OSS with a monopod - anyone actually tested it?

Started May 3, 2014 | Questions
James Sherman
James Sherman Senior Member • Posts: 2,480
OSS with a monopod - anyone actually tested it?

I know OSS on a tripod is a no-no, but I've never seen any discussion of actual tests of a tele lens on a monopod with the OSS on vs OSS off. Has anyone actually tried this out? I'd do it myself, but I'm wobbly myself, so I don't how much I'd be proving.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
ANSWER:
Dustinash Contributing Member • Posts: 663
Re: OSS with a monopod - anyone actually tested it?

I have shot with it on a fluid head monopod and it turned out stellar.  I think the systems are getting better.  That said it was video and under certain circumstances it maybe no good

Ynos Regular Member • Posts: 182

James Sherman wrote:

I know OSS on a tripod is a no-no, but I've never seen any discussion of actual tests of a tele lens on a monopod with the OSS on vs OSS off. Has anyone actually tried this out? I'd do it myself, but I'm wobbly myself, so I don't how much I'd be proving.

Monopod will eliminate main axis of vibration (vertical one), but there still will be motion left (back and forth, left to right etc), so I think OSS should perform just fine on monopods.

James Sherman
OP James Sherman Senior Member • Posts: 2,480

Ynos wrote:

James Sherman wrote:

Monopod will eliminate main axis of vibration (vertical one), but there still will be motion left (back and forth, left to right etc), so I think OSS should perform just fine on monopods.

Logically, I agree with you, but I've never seen real proof of that. You'd think someone would have a tested, definitive, answer (at least for one lens - grasping at straws, here). What I'd reallylike to see is someone's results with the FE 70-200, preferably on an A7r since I'm dreaming. Being somewhat crippy, I can't hand hold that for very long (sez I, whose lens is on order) and a tripod on a mobility scooter is just a major PITA.

Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
James Sherman
Nobody?

So is this an Urban Myth, or has some rowdy soul actually tried it? Any long-ish lens with OSS will do!

maccam
maccam Contributing Member • Posts: 662
Re: Nobody?

James Sherman wrote:

So is this an Urban Myth, or has some rowdy soul actually tried it? Any long-ish lens with OSS will do!

What's to test? A tripod is steady and turn off IS. A monopod is not very steady (especially with a really long lens). My Tamron 200-500 on the A77 was rockin and rollin zoomed out to 500. There was some wind and the subjects were water fowl. The first time I tried this rig and am going back to the tripod (with IS off).

jaw

maccam's gear list:maccam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Euell Senior Member • Posts: 2,319

The image stabilization on Canon lenses works fine on a monopod, so I assume Sony OSS probably does as well.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a6000 Sony a6500 +16 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
James Sherman

Finally, a definitive answer. So much of what's posted here is hearsay and assumption. I expected this to be how it turned out, but I've certainly found myself in error enough times to ask for experience.

baltimorecaesar Regular Member • Posts: 470

I've used OSS with the SEL35f18 and NEX-7 on a monopod and it worked great, almost looked like it was on a tripod.  Certainly looked better with OSS on then off.

baltimorecaesar's gear list:baltimorecaesar's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,299

baltimorecaesar wrote:

I've used OSS with the SEL35f18 and NEX-7 on a monopod and it worked great, almost looked like it was on a tripod. Certainly looked better with OSS on then off.

What shutter speeds were that?

Depending on FL, 1/10th on a monopod, if heald steady, should be fine without OSS...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +35 more
James Sherman

Agreed. I was looking more for something in the 135+ range, where you could see evidence of camera shake easily. I'm getting a 70-200 and will need to support it.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
70-200G

Ynos wrote:

James Sherman wrote:

Logically, I agree with you, but I've never seen real proof of that. You'd think someone would have a tested, definitive, answer (at least for one lens - grasping at straws, here). What I'd reallylike to see is someone's results with the FE 70-200, preferably on an A7r since I'm dreaming. Being somewhat crippy, I can't hand hold that for very long (sez I, whose lens is on order) and a tripod on a mobility scooter is just a major PITA.

It is one of the tele lenses that is likely designed for use on tripod with OSS. There is a two mode selection for OSS on the lens and that may be to enable OSS with tripod/monopod in use.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
James Sherman
Re: 70-200G

I thought of that switch, but I thought it basically allowed you to switch OFF the horizontal OSS so the camera could be panned without going all herky-jerky when OSS was on.  That's a subject for investigation whenever my lens gets here.

baltimorecaesar Regular Member • Posts: 470

blue_skies wrote:

baltimorecaesar wrote:

I've used OSS with the SEL35f18 and NEX-7 on a monopod and it worked great, almost looked like it was on a tripod. Certainly looked better with OSS on then off.

Depending on FL, 1/10th on a monopod, if heald steady, should be fine without OSS...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Sorry, forgot to mention this was while shooting video

baltimorecaesar's gear list:baltimorecaesar's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS
James Sherman

baltimorecaesar wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

baltimorecaesar wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Sorry, forgot to mention this was while shooting video

Which doesn't count, really. Video images are "fixed up" by your brain as you watch. A nice sharp (looking) video can be made up from a lot of awful images.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads