Did I over cook the pic

Started May 5, 2014 | Questions
Chuck_FL Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Did I over cook the pic

Here is one I did  in LR with a fair amount of PP

Here is same pic that was done PP in LR and then used PSP V6 to the one step photo fix. (Im a newbie to PSP and using under a trial for now. Lot to learn). It does certainly take the PP LR jpg and seems to do a fair amount of tweaking but with default settings of PSP is this to much?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sunshine_boy
Sunshine_boy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,823
Re: Did I over cook the pic

Chuck_FL wrote:

Here is one I did in LR with a fair amount of PP

Here is same pic that was done PP in LR and then used PSP V6 to the one step photo fix. (Im a newbie to PSP and using under a trial for now. Lot to learn). It does certainly take the PP LR jpg and seems to do a fair amount of tweaking but with default settings of PSP is this to much?

I think you've done very well in both tries. I prefer the 2nd with the suggestion of less sharpening of the water.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine
ps If you see someone without a smile on, give him one of yours...

Sunshine_boy's gear list:Sunshine_boy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
giraffe Senior Member • Posts: 2,461

Like them both - having trouble deciding which I like best but I think the 2nd one wins for me.

AMAllan
AMAllan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,973

I like the color better in the second one, although I agree with Sunshine_boy; I would soften the water somewhat.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://www.pbase.com/alastair
'Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.'
...Bob Seger

Jack Sofield Senior Member • Posts: 2,487

Not only is the PP very acceptable, the capture is also great.

-- hide signature --

Always teach for understanding, not agreement.
JC Sofield
www.pbase.com/jcsofield

Jack Sofield's gear list:Jack Sofield's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,428

I choose the Corel one as well, the Adobe looks too flat. But I would also consider the background as too busy, ot too much in focus ...

Chuck_FL wrote:

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

OP Chuck_FL Contributing Member • Posts: 608

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions, etc.. Just getting into PSP.

I really need to play with PSP more, I admit. But to little time per se. Good excuse... Wrong.. But these things do take time. Even though I do software for a living, but coding...

Tried to do a mask last week on a Osprey did not work out good. To change background. Was close but would have spent days I thing to fine tune around spread wings. Gave up on that test, least for now.

Don't want to pay for The "big boy" PS because I do not like the limited Cloud concept. Kind of feels they have you by the BA$$'s.

Just trying to figure out best workflow. Many say do a lot in LR and pass it on. Yes, I did not pass TIFF to it, could have. I did with Osprey background task.

But again, lots to learn...

Thanks again to all, appreciate reply's and comments. Off to bed... Need to get younger to stay up later... LOL. Boy the good old days.

DPer's are real great people. Cheers from Sunny FL.

Chuck

BTW, Mikes how did you easily replace the background? That's what I want to do also. You did a great job. So if you can do it easily what program. Let me guess - PS? boy, if so, guess I'll have to get into the cloud subscription thing.

Sorry for 2'nd response. Eyes tired. Should have been in my first. Me bad (as my kids would tell me... LOL...)

mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,428

PhotoShop, not in a million years! I use Corel. PhotoShop doesn't have the power where I need it most. The extraction was done in Vertus, took all of a minute. The other ospreys are just copies blurred more for a pseudo depth of field.

Chuck_FL wrote:

BTW, Mikes how did you easily replace the background? That's what I want to do also. You did a great job. So if you can do it easily what program. Let me guess - PS? boy, if so, guess I'll have to get into the cloud subscription thing.

Sorry for 2'nd response. Eyes tired. Should have been in my first. Me bad (as my kids would tell me... LOL...)

-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

Babine Veteran Member • Posts: 7,152

Not over-cooked at all. In fact and IMHO, somewhat 'under-cooked' with regards to contrast, saturation and shadow relief.

Again, a subjective opinion.

Great shot... thanks for the post.

-- hide signature --

Cheers.
Gary
http://forums.dpreview.com/Galleries/8298604696/photos
http://www.pbase.com/pictek
My job is job with National Hostage Negotiators, I phoned in sick ... but the bastards talked me out of it..!!

Sunshine_boy
You can use this mask...

Chuck_FL wrote:

BTW, Mikes how did you easily replace the background? That's what I want to do also.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus C-4000 Zoom Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D60 Nikon D5200 +2 more
Michael Edward Rudge Veteran Member • Posts: 7,076
Re: Wow , what a great capture

I just fiddled with the Level sliders in cmyk, then back to RGB

Michael Edward Rudge's gear list:Michael Edward Rudge's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon Pixma MG5350
tony brown Veteran Member • Posts: 4,173

No, there's lots left in your image - more if you shot RAW.

I have lifted the shadows amonst others:- (best at 'original size')

Chuck_FL wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Tony.

Re: You can use this mask...

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Chuck_FL wrote:

BTW, Mikes how did you easily replace the background? That's what I want to do also.

Sunshine - What did you use to extract the above? Same as Mike - Fluid Mask 3 or ?

tony brown wrote:

No, there's lots left in your image - more if you shot RAW.

I have lifted the shadows amonst others:- (best at 'original size')

Chuck_FL wrote:

Thanks Tony.

Yes, I always shoot RAW (14 bit, no compression). Kind of funny when I first move them from Camera to PC using ViewNX2 most pics look like sh.t...

Then I import them into LR and go from there. Make virtual copies and try my best at PP.

Re: Wow , what a great capture

And added a nice catch of the day into the beak...

Thanks to the others that chimed in.

Sunshine_boy

Chuck_FL wrote:

Sunshine_boy wrote:

Chuck_FL wrote:

Sunshine - What did you use to extract the above? Same as Mike - Fluid Mask 3 or ?

No, just the Quick Selection tool and Refine mask in CS6. Plus a few small touches on the mask itself

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

We'll, I am a little afraid that CS6 is last cut of it, since they are moving to the Cloud and still not to cheap. Certainly PSP mask does not work well that I can tell with my limited experience for detailed subjects, such as birds. But if I am right about PSP and then needing Fluid Mask and then ... and ... maybe I should just get the stand alone CS6 and be done?

Sunshine_boy

Chuck_FL wrote:

We'll, I am a little afraid that CS6 is last cut of it, since they are moving to the Cloud and still not to cheap. Certainly PSP mask does not work well that I can tell with my limited experience for detailed subjects, such as birds. But if I am right about PSP and then needing Fluid Mask and then ... and ... maybe I should just get the stand alone CS6 and be done?

Well, I am perfectly happy with stand alone CS6+ACR but I know some of our friends perform miracles with PSP. Maybe somebody who used both can chime inn for advice.

I also use Topaz Remask which is quite good and probably as good as Fluid Mask, but again I cannot express an opinion as I never used FM. Having said that, I would urge you to read some tutorials on the use of channels to create good quality masks - if that is possible within PSP.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards
Sunshine

Thanks Sunshine. I hope others will chime in as well. Don't want to have to purchase oodles of software...

BTW, I did a few other shots of same bird and posted to my Flickr acct. The ones that end in psp.jpg were done with PSP as last step. Just taking the LR PP pic and running it through PSP.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118596665@N05/

Though the masking of the bird I tried (not this one, an Osprey) did not work out well.

So, besides really enhancing my photos overall, really need a good mask tool. Also inserting a morsel into the beak was pretty cool.

Thanks again.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads