X-T1 Auto ISO bug?

Started May 8, 2014 | Discussions
newtoy Regular Member • Posts: 391
X-T1 Auto ISO bug?

This is from the manual:

The ISO AUTO SETTING item in the shooting menu (page 78) controls how the camera adjusts sensitivity when A is selected. The camera automatically chooses a sensitivity between the default and maximum values; sensitivity is only raised above the default value if the shutter speed required for optimal exposure would be slower than the value selected for MIN. SHUTTER SPEED.”

I set my:

default sensitivity to 200

max. sensitivity to 1600

min. shutter speed to 1/30

But the camera choose iso 800 and 1/2900 sec when I set the aperture to F4, why??????????

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +23 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,359
Re: X-T1 Auto ISO bug?

Perhaps because you have enabled auto DR ?

clockface Regular Member • Posts: 171

As said by previous poster.

You either have AutoDR turned on which has selected DR400% or you have set DR yourself to 400%.

Auto DR sets the DR according to the scene, or you can choose the DR manually.

DR100% is DR = OFF,

DR200 requires ISO to be set to 400ISO,

DR400 requires ISO to be set to 800ISO.

So AutoDR in conjunction with AutoISO will change the ISO, even in bright conditions.

Indulis Bernsteins Regular Member • Posts: 480

My understanding is that DR is not useful for anyone shooting RAW, so just switch it off.

I have set shooting modes on my X-E1,  C2 with Max ISO=800 and C1 Max ISO=6400, then I set shutter speed manually, so I can force the camera to pretty much do what I want easily.

Indulis Bernsteins's gear list:Indulis Bernsteins's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

My understanding is that DR is not useful for anyone shooting RAW, so just switch it off.

I have set shooting modes C1 with Max ISO=800 and C2 Max ISO=6400, then I set shutter speed manually, so I can force the camera to pretty much do what I want easily.

I think that's true provided you deliberately expose the image for highlights (underexposing the rest).  This is precisely what the camera does for you with expanded DR settings followed by the JPEG engine lifting the non-highlight areas of the image when it creates the JPEG.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Dorkington Regular Member • Posts: 355

Some applications respect DR settings applied to RAW files. I know ACR/LR does, and so does Iridient. Whether or not this is something you want, is up to you. Personally, I just do AutoDR, and I've been happy.

Dorkington's gear list:Dorkington's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,481

DR 400 = ISO 800.

No bug... It's that way by design.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Chad Hardy
Chad Hardy Senior Member • Posts: 1,192

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Bingo.  The bad news is DR also affects your RAW outputs so I recommend setting it manually even if you are shooting RAW only.  I usually have it on DR100 all the time, so I can get down to ISO 200.  I can deal with shadows and highlights in post.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 +16 more
OP newtoy Regular Member • Posts: 391

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Thank you everyone! Yes, I set DR to 400% in day one and never checked. I will set it to 100% from now on.

Look like there is no free lunch after all! That 400% DR robbed me the clean low ISO IQ!

Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +23 more

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Thank you everyone! Yes, I set DR to 400% in day one and never checked. I will set it to 100% from now on.

Look like there is no free lunch after all! That 400% DR robbed me the clean low ISO IQ!

Not so. You wouldn't notice but you would've benefited from the apparent increase in DR, as long as you take JPGs at least.

Best set to either DR100 i.e. don't use the DR extpanson facility or set it to AutoDR with AutoISO so it can use DR100, 200 or 400 as the camera sees fit.
If taking RAW then don't use it as it only underexposes the RAW file. Use it on JPG and it works its "magic".

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Not so. You wouldn't notice but you would've benefited from the apparent increase in DR, as long as you take JPGs at least.

Best set to either DR100 i.e. don't use the DR extpanson facility or set it to AutoDR with AutoISO so it can use DR100, 200 or 400 as the camera sees fit.
If taking RAW then don't use it as it only underexposes the RAW file. Use it on JPG and it works its "magic".

I tested it with auto DR and Auto ISO both turn on and the minimum ISO it will go is 400!

dengx Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

newtoy wrote:

I tested it with auto DR and Auto ISO both turn on and the minimum ISO it will go is 400!

AutoISO and AutoDR can select everything from ISO200 and DR100% upwards.

And it doesn't really rob you of anything because all DR400% does is to underexpose the image by 2 stops then raise the shadows while keeping the highlights underexposed.

Think of it that way - the highlights shot at ISO200 and the shadows at ISO800 when it comes to noise (that's an example of course).

If you set DR to 100% then you need to be very careful when metering to not to blown the highlights often underexposing by 1-2 stops by yourself. The difference is that you need to do it manually versus the auto mode.

Regards

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

As I said earlier "...or set it to AutoDR with AutoISO so it can use DR100, 200 or 400 as the camera sees fit..."

If it selects DR100 it could use ISO200, if it chooses DR200 it will have to choose ISO400 as a minimum, if it chooses the DR as DR400 then ISO800 will be its minimum.
It's more a case of the ISO being used to set an underexposure rather than any significant degradation of the image. As I said earlier it will use ISO800 in bright conditions but you won't notice any loss of IQ.

Try it take the shot at ISO200 with DR100, then take the same shot with DRauto and ISOauto. Compare the shots in blinkie mode, which has the more blinkies?

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,115

Just wanted to say thanks for asking the question. I never realised that's how it worked.

Thanks to the respondants too.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

As I said earlier "...or set it to AutoDR with AutoISO so it can use DR100, 200 or 400 as the camera sees fit..."

If it selects DR100 it could use ISO200, if it chooses DR200 it will have to choose ISO400 as a minimum, if it chooses the DR as DR400 then ISO800 will be its minimum.
It's more a case of the ISO being used to set an underexposure rather than any significant degradation of the image. As I said earlier it will use ISO800 in bright conditions but you won't notice any loss of IQ.

Try it take the shot at ISO200 with DR100, then take the same shot with DRauto and ISOauto. Compare the shots in blinkie mode, which has the more blinkies?

OK, you are the judge today:

Two photos taken a few moment apart (The time took to set ISO from auto to 200). As I said before, DR was set to 400. Auto mode.

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Two photos taken a few moment apart (The time took to set ISO from auto to 200). As I said before, DR was set to 400. Auto mode.

Not the best examples! I suggest taking a scene which has a wider range between light and dark eg a scene brightly lit with a cloudy sky. See which version gives you more detail/less blinkies in the sky.

I find AutoDR useful, you may not. And bear in mind it's for producing JPGs with a minimal/ or no PP. If you're happy to PP or take RAW then I suggest you turn it off.

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

Not the best examples! I suggest taking a scene which has a wider range between light and dark eg a scene brightly lit with a cloudy sky. See which version gives you more detail/less blinkies in the sky.

I find AutoDR useful, you may not. And bear in mind it's for producing JPGs with a minimal/ or no PP. If you're happy to PP or take RAW then I suggest you turn it off.

You mean no auto any more. I will have to use my brain power to choose what DR setting to use: auto DR, 100%DR, 200%DR or 400%DR! Because it all depended on the scene DR! Right?

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

This come from the same photos:

Yes, the cake (highlight DR) is there! But would you eat it?

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

clockface wrote:

MayaTlab0 wrote:

This come from the same photos:

Yes, the cake (highlight DR) is there! But would you eat it?

I give up mate. Take the advice or leave it, it matters not to me. You take an initial two pics to compare that are dull and "designed" not to show anything, then you take another two that are again extremes, this time taken into the sun. Seems to me that you are deliberately obfuscating matters. I'll bow out now, only trying to be helpful, looks like you've made your mind up.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads