D4 or D800E for birds?

Started May 7, 2014 | Discussions
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,471
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I will say that is better than anything I've seen from any t.c. shot. Nice work.

Thank you very much, Reilly.

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
pranavdesai New Member • Posts: 17
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

glad to read what you have said ! i was confused between 800 and 4s and ordered the D4s yesterday !!

 pranavdesai's gear list:pranavdesai's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +4 more
nikonuserinfo Regular Member • Posts: 278
The "not expensive - can't be good" philosophy...

BIF with D800e and 28-300AF-S VR

jamesg28 wrote:

Without wanting to sound presumptuous..... consumer zooms like that are really not something I'd ever consider (and do not need to as I have a 500vr and a 300 f4 and only use Nikon glass for bird photography).

The "not expensive - can't be good" philosophy... = the philosophy of marketing victims. Marketing victims even never consider a real live comparison between outrageous expensive gear and reasonable priced gear.
Several professional photographers I know use relative old (or even really old) and inexpensive gear while getting outstanding results. Those photographers never show up on Dpreview though, or they left Dpreview a couple of years ago...

-- hide signature --

Stany
http://www.nikonuser.info
My former Dpreview profiles ( For which I do not have the Original email address anymore)
Stany Buyle
Photoforfun

 nikonuserinfo's gear list:nikonuserinfo's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D810 +1 more
Dr Bob
Dr Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069
2

Lance B wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I will say that is better than anything I've seen from any t.c. shot. Nice work.

Thank you very much, Reilly.

I have to agree with Lance on the improved performance of the 500F4 +1.4Tc over the 80-400G. I shot 20K bird images with the 80-400G until I bought the 500mmF4 a couple of months ago. Since then the 500mm has been glued to the 800E (20K more shots) except for a day last week when I left the 500mm at home for a weekend away. I took the 80-400g and shot birds for a couple of hours, but realy felt at a disadvantage. The 500mm is a significant improvement and well worth (to me) the $10K it cost. As time goes by, I want to replace every shot on my web site taken with the 80-400G with shots on the 500mm - based on reach (at the same sharpness), lower iso (hence less noise) and overall ooomph! It has taken me 2 months of shooting with the 500mm F4 (and 20k shots) to really understand how to use it and get the best out of it.

On the Tamron, everyone seems to be concentrating on sharpness. I find it very difficult to comment on sharpness for shots posted here as most people dont output sharpen for resized images very well - but what puts me off the Tamron is the poor contrast (to me!) and the very poor bokeh. These comments are based only on images presented on a thread in the wildlife formum on DPR which was live about a month ago - although I cant find it again.

To me, a big part of a bird image is the background (and it's isolation). 500mm F4 makes that happen. The bokeh has to look good. I value each small increment in 'overall improvement' hence happy to have spent a load of money on kit in the last 12 months.

 Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,471
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I have both the 500 and the 80-400 f4.5-5.6G and the 500+1.4xTC is definitely a better bet than the 80-400.

No way, Lance. The 80-400VR is sharper on my screen without a doubt, magnification aside.

I don't know what is wrong with your 500+1.4xTC combo.

Nothing, it looks fine to most people, but it is well off what is possible without the t.c.

Well, as I say, there must be something wrong with your 500 + 1.4x TC as my 500 + 1.4x TC is a tad better than my 80-400 and my 80-400 is a good version as it is sharp as a tack.

As a card carrying pixel peeper and nonrecovering perfectionist, Lance,

LOL. I am a bit that way as well.

I would simply say that no one could tell what lens you were using, be it an 80-400VR or a 500mm by looking at any picture you've got at equal framing at any magnification.

I would agree to a point. It comes down to things like micro contrast and loss of overall contrast for these lenses. I see less contrast with the 80-400.

There is a limit of available resolution and both lenses are there at f8. The Tamron maybe not, we'll see soon enough.

I think the differences will be more noticeable in the number of keepers you obtain from a 500 f4 compared to these "lesser" lenses. This comes down to AF speed and accuracy and VR for that matter, especially in low light. Yes, you will see great results from a Tamron, but not the "just throw the lens up and get a great result almost every time" that you would from a fast prime like a 300, 400, 500 or 600.

I spent a whole day shooting ducks with a brand new 500VR plus 1.4 t.c. and got some good fairly sharp pics, but I also got a great many pics like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wc1dl2xvmcs07/DSC_5336.nef

Now, I think you will agree, this is not up to what the D800e can produce by a long chalk. If the Tamron doesn't outperform this, I will send it back and let everyone know why :^)

Reilly, that does look quite ordinary and I can see why you are not happy with the result. I think there is something wrong with either the lens or the TC. If the lens is fine sans TC, then the TC must be at fault and I strongly suggest that you try another TC.

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Jabs767 Contributing Member • Posts: 904
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

T O Shooter wrote:

Lance B wrote:

jamesg28 wrote:

Hi all

A question for the bird photographers amongst us.
If money is no object and you needed/wanted a second body for birding (primarily), would the D4 ot D800 be your choice? And why?
I have and continue to heavily weigh up the obvious pros and cons of each.y conclusion is that both are awesome in their own way, and both require compromises in some areas.

As background: I currently shoot D7100 and 500vr. I love this body for its pixels on subject.
But I've always wanted a FX body to use side by side. The D800 appeals with its resolution. less of a compromise compared to dropping back to 16mp on fx with a D4. But the speed of the D4 is obviously highly appealing. Approx 50-70% of my shooting is BIF.

The D4 fps and buffer would be sensational (especially as the d7100 is also limited there).
The D800(e) resolution etc is also very appealing on the other hand. IQ is very important for me.

Is the D4 worth an extra $3000?

What would you do? All opinions gratefully received

I am mainly a birder have a D800E and from my experience, reach is very important and this is where the D800 has it over the D4 as you can crop down to 16Mp and essentially have 1.5x the reach of the D4.

My longest lens is the 500 f4 VR and even using a 1.4x TC, many a times I still need to crop. The D800E is lightning fast with AF and very accurate. A friend of mine also has the the D800 and had rented the D4 to try but found it not any better than his D800 for birding and stayed with his D800. However, the new D4s is another story, he found that so good he bought it as the AF is superb - faster and accurate than the D4, especially for fast moving subject matter. However, I still think he uses the D800 where he needs reach and only uses the D4s for extremely low light and very fasy subject matter.

There's got to be a big quality variance from body to body. Because with my D4 a hawk or a duck can pop up in front of me and the D4,will lock on and fire off a string of in focus shots that because of the quickness of the action I don't get a chance to compose and barely even get a chance to see them in the viewfinder. My 800e and my previous 800 might as well be a D50 for what good they are / were in that type of situation. I wish Nikon would get their act together and close the gap in their QC. Actually I find the D4 so good that I couldn't see wanting a D4s. I just wish my 800e had as good AF as you say yours has.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

I have both now, but my backup body for airshow work is the D800E.  1.2 crop is still 25mp and higher fps when the MD battery grip is fitted!

I agree with Lance, my D800 exhibits the same AF performance as my D4 and I have been amazed by the IQ at HI ISO.  My D3X has seldom been pulled out of the cupboard since I got the D800E.

With the grip and same battery as the D4, the only thing that lets it down now is fps.  I have shot it with the 400VR, 500VR and 600VR and TC14/17 with great results.  I just wish the D800 had the same AF capability as the D4 in maintaining AF point selection when in portrait or landscape.  It is very annoying when you have to keep changing it when you quickly rotate the camera orientation.

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 11,793
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069

jamesg28 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I have both the 500 and the 80-400 f4.5-5.6G and the 500+1.4xTC is definitely a better bet than the 80-400.

No way, Lance. The 80-400VR is sharper on my screen without a doubt, magnification aside.

I don't know what is wrong with your 500+1.4xTC combo.

Nothing, it looks fine to most people, but it is well off what is possible without the t.c.

Well, as I say, there must be something wrong with your 500 + 1.4x TC as my 500 + 1.4x TC is a tad better than my 80-400 and my 80-400 is a good version as it is sharp as a tack.

As a card carrying pixel peeper and nonrecovering perfectionist, Lance,

LOL. I am a bit that way as well.

I would simply say that no one could tell what lens you were using, be it an 80-400VR or a 500mm by looking at any picture you've got at equal framing at any magnification.

I would agree to a point. It comes down to things like micro contrast and loss of overall contrast for these lenses. I see less contrast with the 80-400.

There is a limit of available resolution and both lenses are there at f8. The Tamron maybe not, we'll see soon enough.

I think the differences will be more noticeable in the number of keepers you obtain from a 500 f4 compared to these "lesser" lenses. This comes down to AF speed and accuracy and VR for that matter, especially in low light. Yes, you will see great results from a Tamron, but not the "just throw the lens up and get a great result almost every time" that you would from a fast prime like a 300, 400, 500 or 600.

I spent a whole day shooting ducks with a brand new 500VR plus 1.4 t.c. and got some good fairly sharp pics, but I also got a great many pics like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4wc1dl2xvmcs07/DSC_5336.nef

Now, I think you will agree, this is not up to what the D800e can produce by a long chalk. If the Tamron doesn't outperform this, I will send it back and let everyone know why :^)

I can't see your photo.

It's a NEF, a raw file, which I posted in order to take my post processing out of the equation.

But all I will say is. One cannot expect to just pick up a supertele and expect to come away with brilliant results. Technique and particularly long lens technique takes time. A camera or a lens does not take a photo...... a person does

Fooey.  I've doing this photography thing for a long, long time, and I have more than adequate skill to press the AF On button and fire away with the little red square on the eye.  One of the least skilled types of photography there is if the truth be known.  I know when the gear isn't sharp. I took off the t.c. the next two days and got the expected performance back. The crops from the bare 500 look better than the t.c.  The 500VR doesn't impress me as being as good as the 80-400VR or the 600VR for focus on bifs.  I'm terribly sorry to offend all you 500VR owners, but it just isn't $10K special on the D800e compared to the 600VR.  It's not long enough, as good at tracking or as sharp.

larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,937
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069

I might add that a lot of tc's require a lot of auto focus fine tuning.  I have mine set at a +15 using the tc 1.4EII, Nikon 500 and d800e and am getting really sharp results.

Point of focus on the following image is on the left birds eye.

Larry

Pair of Pelicans

 larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tokina AT-X 70-200mm F4 PRO FX VCM-S +6 more
Dr Bob
Dr Bob Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069

larrywilson wrote:

I might add that a lot of tc's require a lot of auto focus fine tuning. I have mine set at a +15 using the tc 1.4EII, Nikon 500 and d800e and am getting really sharp results.

Point of focus on the following image is on the left birds eye.

Larry

Again, I have to agree with Larry. My 500mm F4 + 1.4TC requires a +20 fine tune but is spot on for really sharp results also. Try this one

http://andyburnsphotography.zenfolio.com/passerines/hc6a1601#hc6a1601

-- hide signature --

Andy

 Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

jamesg28 wrote:

Hi all

A question for the bird photographers amongst us.
If money is no object and you needed/wanted a second body for birding (primarily), would the D4 ot D800 be your choice? And why?
I have and continue to heavily weigh up the obvious pros and cons of each.y conclusion is that both are awesome in their own way, and both require compromises in some areas.

As background: I currently shoot D7100 and 500vr. I love this body for its pixels on subject.
But I've always wanted a FX body to use side by side. The D800 appeals with its resolution. less of a compromise compared to dropping back to 16mp on fx with a D4. But the speed of the D4 is obviously highly appealing. Approx 50-70% of my shooting is BIF.

The D4 fps and buffer would be sensational (especially as the d7100 is also limited there).
The D800(e) resolution etc is also very appealing on the other hand. IQ is very important for me.

Is the D4 worth an extra $3000?

What would you do? All opinions gratefully received

I went through this "false" dilemma a few months ago but I had a D800 and D7100. I got to use a D4 for a while and though it is fast it would have meant getting a 600mm lens (I have a 500) as it simply can't compete reach wise with the excellent D800. I also do a lot of birds in flight and the D800 is fast enough to capture swifts in flight. It also has excellent near dawn/dusk IQ and can be used if not cropping heavily up to iso6400 for birds in flight. Am very happy now I have decided that a D4 just isn't good enough for most birds.

Plenty of D800 BIF images in my D800 gallery with my signature below.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

jamesg28 wrote:

Thank you Ferguson and thank you everyone else for the wonderful comments!

Well I am not rich so money is SOME object
I can only get one and if I think I will be happy with the D800 I will happily pocket the 3k difference...... I may curse at the slow fps when I'm missing some flight shots... but I already do that now with the buffer on the D7100... but sounds like the D800 could make up for it in other areas.

You really won't miss much with the D800 and in winter light it with a 500mm f4 is much better at birds in flight than a D7100 and an 80-400afsvr. I use the latter pair for mid Spring to mid Autumn and the D800/500vr the rest of the year. I shot swifts yesterday and had a 65% in focus keeper rate.

See D800 gallery below.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Once you get used to the feather detail from the D800e, you'll Be spoiled rotten :^)

Woodstork

I've got Picture Area on My Menu such that I can switch quickly to 1.2 crop mode (24 really good MP) if the birds are small, which bumps up the frame rate substantially and cuts post processing time a bit. What a great camera!

Reilly,

nice detail and good advice. I have picture area on my function button so can change picture area without leaving the viewfinder. Works really well too.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

VertigonA380 wrote:

I'm not sure where your images end up but if your not printing big maybe you might want to consider the V3, with 20fps AF and 60fps fixed and a crop factor of 2.7 it might get you shots you would otherwise miss. This is one from my now gone V2, haven't decided about the V3 yet:

Not really a birder but I appreciate the frame rate.

The FT-1 adapter will also allow you to use your existing Nikon lenses and there is a soon to be released 189-810 (35mm Equivalent) zoom with VR.

Nice image. You are right the V3 frame rate puts even a D4s in the shade. Just received my V3 today and hopeful it can add something to the birders bag.

Brandon birder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,106
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

jamesg28 wrote:

Thank you to everyone for the excellent advice, opinions and images! Those are great WingNZ!

My other question relates to using the 2x teleconverter on the 500VR with either of these bodies. I imagine there would be no difference when it comes to that. Anyone getting decent results with that setup? Not BIF, more tripod based work. i.e. bird on nest type situation where one has time to focus, stop down etc.

It took me a year or so to properly tune my 500f4 to the 2TCEIII. Now I have it it is quite useful and better than cropping alone. But the naked lens is so good and has a quality that is lost somewhat when a TC is used. So I use the 500 mainly on it's own with a D800 but if I must have reach then the 2TCEIIII is in my bag.

Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,471
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

Jabs767 wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

Lance B wrote:

jamesg28 wrote:

Hi all

A question for the bird photographers amongst us.
If money is no object and you needed/wanted a second body for birding (primarily), would the D4 ot D800 be your choice? And why?
I have and continue to heavily weigh up the obvious pros and cons of each.y conclusion is that both are awesome in their own way, and both require compromises in some areas.

As background: I currently shoot D7100 and 500vr. I love this body for its pixels on subject.
But I've always wanted a FX body to use side by side. The D800 appeals with its resolution. less of a compromise compared to dropping back to 16mp on fx with a D4. But the speed of the D4 is obviously highly appealing. Approx 50-70% of my shooting is BIF.

The D4 fps and buffer would be sensational (especially as the d7100 is also limited there).
The D800(e) resolution etc is also very appealing on the other hand. IQ is very important for me.

Is the D4 worth an extra $3000?

What would you do? All opinions gratefully received

I am mainly a birder have a D800E and from my experience, reach is very important and this is where the D800 has it over the D4 as you can crop down to 16Mp and essentially have 1.5x the reach of the D4.

My longest lens is the 500 f4 VR and even using a 1.4x TC, many a times I still need to crop. The D800E is lightning fast with AF and very accurate. A friend of mine also has the the D800 and had rented the D4 to try but found it not any better than his D800 for birding and stayed with his D800. However, the new D4s is another story, he found that so good he bought it as the AF is superb - faster and accurate than the D4, especially for fast moving subject matter. However, I still think he uses the D800 where he needs reach and only uses the D4s for extremely low light and very fasy subject matter.

There's got to be a big quality variance from body to body. Because with my D4 a hawk or a duck can pop up in front of me and the D4,will lock on and fire off a string of in focus shots that because of the quickness of the action I don't get a chance to compose and barely even get a chance to see them in the viewfinder. My 800e and my previous 800 might as well be a D50 for what good they are / were in that type of situation. I wish Nikon would get their act together and close the gap in their QC. Actually I find the D4 so good that I couldn't see wanting a D4s. I just wish my 800e had as good AF as you say yours has.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

I have both now, but my backup body for airshow work is the D800E. 1.2 crop is still 25mp and higher fps when the MD battery grip is fitted!

I agree with Lance, my D800 exhibits the same AF performance as my D4 and I have been amazed by the IQ at HI ISO. My D3X has seldom been pulled out of the cupboard since I got the D800E.

With the grip and same battery as the D4, the only thing that lets it down now is fps. I have shot it with the 400VR, 500VR and 600VR and TC14/17 with great results. I just wish the D800 had the same AF capability as the D4 in maintaining AF point selection when in portrait or landscape. It is very annoying when you have to keep changing it when you quickly rotate the camera orientation.

That would be a good idea. I am rerally hoping the rumour of a D800s with the same AF as the new D4s.

John, I would suggest you try the mew D4s, it really is an AF speed machine.

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,471
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

T O Shooter wrote:

Lance B wrote:

jamesg28 wrote:

Hi all

A question for the bird photographers amongst us.
If money is no object and you needed/wanted a second body for birding (primarily), would the D4 ot D800 be your choice? And why?
I have and continue to heavily weigh up the obvious pros and cons of each.y conclusion is that both are awesome in their own way, and both require compromises in some areas.

As background: I currently shoot D7100 and 500vr. I love this body for its pixels on subject.
But I've always wanted a FX body to use side by side. The D800 appeals with its resolution. less of a compromise compared to dropping back to 16mp on fx with a D4. But the speed of the D4 is obviously highly appealing. Approx 50-70% of my shooting is BIF.

The D4 fps and buffer would be sensational (especially as the d7100 is also limited there).
The D800(e) resolution etc is also very appealing on the other hand. IQ is very important for me.

Is the D4 worth an extra $3000?

What would you do? All opinions gratefully received

I am mainly a birder have a D800E and from my experience, reach is very important and this is where the D800 has it over the D4 as you can crop down to 16Mp and essentially have 1.5x the reach of the D4.

My longest lens is the 500 f4 VR and even using a 1.4x TC, many a times I still need to crop. The D800E is lightning fast with AF and very accurate. A friend of mine also has the the D800 and had rented the D4 to try but found it not any better than his D800 for birding and stayed with his D800. However, the new D4s is another story, he found that so good he bought it as the AF is superb - faster and accurate than the D4, especially for fast moving subject matter. However, I still think he uses the D800 where he needs reach and only uses the D4s for extremely low light and very fasy subject matter.

There's got to be a big quality variance from body to body. Because with my D4 a hawk or a duck can pop up in front of me and the D4,will lock on and fire off a string of in focus shots that because of the quickness of the action I don't get a chance to compose and barely even get a chance to see them in the viewfinder. My 800e and my previous 800 might as well be a D50 for what good they are / were in that type of situation. I wish Nikon would get their act together and close the gap in their QC. Actually I find the D4 so good that I couldn't see wanting a D4s. I just wish my 800e had as good AF as you say yours has.

You may very well be correct. I do think my D800E is better than my previous (1st generation) D800 but could still be better, after having tried the new D4s. Having said that, I would love my D800E to have the same AF as the new D4s and I'd happily pay a premium for it. In fact, I don't see why we can't opt to pay for performance upgrades like a modular system because apparently, the AF module is the same for all of them, just that they use different algorithms. I'd be happy yo ay for an algorithm upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
OP jamesg28 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

pranavdesai wrote:

glad to read what you have said ! i was confused between 800 and 4s and ordered the D4s yesterday !!

Do let us know how you go with it

OP jamesg28 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

Lance B wrote:

You may very well be correct. I do think my D800E is better than my previous (1st generation) D800 but could still be better, after having tried the new D4s. Having said that, I would love my D800E to have the same AF as the new D4s and I'd happily pay a premium for it. In fact, I don't see why we can't opt to pay for performance upgrades like a modular system because apparently, the AF module is the same for all of them, just that they use different algorithms. I'd be happy yo ay for an algorithm upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

You would think an algorithm change could be dealt with in a firmware update? Not that i am very up with it when it comes to such technical software things.

I have not read of this rumored D800S? How likely is it, and when was the rumor saying that it could be a possiblity? I am looking to purchase within the next 1-2 months. I could wait a little bit longer but if this rumor turns into one like the D400, I will certainly NOT wait

T O Shooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,229
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

jamesg28 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

You may very well be correct. I do think my D800E is better than my previous (1st generation) D800 but could still be better, after having tried the new D4s. Having said that, I would love my D800E to have the same AF as the new D4s and I'd happily pay a premium for it. In fact, I don't see why we can't opt to pay for performance upgrades like a modular system because apparently, the AF module is the same for all of them, just that they use different algorithms. I'd be happy yo ay for an algorithm upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

You would think an algorithm change could be dealt with in a firmware update? Not that i am very up with it when it comes to such technical software things.

I have not read of this rumored D800S? How likely is it, and when was the rumor saying that it could be a possiblity? I am looking to purchase within the next 1-2 months. I could wait a little bit longer but if this rumor turns into one like the D400, I will certainly NOT wait

I made mention of D4S in the second reply in this thread. Google NikonRumors and D4S.  50% change, D4S AF, 6 fps with grip.  ++. Think it could replace all my bodies

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D2H Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D500
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 30,471
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?

jamesg28 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

You may very well be correct. I do think my D800E is better than my previous (1st generation) D800 but could still be better, after having tried the new D4s. Having said that, I would love my D800E to have the same AF as the new D4s and I'd happily pay a premium for it. In fact, I don't see why we can't opt to pay for performance upgrades like a modular system because apparently, the AF module is the same for all of them, just that they use different algorithms. I'd be happy yo ay for an algorithm upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

You would think an algorithm change could be dealt with in a firmware update? Not that i am very up with it when it comes to such technical software things.

I have not read of this rumored D800S? How likely is it, and when was the rumor saying that it could be a possiblity? I am looking to purchase within the next 1-2 months. I could wait a little bit longer but if this rumor turns into one like the D400, I will certainly NOT wait

I really can't say whether the D800S will eventuate, but I think it more likely than the D400, however, this is just pure speculation on my part. The reason I think a D800S is more of a possibility is that all it would take is a beef up/algorithm change to the AF and they were also talking of the new EXPEED 4 processor and also to ramp up the FPS. However, I have no idea when and if it will eventuate, but some have speculated later this year.

This is from Nikon Rumours and it seems exciting:

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/25/rumors-nikon-d800s-camera-preliminary-specifications.aspx/

 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads