable

Judicious placement of feeder and attention to background are also the key to great inflight shots of small birds

Have a go yourself and see

regards

Neil

bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,429

A few from Kauai with my 5D3. First was with my 70-200 f/4L IS, and the others were with my 100-400L.

MarkLand Senior Member • Posts: 1,845
pre-focused BIF

great shots Neil.

-Mark

-- hide signature --
bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,429

NeilSDPR wrote:

Judicious placement of feeder and attention to background are also the key to great inflight shots of small birds

Very nice.  Particularly like the first and fifth shots.

regards

Neil

DugT
DugT Senior Member • Posts: 1,154

Lots of real nice pics here. A couple of months ago I bought a Canon 600mm and a 1.4x. At times even it isn't as powerful as I would like. Trying to shoot from far away with a powerful lens, a small bird, is like multiplying by zero.

Here are some recent favorites of mine taken with a 6D.

By the way, I live on a pond which seems like cheating.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

DugT's gear list:DugT's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
Jaims Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Re: Ill chime in

5D3 + 400DO+1.4x

Blue Rock Thrush (female)

Regards

-- hide signature --

Jaime

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,403

Nice shots. I use a cropped sensor camera for the extra reach with the weight.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7 Pentax K5ii Canon 5D

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +8 more
OP NewForce Senior Member • Posts: 1,263

Mike Guffin wrote:

Here's a couple of mine...

Colin Franks wrote:

Thank you both for sharing your lovely birds pictures.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

mikero wrote:

And three of mine with the 5DIII:

Omg.. you have very nice BIF picturtes. Thanks for sharing them here.

From the 3 pictures exif, it look like successful BIF linked with good lighting, high shutter speed and big enough aperture settings. I am certainly benfitted with your picts info.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,726

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

Lots of real nice pics here. A couple of months ago I bought a Canon 600mm and a 1.4x. At times even it isn't as powerful as I would like. Trying to shoot from far away with a powerful lens, a small bird, is like multiplying by zero.

Excellent shots.

-- hide signature --

dt

-- hide signature --

Alan.
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
- Peter Adams

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Sigma 300-800mm F5.6 EX DG HSM +10 more

Kevin G. wrote:

Very nice Kenny! I've been waiting for the Tamron now for about 1 1/2 months, no idea when it will be available.

I like your images - I'm presuming these are full frame with little cropping? As you know with a full frame camera, you are disadvantaged somewhat with reach. I've been shooting with the 5DIII (coming from the 7D) and using the 300mm f/4 with a 1.4 TC. It is really not enough, even when shooting larger birds.

One thing you may enjoy doing is try shooting some larger birds, especially in-flight, for practice. It is very hard to do this with the smaller ones. Anyway what I do is always use AI Servo when shooting, usually center point expanded (sometimes zone), and I also use back button focusing. I shoot aperture priority and adjust ISO so that I get a decent shutter speed, especially for BIF (at least 1/1600). Recently I tried shooting smaller perched birds at my feeder in the backyard, after taping some branches to the feeder to act as perches. In order to get close enough, I used my car parked in the drive, acting as a hide, as close to the feeder as possible and shot out the window! These are all slightly cropped, but they still have a lot of detail. Here are a few of mine from the feeder, plus a few BIF.

Regards,

Kevin

Carolina Wren

Carolina Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

Black Vulture

Juvenile Bald Eagle

-- hide signature --

Thanks for nice words Kevin.

Yes, my birds pictures indeed are with 6D FF and Tamron 150-600mm lens, but unfortunately they're with heavily cropped to around 4~10MP size, from original 20M of 6D in order for the birds to look big.

The past few days, I've learned something from other birds photographers here in Singapore. I've come to agreed with you and them, for large birds BIF shots, a 500~600mm lens attached on a FF camera preferable. However, it's not the same story for small breed bird shots. Unless the small bird are nesting on a short tree branches, FL will always seem like not enough.

Yes agreed, large birds BIF was fun to shoot. Well the small one should be the pain in the butt for everyone.

The AI Servo mode on 11-AF points 6D probably not well implement and responsive when compare to 5D3, So instead of relying on it, I've shoot small birds with the Tamron lens on constant manual focusing, auto ISO, manual mode with 1/2000~1/4000 high shutter speed. If light condition permitted I'll choose aperture F8~11, if not F5~6.3.

You are one of the some lucky guy to have backyard where you can place some feeder to attract birds to fly near to your house and you're able to capture them in short distsance. In large contrary (and sadly), most of us in Singapore who live in multi-storey apartment block most of our lifetime does not able to enjoy similar experience.

Shoot from hiding in a car was a nice tips. I did have a chance before to shoot in this quite idea hide-out and got shots like below.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

Mike Guffin
Mike Guffin Regular Member • Posts: 490
 Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony a6300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more

NeilSDPR wrote:

regards

Neil

Thank you for your sharing Neil. I especially like the above 2 shots of yours. They simply look gorgeous.

I share some of my shots below. They may not look similar but was quite close to yours.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

Very very nice shots. Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful shots here.

Btw, I would rather addressed your living location as opportunities.

-- hide signature --

dt

-- hide signature --

Kenny

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads