Selling to Peter Walnes internationally Locked

Started May 7, 2014 | Questions
This thread is locked.
samfan Senior Member • Posts: 1,066
Selling to Peter Walnes internationally

Hey guys,

Has anyone sold stuff to Peter Walnes from outside UK? Any issues?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Re: Selling to Peter Walnes internationally

samfan wrote:  Hey guys,  Has anyone sold stuff to Peter Walnes from outside UK? Any issues?

All I can tell you is that Peter has been going for many, many years and to my own (and friends in UK - I'm in Spain now) experience he is an honest and reliable dealer.  Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

OP samfan Senior Member • Posts: 1,066

Yes I've found many testimonials on the net, but neither specifically about selling to him from abroad, so I'd like to know if any one has any experience with this in particular. Thanks.

Bump. Sorry, but, anyone? I need to know.

dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,494

I bought my first proper camera from Leslie Millers in Poole, Dorset in 1973, at that time Peter Walnes and Robert White were sales assistants together with Gray Levett (Grays of Westminster).

All three were Nikon nuts (even though they sold me an Olympus) and they went on to become the most knowledgable and respected Nikon Dealers in the UK, all are still in business after more than 40 years. Peter in Cornwall, Robert in Parkstone and Gray in Westminster.

You don't stay in business for that long if you rip your customers off. I still use Robert White and Grays for my nikon gear (simply as they are more accesible to me) and have never had a reason to doubt the honesty of any of them.

I am sure that the testimonials on Peter's web site are totally genuine as some are from highly respected professional photographers who would not lend their name to anything crooked

Hope this helps

here is a link to a pdf by Gray Levett with comments on the three dealers backgrounds

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/pdf/press/2010-11_business_spotlight.pdf

dave

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,463
Not sold, only bought

samfan wrote:

Hey guys,

Very satisfied. No issues.

Thanks.

nandbytes Veteran Member • Posts: 6,224

I have sold plenty to him and bought a couple things.

Very honest man, and trustworthy. I don't think he'll cheat on you if that's your concern.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony a7C Sony a1 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +2 more
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
+1 Dave

dave wrote: I bought my first proper camera from Leslie Millers in Poole, Dorset in 1973, at that time Peter Walnes and Robert White were sales assistants together with Gray Levett (Grays of Westminster).

You don't stay in business for that long if you rip your customers off. I still use Robert White and Grays for my nikon gear (simply as they are more accesible to me) and have never had a reason to doubt the honesty of any of them.

Similar for me Dave with Millers - except I did buy and exchange with Robert - and Peter - after they separated when Lesley Miller closed shop (well, he was 80+ and he helped them both to set up their own businesses, as he was not a photographer but a businessman). I even surprised Peter once when he gave me almost double back for a Linhof Technica film 5x4 monorail that I had bought from him only about 9 months previously. I exchanged for a Technica and had dosh over, so bought a load of film. Both have gained high reputations for their dealings and both well respected.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113

samfan wrote:

Hey guys,

Like just about everybody here.. I can tell you absolutely that you will not be dealing with any other than a truly honest Dealer. I first dealt with Peter what must now be about very late 1970's or VERY early 1980...when I was using Rolleis..he was recommended to me by a very good firm personal friend who himself had a very good personal relationship in photo gear with Peter. As far as I recall..he was then in Christchurch (Devon). I had one or two good deals with him then nothing more for a long time.
In the interim the business at Christchurch ceased and next I heard he was in London.. since when I understand he's had various moves around.   But as to dealing.. as already made clear enough.you WILL get a good and honest deal..but I rather think it is likely correct to say also that Peter is an acute Dealer..he will give nothing over the odds..HIS margin is always uppermost in mind...FAIR to a Seller. but at the same time generally trying to protect his expected margin when he turns over any goods he takes in...but FAIR in every way...YOU have to decide if the price is right.

Dealing by buying (him) from out of UK I'd think is one to ponder.. prices and values of course vary from Country to Country so I don't know if YOUR value of the goods you propose selling to him, are equal to what HE may think right to buy-in here.. YOU have to take heed of this variation...but you will get what on the best of terms, is what Peter thinks a good deal.

Good luck...

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

lizatrips New Member • Posts: 1

Unfortunately, I had horrible experience with Peter Walnes recently and sincerely don't recommend him to anyone. During the pandemic, I lost a lot of my income and decided to sell one of my lenses (that was less than 1 year old) to Peter Walnes. I've read a lot of positive reviews about him as a buyer / seller, however, it's been over 3 months, he sold my lens pretty much immediately (in July), promised me payment and disappeared. He always has some excuses not to pay and then he just stopped replying to my messages. I'm honestly gutted and not sure what to do because I was left without a lens and without a payment and this person just got away with it...

lizatrips wrote:

Unfortunately, I had horrible experience with Peter Walnes recently and sincerely don't recommend him to anyone. During the pandemic, I lost a lot of my income and decided to sell one of my lenses (that was less than 1 year old) to Peter Walnes. I've read a lot of positive reviews about him as a buyer / seller, however, it's been over 3 months, he sold my lens pretty much immediately (in July), promised me payment and disappeared. He always has some excuses not to pay and then he just stopped replying to my messages. I'm honestly gutted and not sure what to do because I was left without a lens and without a payment and this person just got away with it...

Small claims court.

Do you have email correspondence with him agreeing to a deal?

And do you have a your postage receipt with tracking?

Do you have some proof supporting your claim that he has sold out lens i.e. proving he indeed received your lens.

If you have all the above send a polite email saying that if you do not receive the payment you will going to small claims court. And if you don't receive a response then file the case.

Though I must say I have never had problems with him. I dealt with him just before the lockdown and things went very smoothly without issues. I find it very surprising that he's cheated someone.

-- hide signature --

Sony a7C Sony a1 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +2 more
danny125 New Member • Posts: 3

Hi,

im looking to sell some equipment, potentially to Peter Walnes. Does anyone have recent good experience as the post above is slightly off-putting, but the price offered is much fairer

danny125 wrote:

Hi,

im looking to sell some equipment, potentially to Peter Walnes. Does anyone have recent good experience as the post above is slightly off-putting, but the price offered is much fairer

My last dealing with him was in January. I got my payment within a couple days of him receiving the lens.

How much is your gear worth? Perhaps send him one of the cheaper items and then send him the rest if you are happy.

He also has a eBay shop with loads of feedback and all 100% positive.

The post above is off-putting but the person literally made the account to post just that comment and never replied back. So I'd take it with a grain of salt.

-- hide signature --

encar Forum Member • Posts: 57

Well, I have had an account here for a long time - although I have not been active for many years now.

Unfortunately, I must report a very similar, negative experience with selling to Peter Walnes. A few weeks go, I sent him a very valuable lens to sell on commission, which he sold on eBay almost overnight while promising payment once the two-week return period he grants his buyers had expired. The price to me was fair, and I had prepared in the meantime a large shipment of other gear to send him. When I was finally ready to ship it, I realised that the payment for the 1st transaction had not been made on the agreed date. Along with profuse apologies, the excuse I was given had to do with cash-flow problems due to a higher - and earlier than expected - tax liability - and could I wait a bit longer to receive my money? I did give him an extra week for making the payment, but haven't seen it nor have I received any further messages from him.

This has left me with no choice but, indeed, to refer the matter to the Small Claims Court.

The only silver lining is that the gear in the 2nd shipment is still with me.

Whilst I have generally been happy with the items I bought from him in the past, I would not recommend selling anything to - or through - Peter Walnes.

encar wrote:

Well, I have had an account here for a long time - although I have not been active for many years now.

Unfortunately, I must report a very similar, negative experience with selling to Peter Walnes. A few weeks go, I sent him a very valuable lens to sell on commission, which he sold on eBay almost overnight while promising payment once the two-week return period he grants his buyers had expired. The price to me was fair, and I had prepared in the meantime a large shipment of other gear to send him. When I was finally ready to ship it, I realised that the payment for the 1st transaction had not been made on the agreed date. Along with profuse apologies, the excuse I was given had to do with cash-flow problems due to a higher - and earlier than expected - tax liability - and could I wait a bit longer to receive my money? I did give him an extra week for making the payment, but haven't seen it nor have I received any further messages from him.

This has left me with no choice but, indeed, to refer the matter to the Small Claims Court.

The only silver lining is that the gear in the 2nd shipment is still with me.

Whilst I have generally been happy with the items I bought from him in the past, I would not recommend selling anything to - or through - Peter Walnes.

That certainly doesn't sound good.

Keep us updated on how things end up.... I hope he'll pay up before you need to go through the whole court proceedings!

I have used him for a long time and it's sad to see good people fall.

-- hide signature --

danny125 New Member • Posts: 3

Thanks for this. I decided not to sell to him. If anyone has any suggestions for selling gear to someone reliable and who offers a fiar price let me know. i have a canon tilt shift lens that I'd only want to give away if I get a decent price

encar Forum Member • Posts: 57

nandbytes wrote:

That certainly doesn't sound good.

Keep us updated on how things end up.... I hope he'll pay up before you need to go through the whole court proceedings!

I have used him for a long time and it's sad to see good people fall.

Yes, I will report back.

I must say it was rather shocking and entirely unexpected coming from someone with his reputation.

The worst part was the lack of prior communication. Had he told me beforehand that he had temporary issues (so that I could find alternatives to meet my own commitments without relying on that particular payment) - and suggested a reasonable delay - I might have let him get away with it.

I guess the rest of the gear will go to mpb now.

danny125 wrote:

Thanks for this. I decided not to sell to him. If anyone has any suggestions for selling gear to someone reliable and who offers a fiar price let me know. i have a canon tilt shift lens that I'd only want to give away if I get a decent price

Try MPB if you are after cash.

Wex if you are happy with store credit.

-- hide signature --

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,663

ffordes.com will commission sell and I've done OK with them.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads