In praise of the V3

Started May 5, 2014 | Discussions
MrSkelter Contributing Member • Posts: 705
In praise of the V3

I've been watching the 1 system since launch. The speed has always been the appeal. As a parent with two small children my many (and I mean 40+) cameras have failed me. The only option for really high speed are pro bodies which are too big. Not too big for me, but too big to manage whilst being a parent. I refuse to become a 'photographer' who observes my children while indulging a hobby.

I didn't buy the V1 because the lenses didn't appeal. I don't shoot zooms on anything. The primes just weren't exciting. Then came the 32mm and the V2 but the beautiful Bahaus design of the V1 gave way to the the V2 which was just too ugly to own. Finally the V3 arrives. No big improvement in quality but pretty enough and I jump. V3, grip, viewfinder, kit zoom (never mounted), 32mm, 10mm 2.8, 6.7-13 zoom (a first - my first zoom ever) and the 18.5 1.8.

Wow.

The speed and tracking are everything I hoped. More so in fact. It's the fastest body I've ever used of any type. People moan about the price but I don't see it. The camera will track my child running, full-speed, into the lens in midday sun, at f1.2, with a 1/16,000 shutter if need be at 20fps. There's nothing else I know of that'll do that. I can take picture I just couldn't before. The closest I could get would be a D4 or 1DX, about half as fast and ten times the weight.

If you're a multi-system shooter, who can put up with only okay low-light performance, I'd recommend this body over anything for this work. I had the budget to buy anything I wanted, but I don't want weight and all the APS-C offerings are much slower and offer only much larger lenses (I'm looking at you Sony).

Downsides? I wish I could get GPS without giving up the EVF. GPS is now essential and its omission is ridiculous. I'd also like to be able to change the shooting mode between high-speed and single with a single dial or button press. The function buttons won't let me unless I've missed something. Finally, compared to my other 'weird' carry-everywhere body, the Pentax K-01 (so slow, so good), the build quality is appalling. Yes it's built better than most compacts but have you touched a K-01? Milled from a lump of solid quality (until you get to the rubber card door). They cost the same as new, build it that well.

Finally I have no issues with the micro-SD. I always buy a card for each new camera and this can be adapted to be read by anything. Make the smaller card the standard now and give space back in the body for to tech and battery. There's no downside unless you're trying to cheap-out on memory (which makes no sense, memory always gets faster). Suck it up. Reminds me of the blowhards who bemoan SD over CF.

I love the thing. If you have kids it's a no-brainer.

Canon EOS-1D Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D4 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bleeboo Regular Member • Posts: 153
Re: In praise of the V3

I have the V3 also. I had the V2, too, and I think that the IQ is exponentially better with the V3.

Can I ask you...when you're shooting 20fps and tracking your subject...do you turn the tracking focus on when your subject is far away, and do you have your subject run straight towards the camera?

I've tried tracking focus on my dogs, trying to get the results you're getting, however, it never seems, because of the dog's random and unscripted movements, I can get the tracking box to stay on the dog it initially it was placed on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bleeboo's gear list:bleeboo's gear list
Panasonic GH5
havanna60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,640
V1 vs V3 for a running child photographer wanting GPS

MrSkelter wrote:

I didn't buy the V1 because the lenses didn't appeal.

Hi, my children have grown up, but I understand your requirements and enthusiasm. The fast prime lenses are available today for the V1, and a V1 is around $300 (EVF included).

the V2 which was just too ugly to own.

Agree

Finally the V3 arrives. No big improvement in quality but pretty enough and I jump.

If the 18M and tilting touch screen are not big improvements, then one more reason to go for the V1.

32mm, 10mm 2.8, 6.7-13 zoom (a first - my first zoom ever) and the 18.5 1.8.

All of these work fine with the V1. Instead of the 32mm I bought FT1 and 50mm/f1.4G.

The speed and tracking are everything I hoped. More so in fact. It's the fastest body I've ever used of any type. People moan about the price but I don't see it. The camera will track my child running, full-speed, into the lens in midday sun, at f1.2, with a 1/16,000 shutter if need be at 20fps. There's nothing else I know of that'll do that. I can take picture I just couldn't before. The closest I could get would be a D4 or 1DX, about half as fast and ten times the weight.

Exactly the same propaganda that convinced me to go for V1 a year ago: I paid $300.

I had the budget to buy anything I wanted,

One reason to buy the V3

I wish I could get GPS without giving up the EVF. GPS is now essential and its omission is ridiculous.

Totally agree, I keep my GPS unit attached on my V1 all the time. I'd prefer a built-in GPS, though. One more point for V1.

I'd also like to be able to change the shooting mode between high-speed and single with a single dial or button press. The function buttons won't let me unless I've missed something.

Hmm, I think this is (more-or-less) possible with the V1, unless I've missed something.

Milled from a lump of solid quality

One more point for V1.

Finally I have no issues with the micro-SD.

That is, you could live with old style SD, too: no reason to buy V3.

Hey, I was just kidding I am a V1 fan, and I tried to exploit your excellent story in a V1 owner's perspective. Actually, I will definitely upgrade to V3, but because budget is important for me, and I am not in a rush, I'll wait until the price of V3 (no EVF, no grip) drops to $300.

Miki

havanna60's gear list:havanna60's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony a7 Sony a5100 +9 more
aandeg Regular Member • Posts: 219

Seeing all the positive comments by owners on this forum and others is very helpful.  Thank you

aandeg's gear list:aandeg's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200
dougjgreen1 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,068
IMHO, the V2 looks are under-rated

MrSkelter wrote:

I didn't buy the V1 because the lenses didn't appeal. I don't shoot zooms on anything. The primes just weren't exciting. Then came the 32mm and the V2 but the beautiful Bahaus design of the V1 gave way to the the V2 which was just too ugly to own.

I believe that it's form follows function.   It looks the way it does because it's looks serve a purpose.  The grip and EVF appears huge, because in reality, the main body of the camera is as small as a typical point and shoot - most of which have no EVFs and flimsy, inadequate grips along the lines of the V1.   I couldn't even hold a V1 securely one-handed unless I added an accessory grip to it, like a Franiec grip (which is good looking and functional, but a tad pricey relative to a fire-sale V1 body) or a Flipbac grip (which is cheap and functional but ugly).

The EVF is a big protrusion, but that's because it houses a flash in it as well which can at least set off a slave - something the V1 sorely misses.

Tom Hogan correctly points out that Nikon undid much of the integration and ergonomic goodness of the V2 and it's integrated EVF and Grip because they likely did a knee-jerk reaction to the V2 having been called ugly by reviewers.  To me, a camera's looks take a distant back seat to how it fits in the shooter's hand in actual use.  People who buy a camera based upon streamlined appearance deserve the inferior ergonomics that they get as a result.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695
Re: IMHO, the V2 looks are under-rated

Agreed. While beauty of form is a nice thing to have in our electronic widgets, I sometimes get the feeling people look at them more as a fashion accessory instead of a device meant to accomplish a job. The V2 mostly looks like a mini-DSLR to me. At the end of the day, it is a tool and I want the form of the tool to allow it to perform its job well. The only place I've seen the V2 disparaged regarding its looks is on photography forums. In the real world, people I've run into are very complimentary.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
OP MrSkelter Contributing Member • Posts: 705

I should clarify. I misspoke. I am using continuous autofocus and handling the tracking myself. That's a simpler task than having the camera track both distance and position in the frame. Having your subject run towards you means tracking by hand is much simpler too.

dougjgreen1 wrote:

People who buy a camera based upon streamlined appearance deserve the inferior ergonomics that they get as a result.

Design is how something works, not just how it looks. There's no need for the V2 to be ugly. It may have worked better than the V1 for some people, but the aesthetics telegraph a lack of care shared by all ugly products.

Better design is always more attractive because form following function is innately elegant. Look at how military objects are fetishized for a perfect example of this.

How something looks is a perfectly valid way to make a superficial assessment of quality. 'Pretty' products that don't work aren't pretty at all and the people who like them have bad taste.

DesertCat wrote:

Agreed. While beauty of form is a nice thing to have in our electronic widgets, I sometimes get the feeling people look at them more as a fashion accessory instead of a device meant to accomplish a job. The V2 mostly looks like a mini-DSLR to me. At the end of the day, it is a tool and I want the form of the tool to allow it to perform its job well. The only place I've seen the V2 disparaged regarding its looks is on photography forums. In the real world, people I've run into are very complimentary.

People have horrible taste and cameras are second only to sneakers in being universally horrible looking. Design standards are terrible.

The idea that design and functionality are at odds is false as I've stated in another comment. The best designs are beautiful - be they tractors, spanners or cameras.

Nikon of course know this, hence the departure of the V3 from the V2 and V1.

JL Salvignol
JL Salvignol Senior Member • Posts: 1,920
Marcus Vitruvius Pollio

Vitruvius is famous for asserting in his book De architectura that a structure must exhibit the three qualities of firmitas, utilitas, venustas – that is, it must be solid, useful, beautiful. (wiki)

Just what you write, MrS! V3's specifications, what our dear Friend Thom H. never understand.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J1 Pentax K-01 +31 more
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,912

dougjgreen1 wrote:

The EVF is a big protrusion, but that's because it houses a flash in it as well which can at least set off a slave - something the V1 sorely misses.

Where is the flash in the EVF?  Or do you mean that the V3 has a pop-up flash?

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Bill Dewey wrote:

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Where is the flash in the EVF? Or do you mean that the V3 has a pop-up flash?

I was referring to the V2 - which has a pop-up flash attached to the EVF protrusion

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 +17 more
Bill Dewey Veteran Member • Posts: 7,912

Ah, got it, bad parsing job on my part.  I actually think this is a failure on Nikon's part, not allowing the use of even the Series 1 flashes on the V3 when the EVF is attached.  For me this is not an issue, for what I shoot, but it sure does seem rather short-sighted, if not downright dumb, to me.

Then again, it does leave the EVF-II open, for a slightly higher price .....

-- hide signature --

Bill Dewey
www.thefocusedeye.com

Jerry Fisher Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

Perhaps I am mis-understnding re: the on board flash on the V3, if someone could clarify.

Does the flash only operate without the electronic view finder attached OR are you referring to the optional flashes having to use the same port as the viewfinder ?

Just playing mind games with myself--v2 or v3  ???  Really don't want to spend the $$ for the V3 but the tilting screen is very appealing...if only the IQ question difference between the 2 cameras

Could move the needle dramatically on direction or the other.....

Jerry Fisher's gear list:Jerry Fisher's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +3 more
DesertCat Contributing Member • Posts: 695

Fair enough.  I admit, especially when it comes to computers, that I despise flashy designs that remind me of sneakers.  I'm much more into the simple, elegant, streamlined look for those.  I do appreciate how nice many of the Fuji "range finder" mirrorless cameras look.  I'm not, however, turned off by the looks of the V2.  I honestly don't see the issue.

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more

MrSkelter wrote:

DesertCat wrote:

People have horrible taste and cameras are second only to sneakers in being universally horrible looking. Design standards are terrible.

The idea that design and functionality are at odds is false as I've stated in another comment. The best designs are beautiful - be they tractors, spanners or cameras.

Nikon of course know this, hence the departure of the V3 from the V2 and V1.

The V2 looks quite a bit better than ANY tractor.   And the V1's streamlined looks were counterproductive to it's utility -  in terms of not having a flash, in terms of not having any controls that were above the top plate,  and not having any substantive grip.   Having never held a V3, I can't comment on it's looks relative to functionality, but the V2 is entirely utilitarian - in much the same way that the Nikon Photomic FTn was.

Objectively,  a Nikon Photomic FTn, or a Leica M3, or a Rolleiflex TLR are not attractive in the abstract.   But they were all such exceptionally utilitarian devices that they became iconic, and redefined the concept of what a camera of those types should look like .  I'm not in any way suggesting that the Nikon V2 is such a device - but it's not it's looks that holds it back from that, just that none of the Nikon 1 series cameras is exceptional enough to be that sort of an icon - but the fact is, the V2's design is the most utilitarian of all Nikon 1 cameras.  The dis-integration of the EVF and Grip in the V3 have not added to it's functionality, even if they have added to it's looks.

rfbarr
rfbarr New Member • Posts: 13

Jerry Fisher wrote:

Perhaps I am mis-understnding re: the on board flash on the V3, if someone could clarify.

Does the flash only operate without the electronic view finder attached OR are you referring to the optional flashes having to use the same port as the viewfinder ?

Just playing mind games with myself--v2 or v3 ??? Really don't want to spend the $$ for the V3 but the tilting screen is very appealing...if only the IQ question difference between the 2 cameras

Could move the needle dramatically on direction or the other.....

When you have the EVF attached to the hot shoe it takes up the mounts space on the camera.  That is the same mount you would use for the speed-light or off camera flash.  You can' use both accessories at once.

rfbarr's gear list:rfbarr's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 +8 more
rfbarr
rfbarr New Member • Posts: 13

MrSkelter wrote:

Downsides? I wish I could get GPS without giving up the EVF. GPS is now essential and its omission is ridiculous.

Why is GPS important now?  I have never had a need for it, and when I have a camera that has GPS (Like my Phone) I make sure to remove the location metadata.  Always been curious why people like GPS.

rfbarr's gear list:rfbarr's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 +8 more
Jerry Fisher Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

can you elaborate on the IQ difference or have some side by side comparisons to show us.

Really wrestling with V3 vs V2. Is the cost differential worth the investment ?

Jerry Fisher's gear list:Jerry Fisher's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +3 more
halai Contributing Member • Posts: 845

MrSkelter wrote:

I've been watching the 1 system since launch. The speed has always been the appeal. As a parent with two small children my many (and I mean 40+) cameras have failed me. The only option for really high speed are pro bodies which are too big. Not too big for me, but too big to manage whilst being a parent. I refuse to become a 'photographer' who observes my children while indulging a hobby.

I didn't buy the V1 because the lenses didn't appeal. I don't shoot zooms on anything. The primes just weren't exciting. Then came the 32mm and the V2 but the beautiful Bahaus design of the V1 gave way to the the V2 which was just too ugly to own. Finally the V3 arrives. No big improvement in quality but pretty enough and I jump. V3, grip, viewfinder, kit zoom (never mounted), 32mm, 10mm 2.8, 6.7-13 zoom (a first - my first zoom ever) and the 18.5 1.8.

Wow.

If you're a multi-system shooter, who can put up with only okay low-light performance, I'd recommend this body over anything for this work. I had the budget to buy anything I wanted, but I don't want weight and all the APS-C offerings are much slower and offer only much larger lenses (I'm looking at you Sony).

Downsides? I wish I could get GPS without giving up the EVF. GPS is now essential and its omission is ridiculous. I'd also like to be able to change the shooting mode between high-speed and single with a single dial or button press. The function buttons won't let me unless I've missed something. Finally, compared to my other 'weird' carry-everywhere body, the Pentax K-01 (so slow, so good), the build quality is appalling. Yes it's built better than most compacts but have you touched a K-01? Milled from a lump of solid quality (until you get to the rubber card door). They cost the same as new, build it that well.

Finally I have no issues with the micro-SD. I always buy a card for each new camera and this can be adapted to be read by anything. Make the smaller card the standard now and give space back in the body for to tech and battery. There's no downside unless you're trying to cheap-out on memory (which makes no sense, memory always gets faster). Suck it up. Reminds me of the blowhards who bemoan SD over CF.

Do you have any pictures of your kids running with this camera?  I am also interested but not sure how it tracks.  Thanks!

Halai

halai's gear list:halai's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony a7 III Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads