Yellow Gin - more views

Started May 5, 2014 | Photos
A Subset Senior Member • Posts: 2,419
Yellow Gin - more views

I spent some more time playing around with that interesting building at the Yellow Gin. Here are some that I like. Any and all comments always welcome.

I think this was the one that caused all the discussion the first time around...

- A.

A Subset's gear list:A Subset's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Digital IV +9 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
dennismullen
dennismullen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,019
Re: Yellow Gin - more views

You did a very nice job capturing the light on these.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at www.dennismullen.com.

OP A Subset Senior Member • Posts: 2,419

dennismullen wrote:

You did a very nice job capturing the light on these.

Thanks Dennis.  

- A.

Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Digital IV +9 more
Vinny311
Vinny311 Forum Member • Posts: 77

I really like all, but the second one is really nice for portraiture...

-- hide signature --

Old glass...timeless beauty (Minolta Lenses)

Vinny311's gear list:Vinny311's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a7R Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +11 more

Vinny311 wrote:

I really like all, but the second one is really nice for portraiture...

Thanks Vinny!

But... uh, er... WHAT???

- A.

cosmonaut
cosmonaut Senior Member • Posts: 2,223

It's kind of to much to critique at one time. In the second one the pole splits the image right down the middle which hurts it. I think you need a better subject or at least another element for interest. It's always good to when covering a subject like this to get some close ups as well of other things around the area of interest.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

cosmonaut wrote:

It's kind of to much to critique at one time. In the second one the pole splits the image right down the middle which hurts it.

Hmm.  I actually like that division, and I frequently divide my images in two.

I think you need a better subject or at least another element for interest. It's always good to when covering a subject like this to get some close ups as well of other things around the area of interest.

I actually have an entire book on this particular cotton GIN which you can see for free if you care to.  Since doing the book I've gotten more access and shot a lot more stuff and so I hope to be revising the book at some point.  Next year when the crop is being processed I hope to get some dynamic images of the entire processing operation, but my interest is purely esthetic, not documentary.

This particular exercise was just my wanting to play around with the patterns of this particular building as a result of a conversation I had with someone else regarding that second image.  I love patterns, and this was an attempt to take these patterns and make them work.  I guess, for you, they didn't.   That's cool.  I do appreciate your taking the time to share your thinking with me.

- A.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads