RX1, does it still makes sense?

Started May 5, 2014 | Discussions
va2k0r
va2k0r Regular Member • Posts: 454
RX1, does it still makes sense?

Since you can now find it on Ebay for around 1700 euros do you think it still makes sense now that A7 is out?
RX1 lens in sharper and faster than 35 mm 2.8 and the lens/body combo is slightly more expensive. What do you think?

va2k0r's gear list:va2k0r's gear list
Nikon D3300 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon 85mm F1.8G +1 more
Sony Alpha a7 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hersh Kleinberg Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: RX1, does it still makes sense?

With the RX1, it is all about the size.  I love it particularly when I travel and would never trade it for the A7.  With the resolution, there is plenty to work with for zooming in after the fact. The digital zoom isn't bad either. All in one compact though solid feeling unit.  I haven't worked with the A7, but the files it produce are the best I have worked with having a lot of dynamic range to work with and sharp results.  I recently went to a wedding in Israel with nothing but the RX1 and brought back the best pictures to date (4th wedding there) and got better low light closeups then I ever did with longer lenses.

If you want portable go with the RX1, you won't be disappointed.  If you really need to be able to switch out for a long zoom or extremely wide angle lens then go with the interchangeable lens camera.

bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,446

va2k0r wrote:

Since you can now find it on Ebay for around 1700 euros do you think it still makes sense now that A7 is out?
RX1 lens in sharper and faster than 35 mm 2.8 and the lens/body combo is slightly more expensive. What do you think?

I really see the RX1/r and A7/r as apples and oranges.

The RX1/r is a small and extremely capable fixed lens camera.  If 35mm is enough for you, then it's your camera.

OTOH, the A7/r is a system camera that allows you to switch out lenses as you wish.

Pick your poison.

BTW, I think that the RX1 can complement a system camera and lenses very well when you don't want to lug around the larger camera and lenses.  FWIW, I own and use both an RX1r and Canon 5D3 and several lenses.

Nevada Landscapes
Nevada Landscapes Regular Member • Posts: 197
It all depends

I sold my RX1 for an A7R and I've been very happy with the change.  I really enjoyed my RX1, but the attached viewfinder and ability to change lenses was the impetus for me.  This makes sense for me as I'm a landscape photographer primarily and the option to go wider is a must.  If 35mm is your primary perspective, then it is hard to beat the RX1.  It is well built, has a super quiet shutter, and outputs fantastic files.  I will say this though, had I not owned an RX1, I probably would have bought a Nikon D800 instead of my A7R.  So the RX1 really opened my mind to a Sony FF system.

Nevada Landscapes's gear list:Nevada Landscapes's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Samsung NX1 Sony a7 III GoPro Hero5 Black +1 more
JohnDM New Member • Posts: 15

The way I see it the rx1 only costs a bit more than a really good lens.
The amount of times I have packet my camera bag with the gear I think I need and the left it behind and took the rx1.

FramerDave Contributing Member • Posts: 653

JohnDM wrote:

The way I see it the rx1 only costs a bit more than a really good lens.
The amount of times I have packet my camera bag with the gear I think I need and the left it behind and took the rx1.

That is the way I see it as well looking at non AF Zeiss Distagon 35mm f2 at $1100. With the RX1 I got one of the best optically stabilized auto focus 35mm f2 Zeiss lens match to the FF sensor. The whole package is barely larger than and lighter than the above Zeiss 35mm lens. Granted it is pricey but as a bonus I got a silent leaf shutter and full flash sync, well shielded from dust and NO lens changing.

If this only somewhat makes sense now wait till the rumored curved sensor arrives. I hope they make 3 versions: 24mm, 35mm/50mm and 85mm. Stuff all 3 in my camera bag and I am ready. Start saving guys!

Priaptor
Priaptor Senior Member • Posts: 2,025

va2k0r wrote:

YUP.

I REALLY wanted to find a reason to buy the A7R and sell my RX1-I mean I REALLY REALLY DID!

I had my cart filled out several times, especially with the discounts on the combinations.

BUT when it was all said and done, the 35mm F2.8/A7R has a decent lens but not up to par of the RX1 and the best lens, namely the 55 F1.8 makes the combination so large it kind of defeats the purpose of having a small camera and I don't see the trend changing with the release of the 70-200.

One of the things I loved about my old Leica cameras was the size of both camera and lens (maybe not the weight) which so far, with the exception of the 35 f2.8, the A7R can't compete with the RX1 as a tiny walk around camera.

Priaptor's gear list:Priaptor's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8
coody
coody Senior Member • Posts: 2,017
Re: RX1, does it still makes sense? Yes, it is good except for the zoom and price

No text.

eilivk Senior Member • Posts: 2,077

va2k0r wrote:

If very high quality is important, I would think so. The good sides are well known, but to me the way you can process JPEGs is beyond expectations and you can crop a lot. You have to seek extreme conditions to see how good it really is. - If your need is a bit lower on the scale, A7 could be better with more options. And in-built EVF is more practical even compared to the RX one in it's smallest form.

As an amateur should have waited for A7 or something like that, it's "good enough", but can't imagine selling RX1. Now and then it "pays back" for the high cost.

eilivk's gear list:eilivk's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Ricoh CX4 Sony RX1 +11 more
TFD Forum Member • Posts: 99

No

Robert Cain Senior Member • Posts: 1,105

TFD wrote:

No

Yes

Hi All

I had my RX1 up for sale on ebay but changed my mind and kept it.

Will use it has my take every where camera'

My A7r and 55mm f1.8 I will build my system around, all I need is 16/35mm f4FE Zoom and short tele 85/100mm f2 if and when Sony get to release them.

The 70 200mm f4 to big and to white for my needs.

A few shots with the RX1 at the link below.

Cheers

Rob

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jojorob2009/sets/72157644171469471/

Still Breathing

Robert Cain's gear list:Robert Cain's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4
lattesweden
lattesweden Senior Member • Posts: 1,700

"With the RX1 I got one of the best optically stabilized auto focus 35mm f2 Zeiss lens match to the FF sensor."

I don't have a RX1 but Google suggest that it does not have stabilization other than in video mode via software?

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
I'm from Sweden, but my pictures are in all languages: http://500px.com/anderslattermann

FramerDave Contributing Member • Posts: 653

lattesweden wrote:

"With the RX1 I got one of the best optically stabilized auto focus 35mm f2 Zeiss lens match to the FF sensor."

I don't have a RX1 but Google suggest that it does not have stabilization other than in video mode via software?

Yes, I stand corrected, electronic stabilization in movie mode only.

I also forgot to mention close focusing (0.26x in macro mode) and aperture selection ring on lens barrel.

wazu
wazu Senior Member • Posts: 1,407
Re: It all depends

Nevada Landscapes wrote:

I sold my RX1 for an A7R and I've been very happy with the change. I really enjoyed my RX1, but the attached viewfinder and ability to change lenses was the impetus for me. This makes sense for me as I'm a landscape photographer primarily and

>>the option to go wider is a must...

just out of curiosity what wida angle lens and adapter have you found works well for landscape. All of the reviews and blogs I have read indicate using WA lenses and adapters male the combœ prone to soft corners, vinjetting and other undersireable anomalies.

teseg
teseg Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

Yes.

Quality is unbeatable at 35mm.

I love not changing lenses.

I love the aperture ring.

I love the macro-mode

I love how it taught me to operate in Manual mode w/ Auto ISO.

I love how it got me to "see" in 35mm

The solid body is exceptional.

I've owned it for 1 1/2 years and can still honestly say this camera is at the technological edge of quality.

At least 25% - 50% of the 7500 shots taken since I've had this camera likely would not have happened if I did not own because I would not have been lugging around a system camera on my business travels.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX10 III
agfa100 Regular Member • Posts: 467

As someone who just picked up a used one this week I have to say YES!.  Coming from M film cameras who thinks that the M digital is just not worth the $$$$ and I have been using a Ricoh GXR for the past three years but I have been missing a 35mm frame size. Using my CV 21 mm f4.0 just does not cut it for low light/ no light pictures.  Now yesterday was my first day out with the RX-1 and besides getting rained on I had a wonderful time with the camera.  I am trying to use my Leica 35mm OVF instead of getting the EVF I am used to doing that but I did miss on the focus on two pictures I really wanted yesterday.  I will just have to get used to it and see how it goes....

wbill

agfa100's gear list:agfa100's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha a7S Canon Pixma Pro-100
Richie S Contributing Member • Posts: 502

I am still in love with mine, but it's still a very different beast from a system Camera. It's all about simplicity of use and quality.

I only bought mine as a refurb recently, and ended up paying more than I would have done for an A7 and 35mm given all the specials and trade ins that were on offer almost as soon as I got the RX1.

I kicked myself a bit n that, but then as you use it you realise it fills a different role.

having said that it was always a niche product and it's now a couple of years old, which in Sony terms is a lifetime.

Oldwino Regular Member • Posts: 152

Having the EVF completely changes the camera. I cannot image using it without it anymore. A must-purchase in my opinion.

Oldwino's gear list:Oldwino's gear list
Leica X2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
abortabort Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

Lovely camera, but hard to justify.

I paid LESS for my A7 + 35mm Zeiss + 55mm Zeiss + LA-EA4 Alpha adapter + Metabones EF smart adapter III than the retail price of an RX1 without EVF.

I will still likely own one one day, but hard to compete with the above.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Leica M8 Nikon D700 +54 more
bhollis
bhollis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,446

abortabort wrote:

Lovely camera, but hard to justify.

I paid LESS for my A7 + 35mm Zeiss + 55mm Zeiss + LA-EA4 Alpha adapter + Metabones EF smart adapter III than the retail price of an RX1 without EVF.

I will still likely own one one day, but hard to compete with the above.

Lots of ways to look at this . . .

First of all, if you want a system camera, the RX1 can't compete, because it's a standalone, fixed-lens camera.

There's no doubt that the RX1/r is an expensive camera, but I think the price can be justified.  First of all, it comes with a truly exquisite lens, which is perfectly matched to the RX1/r body and sensor.  IMO, the RX1/r will produce noticeably nicer images than just about any other body/35mm lens combo out there.  And at f/2, it's also quite fast.  Then there's the build quality, which is also exquisite.

So, compared to the A7 with the 35mm Zeiss, the RX1/r is one-stop faster, and noticeably sharper.  As compared to the A7 with the 55mm Zeiss, IQ is closer, but the A7 and 55mm lens combo is significantly larger and heavier than the RX1/r.  And then there's the build quality . . .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads